none
2 x Win XP + 1 x Win 7 64 bit+ 2 Win 7 32 bit PC's trying to share two older printers with Win XP drivers only

Question

• We have two older printers namely, a Canon BIJ-1300 & a Canon Smartbase MPCF600, with which we are perfectly happy with but unfortunately they only have XP or Vista drivers, no Win 7 drivers as far as I know.   

Our network is setup as  a workg roup network called OFFICE, running 5 PC's: 2 x Win XP  + 1 x Win 7 64 bit+ 2 Win 7 32 bit. Files shared and existing setup okay, apart from Win7 64 bit not able to print to printers. Sees them on the network but can't install.

We want to eliminate the slow XP PC's, so I installed Virtual PC - XP mode on one of the win7 32 bit PC's, in the hope of also running the printers on the virtual machine in XP mode. Older XP software runs great, but struggling to install hardware like the printers connected via USB ports as mentioned above. Can see XPmode virtual machine on the network but none of the files I asked and configured for sharing.

Need the space occupied by the XP PC's, but struggling to get the other 3 PC's setup to print on the older XP/Vista drivers only printers.

Any help or Win7 drivers for 2 printers cheat, more than welcome.

Friday, August 19, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to verify if you want to install printer on XP mode. Where did the printers connect? What issue occurred when trying to share printer to Windows 7 PC?  

I suggest installing printer driver in compatibility mode to check the result.

Method:

Right click install file -> Troubleshoot compatibility -> Try recommended settings -> Start the program -> next -> save the settings.

If you want to use XP mode to access the printer, please set the following configuration of XP mode.

1. Setting -> Networking -> choose your Broadcom Ethernet

2. Setting -> Integration Features -> enable Printer

3. Install the printer driver on XP mode.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:49 AM