none
Windows update KB2847077 messes up Media Player settings

Question

• Windows update KB2847077
    causes Media Player 12.07601.17514 to lose track of all settings and libraries

Double clicking on a video media - opens a first time window that asks to use recommended or custom settings.

(this is catastrophic for me as I use Media Player's DLNA connectivity)

This has happened twice to me - first from a standard Windows Update (yesterday 12/11/2013) - I had to do a system restore to before the update, then figured out that it was KB2847077 - so updated everything else except for KB2847077 - my PC and media player were just fine after the restart.

Last night for some reason that update was installed again, from one of my vulnerability scans (despite me specifically hiding it in Windows Update) - so this morning my Media Player was messed up again - did another system restore before that module update, and everything is back to normal again.

Thanks

--
    Vincent

Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you have the issue described in the KB?

• You install Internet Explorer 10 on a Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)-based computer.
    • You configure the AutoPlay feature so that Windows automatically uses Windows Media Player to play audio CDs.
    • You insert an audio CD into the CD-ROM device, and then Windows Media Player starts.

If not, we can choose to hide the update.

Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update>Check for update>right the update and choose Hide Update.

If you want to see the update later, on the main Windows Update page, choose Restore Hidden update.

Otherwise we can refer to the following article to fix the issue caused by windows update.

How To Fix Problems Caused by Windows Updates

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/system-security/a/fix-problems-caused-by-windows-updates.htm

Please note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:46 AM