none
Re: Windows winsxs increasing size without changes.

Question

• I read elseware on this form that other vista users see a similar problem as mines but no definate answers or fix was found. So I'll try posting this as I have extra information about it and some questions of my own.

Winsxs folder is getting huge ( 5 1/2 gig at the moment ). I did a clean install of windows and monitored the winsxs folder size. The size of the folder was fine for a while then almost trippled overnight, without any changes to the system or new installations. In other words, there was no real reason for the increase in size.

I would like to hear from other people who have seen this behavour and have a few questions about it myself.

Is this normal behavour? A bug or a bit of malware?

Is there any way to limit the size this folder gets to?

Anyone know were this extra data is coming from? System, internet etc...

Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:21 AM

All replies

• Extra information to add to this:- I'm talking with people on other forms who are seeing there winsxs folder getting huge. Some wern't aware of it untill they checked.  Some, there winsxs folder is staying to a respectable level. Some have saw the winsxs folder bigger than the volume of installed software. Have started trying to compare installed software lists to see if it's caused by something some people are installing. Doesn't appear to be normal as there is quite a few people who arn't seeing this. A quick google of the subject shows people elseware on line worried about this. I beleive there is a bug either with software used or vista itself. If everybody saw this behavour i'd say it was normal but it's not happening to every vista system. The change I saw in my system was most definetly not normal.

I hadn't mentiond in my origional post that I'm using vista 32 ultimate oem and all the people I'm talking to are vista 32 users.

Friday, June 01, 2007 4:32 PM
  • I would suggest to report the problem to MS Support service.
    Sunday, June 03, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Yes, I was curious as well.  Mine is 11GB!  I'm running the 64bit, but I have another that is running the 32 bit of Vista and that one is only at 5.5GB.  Still this is  huge in my opinion.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:38 PM
  • My WinSXS is still 3.83GB after a long time of use...As stated above, i only got Office 07 and Windows Live Messenger installed.

I search through the net and seem MS did not report the large size as a bug...If you really want to clarify it, I think you need to call the MS support services.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 5:44 PM
  •  

I was told by someone who works with these things all the time. That what the file is just used for is quick search and all the files in the folders are just caches. OK I understand that but mine has gotten to be over 8 gigs thats just bs. I wanna know how to stop this program from caching all my files.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Mine is currently 14,856Mbytes, running on x64 Ultimate.  I seem to be the largest collection so far.  This system is built to play games, so new software is constantly installed on it.

I've been tracking the size on and off.  It hasn't grown much in the last few weeks (a few hundred megs.)

Based on what I have in my folders i can summarize the the majority of the files are related to windows services, media center, and updates.

Which is interesting, as since I've switched automatic updates to never check and never download, my folder sizes havn't increased.

I'm going to take a random guess here and say that if anyone running ultimate downloads the extra content in addition to the patches, is going to experience a larger sxs folder then a non ultimate load.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem with my Vista "Ultimate"... WINSXS folder growed up to 14.5 G. But the SP2 should fixed the issue.

Note that you need 5G free space on you HD to be able to launch the installation wizard but at the end the folder have been trashed and I recovered the 14.5 G.

I hope this will help.

• Proposed as answer by DrMiyu Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:06 AM