none
Convert MS CARDFILE to useable Application for Windows 7 (64-bit)!

Question

• What is a good Application that one can recommend to use Microsoft CARDFILE 3.1 to convert to, and use in Windows 7 (64-bit)?  I have many cardfiles that I cannot use with Windows 7 now. 
    PLEASE HELP!

Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:12 PM

Answers

• A Google search turned up this: AZZ Cardfile

No idea if it's good or bad but you can give it a try. Otherwise I'd say you will need to export the cardfile database as some other format then import it into a program like Excel or some other cardfile like program. That means you need it running on a computer that still supports it.

Edit: I just noticed Windows Cardspace is part of Windows 7 (at least it's in Ultimate) so you should be able to use your old cardspace cards here. Have you tried it?

Rich
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:31 AM

All replies

• A Google search turned up this: AZZ Cardfile

No idea if it's good or bad but you can give it a try. Otherwise I'd say you will need to export the cardfile database as some other format then import it into a program like Excel or some other cardfile like program. That means you need it running on a computer that still supports it.

Edit: I just noticed Windows Cardspace is part of Windows 7 (at least it's in Ultimate) so you should be able to use your old cardspace cards here. Have you tried it?

Rich
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:31 AM
  • RICH: Thanks, but Cardspace is a different application than Cardfile.  JS
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:28 PM
  • I found the 32 bit version that came with NT today at:
    http://internetvail.com/files/
    It works on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Apparently the cardfile.hlp is no longer needed as I only downloaded the exe and it worked.  The .zip is the same thing just zipped up.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:03 AM
  • this is great!!!! i have a user who has been using the 16bit version from windows 95, and this works great!!
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Thank you so much CJ4331 - I too was delighted to find this as I adore cardfile, was furious that I could no longer use it on my new laptop and wondered how on earth I was going to access the over 600 address cards I have. It's the total solution and ought to be bundled in with 64 bit versions of Windows 7. However, there is another good solution, which I found just before this link. It displays cardfile files in a slightly different way, but is rather more elegant, and people might like to try it as well (it's free)

EviEdit

available from http://www.doeraene.be/programmes/eviedit.html

the software is French and so you'll get  Précédente instead of Previous and so on, but the associated symbols make everything clear. The website shows you how cardfile files will look in it - to my mind nicer than in the original programme.

Monday, March 28, 2011 12:39 AM
  • I would love to have the 32-bit version so that I may use it on my Win7 64 bit OS.

When I go to the link provided, I am asked for a user name and password.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

krys1202

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Same here, cannot access http://internetvail.com/files/

Please note AZZ Cardfile would not import cards with embedded pictures

Neither will EviEdit open those cards with pictures

So a 32 bit cardfile.exe is the only solution for people who love the simplicity of Cardfile

Wonder if any body could share a copy

Thank you  so much

Saturday, September 03, 2011 3:21 PM
  • I have tried to log on to http://internetvail.com/files/  but was denied access, perhaps a stupid question but how do you log onto this site? do I need to set up credentials etc? if so how is this done.

I am very interested in being able to run Cardfile on windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Thank you very much indeed, David w764, for your 'trouvaille': it works great, and has solved my card file problems in one elegant sweep. The EviEdit program deserves to be better known and more widely used. In any event, your tip was invaluable! Again many thanks.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:05 AM
  • I have this cardfile with so many addresses but it doesn't run anymore on my new computer - Windows 7 (64-bit). The same problem that you had once. did you find out how to make it work on your computer?
    Friday, May 04, 2012 12:36 PM
  • http://www.mediafire.com/?4ah27wr4x164hl4   link to cardfile that works on windows 7 64 bit version...
    • Proposed as answer by WattaBinG Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:07 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:07 PM
  • No disrespect intended, but I think the AZZ Cardfile suggested solution does not work well at all, not withstanding the fact that it is always included in every answer thread about being a possible solution.

FYI, Windows Cardfile and Windows Cardspace are not at all related.

I tried EviEdit and I can verify that it is an acceptable solution.  The interface is in French, so it took some time to learn, only after accidently deleting some cards, and inserting many blank ones.

Finally, the Windows 7 64 bit version suggested by WattaBibG works perfectly.  Thanks ever so much.

One caution:  None of the above suggested solutions provide an "Import" or "Export" option.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Thanks so much for this.  I downloaded the file and it works a treat.  I can open my old cardfile, no probs.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:44 AM
  • But if you use the version suggested by WattaBinG you don't need to "Import" your old cardfile, you just need to open it
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Thank you so much. The download popped right in and opened immediately! I am ever so grateful! I envisioned having to retype all those several hundred cards!
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Thanks a million WattaBinG. The link provided is still good, and cardfile 64 works almost perfectly. I did notice that Cardfile help says I don't have enough memory but that is not a problem.
    Tuesday, January 01, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Dear WattaBinG,

Many thanks for your find. It worked immediately. I've still been running 3.0 which worked through Vista but not on this new Windows 7 system at work. Graphics are wonky - fonts expanded but the data is useable. I'll look now for an upgrade from 3.0. Thanks again.

Friday, January 04, 2013 4:25 PM
  •  WattaBinG's link to download worked ,,,,finally can use my old 3.0 file,,,,many thanks!! 
    Monday, January 07, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Thank you very much indeed, David w764, for your 'trouvaille': it works great, and has solved my card file problems in one elegant sweep. The EviEdit program deserves to be better known and more widely used. In any event, your tip was invaluable! Again many thanks.

How did you open  http://internetvail.com/files/?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Just use Evernote, like most of us :)

-- pa

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:56 AM
  • WattaBinG----you are THE BOMB!

Seriously, this download is still available at MediaFire.  It worked great.

I have been stressing for months over this and going back and forth between my laptop which has XP (and my cardfile) and my desktop PC which runs Windows 7.  I have protected and nurtured my cardfile like it was a newborn child since 1995 through mergers and acquisitions, corporate buyouts and even a divorce!  For such a simplistic little piece of code, it is just amazing and I don't need the elegance and beauty of all the bells and whistles, just clean ad easy!

I have had multiple IT Managers just growl at me and say I needed to migrate all my cardfile info to Outlook.  But that was not acceptable, because the info on cardfile has no business in Outlook.  Now they will be pretty angry with me since I just went around with my thumb drive and updated every computer in the HR department.  

Monday, February 11, 2013 12:58 AM
  • hello ever one and what i have found was to links that have the cardfile in 64 bit so get it why its still here

http://www.geert.com/CardFile.htm

http://www.4shared.com/file/7BTUAQIv/cardfile.html

HEY Microsoft Don't make us have it! try asking us if we want it first befor pushing the progrma on to us all !

Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:05 AM

• HEY Microsoft Don't make us have it! try asking us if we want it first befor pushing the progrma on to us all !

Has anyone offered this advice to Apple? ...

-- pa

• Proposed as answer by gytjr Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by gytjr Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:43 PM
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:26 AM
  • internetvail.com seems to require login and password information - did you have the same issue?
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hello,

do you know if it is possible to change the font of the application you recommand ?

Is it possible to have more than 11 lines on each card ?  I have these cards with an old application and there are 16 lines per card.  With the new application they are truncate at 11 lines.

Gilles

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Thanks WattaBinG, it works like a charm and saved me from having to re-input data from 421 cards.
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:46 PM
  • This version is only needed if you are running the 64 Bit version of Windows 7.  It does not allow accessing the CardFile "Help" file. But it will read the Windows 95 card file.  If you update the card file it changes the file format to v3.0.  This may make the Windows 95 CardFile program unusable for the changed card file.  If you are running Window 7 32 Bit the Windows 95 CardFile will run normally if you set the "compatibility" to Windows 95.
    Monday, March 10, 2014 3:28 AM