none
Windows 8.1 cannot connect to internet

Question

• I have installed Windoqw 8.1 (with Hyper-V feature) on my Win7 laptop (ASUS B43S). Win 8 is installed as a second OS, on its own partition. Things went relatively well until I tried to connect to the internet.  Using the "Manually connect to a WiFi network" Wizard, the system connects to my local network just fine, but does not connect to the internet.  To eliminate the possibility of ISP issues, I tried running the "Connect to your Internet Service Provider by dial-up or broadband".  As expected, it didn't make any difference.  I tried the "install a new driver from this computer, as suggested elsewhere in this forum.  Finally, I ran the troubleshooter wizard, which gave me the following message:

Windows Network Diagnostics                                                               Publisher details

Issues found

"vEthernet (New Virtual Switch)" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Not fixed

Investigate router or broadband modem issues

Failed

Reset the "vEthernet (New Virtual Switch)" adapter

Completed

Issues found                                                                                                   Detection details

6          "vEthernet (New Virtual Switch)" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Not fixed

Investigate router or broadband modem issues

Failed

If you're connected to a hotspot or domain network, contact the network administrator. Otherwise: 1. Unplug or turn off the device. 2. After all the lights on the device are off, wait at least 10 seconds. 3. Turn the device on or plug it back into the power outlet. To restart a router or modem that has a built-in battery, press and quickly release the Reset button.

Reset the "vEthernet (New Virtual Switch)" adapter

Completed

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)

Network adapter vEthernet (New Virtual Switch) driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter

Manufacturer  . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft

Provider  . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft

Version   . . . . . . . . . . . : 6.3.9431.0

Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\WINDOWS\INF\wvms_mp.inf

Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 15, 2013  7:50:04 PM

Section Name  . . . . . . . . . : VMSMP.ndi

Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : vms_mp

Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200b

Device Manager Status Code  . . : 0

IfType  . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6

Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 0

Collection information

Computer Name:                                DADLAP-B43S

Windows Version:                              6.3

Architecture:                                      x64

Time:                                                 Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:52:49 PM

Publisher details

Windows Network Diagnostics

Detects problems with network connectivity.

Package Version:          1.0

Publisher:         Microsoft Windows

Top of Form 1

It seems to me that the problem has something to do with Hyper-V, but I don't have enough experience to trouble-shoot further.  Suggestions?

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:30 PM

Answers

• Please remove all hyper-v virtual switch from hyper-v manager console, and try connect to Internet again. You also can delete the network adapt driver from Device Manager and restart the PC for a test.

If issue persists, collect ipconfig /all information for me.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please be aware that this issue can be caused if the VM Network Adapter doesn't setup correctly.

Please check following articles and try solutions there and let me know what’s going on:

FIX WINDOWS 8 AND HYPER-V VIRTUAL SWITCH PROBLEMS

http://blog.siliconvalve.com/2012/09/26/fix-windows-8-and-hyper-v-virtual-switch-problems/

Windows Hyper-V "Unidentified Network"

http://www.howtonetworking.com/virtualization/hyper-vnet1.htm

Also, I would like share following articles with you to see the detailed information about creating external switch in hyper-v:

Hyper-V Virtual Switch 101: How to create and use Virtual Switches to connect Virtual Machines to Network

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/19359-hyper-v-virtual-switch-manager.html

If the issue still persists, please post back the result by running “ipconfig /all” in command prompt.  

Hope these could be helpful and keep post.

Kate Li

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:18 AM
  • I'm going to try some of these fixes in Windows 8 and let you know.  Since I do not yet have a working internet connection in Windows 8,  I have to keep rebooting to Win7. 

Whether the workaround works or not, the amount of frustration in these blogs tells me that Hyper-V just does not work in Windows 8.  Microsoft has already released a lot of Win 8.1 RTM code, and the rest is imminent.  If it goes to GA with this still broken, MS will "have a lot of 'splainin' to do"  THIS IS SERIOUS.  One more black eye could be the death of Windows 8, which would be a great pity.

Kate, you really should escalate this to someone who can verify the 8.1 RTM before it's too late. 

Get it together, Microsoft!

• Edited by SHCA Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Please remove all hyper-v virtual switch from hyper-v manager console, and try connect to Internet again. You also can delete the network adapt driver from Device Manager and restart the PC for a test.

If issue persists, collect ipconfig /all information for me.

Niki Han

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:10 AM