none
WIndows 8 - memory leaks

Question

• Hi guys,

I've been using my Windows 8 Pro since release, and have had problems with memory leaks since day 1.

Accordingly to the task manager I'm using 97-98% of RAM but it is infact hardly never more than a few hundred MB of my 8 gigs of RAM.

Anyone that got a solution?

My setup is:

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 1.0)

AMD Phenom II X4 965

XFX Radeon HD 6970 (2 GB)

Corsair 8GB DDR3 2000MHz (2x4) XMS3

I would post my DxDiag, but I can't post links even though my profile is verified, and it's too long to post

• Edited by DaSunist Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:51 PM
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• what programs are you using, I have 8 on a partition and it is fine with 6 GB

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 11:47 PM
  • I don't suspect any specific programs, but it often comes after Windows needs to use a lot of RAM, like if I just rendered a movie or played a game. It then simply continues to use these 97% of RAM even though it should really just be a few hundred MB. It can happen without being applied any workforce though, so seems quite random sometimes.

From what I've been able to read around on other forums, this problem seems to only occour for people with AMD-graphics. Don't understand why graphic-cards have an influence on my RAM, but I guess there is some weird connection :)

Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Please download RAMMap [1][2] and run it when you have the high Memory usage. Now save the data as a RMP file. Zip the RMP file and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [3] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx
    [2] http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2010/08/13/introduction-to-the-new-sysinternals-tool-rammap.aspx
    [3] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Here it is:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C7AE69FEC986BFC9!480

Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:04 PM
  • that thing is rather large

downloading it now

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:15 PM
  • switch from FF to Chrome which is faster and you may be better off with memory consumption

Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:21 PM
  • It shouldn't be a problem and never was before I switched to Win8.

I mean, it takes up maximum 200 MB out of my 8 gb. It really shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Here's my DxDiag if it's needed: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C7AE69FEC986BFC9!480

• Edited by DaSunist Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:38 PM
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Here it is:

the non paged pool is too large.

This is a driver issue.

Use poomon to see the pooltag and use findstr to search for the driver which uses this pool tag:

Troubleshooting Pool Leaks Part 2 – Poolmon

• Marked as answer by DaSunist Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:06 PM
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Worked as a charm. Thanks a lot mate! :)
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Which pooltag/driver was the cause?

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:26 PM
  • It was my driver for the graphic card :)
    Monday, November 12, 2012 12:44 PM
  • try using the Catalyst 12.10 driver from AMD

seems to be stable for the most part

there is also 12.11 beta which has been out for a week, a few gamers are griping but not many

Monday, November 12, 2012 1:39 PM
  • The 12.10 and all other caused these leaks, the beta driver fixed it for me :)
    Monday, November 12, 2012 1:41 PM
  • others have been using 12.10 without a problem, so I wonder what else is at issue relative to your rig and software stack

check with gigabyte for a BIOS update while your are at it, the 990FX is relatively new and likely a few updates have been released

Monday, November 12, 2012 1:52 PM
  • try using the Catalyst 12.10 driver from AMD

seems to be stable for the most part

FYI, with Photoshop it's not.

Lots of people are anticipating the next release from AMD.  There are problems with the 12.11 beta as well, though not as numerous.

It sure seems like the release of Windows 8 took the AMD people by surprise, which is kind of unimpressive since Microsoft released so many preview versions.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, November 12, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Not many use photoshop like games, so I do not run across those kind of users often

Monday, November 12, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Understood, and thanks for your insights as well.  One interesting thing is that Catalyst 12.10 reports that it has varying amounts of VRAM on the video card (clearly there's a bug there).  At one point I caught it saying there was over 1 TB of VRAM on my 2 GB Radeon HD 7850.  :)  That played havoc with Photoshop's 3D rendering tools, which I guess expand to fill the space the driver reports is available.

-Noel

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:33 PM
  • try using GPU-Z which can report on GPU temps and usage etc

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:35 PM
  • I've since dropped back to Catalyst 12.8, on Windows 7 so it's no longer a problem for me.  But yes, I do use GPU-Z.  Nice little program!  The other of that genre I happen to like is HWMonitor by CPUID for monitoring temperatures.

Another thing Photoshop users are reporting with the out-of-box Windows 8 AMD/ATI drivers is flickering displays.  Strange stuff.

I tried the 12.11 b4 and b6 versions and found that they did something unexpected to colors displayed in Photoshop where the red channel was 0, resulting in the color going to black instead of a blue/green hue.  Gives you an appreciation for just how much in the display driver has to work perfectly for a system to be completely usable - and I'm not looking at games at all.

Funny thing, while we're on the subject of new display drivers...  Last year and the one prior it seemed that ATI was doing a bit better than nVidia at supporting old cards and releasing drivers that were bug-free (again, not from the perspective of games, but for professional use).  This year things seem to have flip-flopped, with nVidia seeming to be doing better.  Do you sense that as well?

-Noel

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:01 PM
  • I use a GTX 260 and driver have been all over the dial for stable

I read the AMD forum all the time for game issues as my gaming site is by far my most popular site

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:06 PM
  • It was my driver for the graphic card :)

ok, thanks.

And Vegan, please stop posting about things you don't understand. pool leak is a DRIVER issue.

@Noel, also run poolmon to find the causing driver.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Dear Andre,

Poolmon reveals the guilty one is named EtwB but I can't find which driver is using it via findstr.

Could you help me, please?

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 3:28 PM
  • This tag is used by the Kernel when you do xperf tracing. Are you sure, this is the right tag? Sort it with key B ad look if this is really the tag with the largest bytes.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:37 PM
  • For what it's worth, ATI Catalyst 13.2 beta 4 drivers have finally addressed some of the issues that were holding me back on Catalyst 12.8.  I've found them quite stable for a beta release.  No crashes, no glitches I can see.

-Noel

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:42 PM
  • the MINI tag leak was first fixes with the 12.11 Beta and is part of the 13.1 WHQL driver.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Perhaps.  Leaks were never my problems (I never noticed them anyway, since the more obvious problems kept me from using 12.11b or 13.1 for long).  It seemed to take AMD several months to notice all the problems being reported e.g., by Photoshop users, so I guess the pipeline inside AMD must have been kind of long late last year.

Gamer:  It's fast!!!

Serious user:  It's fast, I don't care!  It blows up in midair!!!

:-)

-Noel

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:00 PM