none
Windows 7 and Firewire problem

Question

• I just upgraded my Dell XPS 420 from Vista to 7.  Now my Firewire does not work.  I spent 4 hours on the phone with Support only to find out that there is no Windows 7 Firewire driver for my machine yet. I was told to wait a couple of months.  Does this souind right?  What can I do?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:29 PM

Answers

• Hi jvestal,

The 1394 bus driver that is included with Windows 7 replaces the 1394 bus drivers that were included with earlier versions of Windows. See this site for details

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/1394_Windows7.mspx

You can try the following steps to fix our issue, This solved my initial problems with a Maxtor III OneTouch drive. 

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane

3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."

4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.

6. Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver. 

I hope this can help you.

John Zhu 
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:18 AM

All replies

• No, that doesn't sound right at all.  My understanding is that most (if not all) 1394 controllers are supported with the drivers included with Windows 7.

Can you please look in device manager and see if it shows any errors for your 1394 controller?
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:32 PM
  • Hi jvestal,

The 1394 bus driver that is included with Windows 7 replaces the 1394 bus drivers that were included with earlier versions of Windows. See this site for details

You can try the following steps to fix our issue, This solved my initial problems with a Maxtor III OneTouch drive. 

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane

5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.

6. Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver. 

John Zhu 
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:18 AM
  • Yes, John Zhu THAT DID IT (sorry for screaming :) )

I had huge problems with all IEEE1394 Harddrives on Windows 7. There were thousands of events ID51
    "An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation" - installing the "old" driver made them disappear instantly. For 6. just one supplementary information: In my case it is called "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Old) instead of "Legacy"

Everything quiet now, my FW-drives run at never seen speed - thanks a lot!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:28 PM
  • I have the same problem, but I'm afraid to change the driver because of how it might affect my firewire audio
    interface. Would reverting to  the "legacy" firewire driver affect the performance of the chipset, or how my firewire audio device "sees" it? This is critical for my firewire audio interface.

Would turning off pageing on the firewire HD help?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:45 PM
  • I am glad to hear that my suggestions help moderator fix his issue. 

As PhoenixGTR’s new issue, I recommend you submit a new post in this forum, make sure to post as many details as possible about what's in your systems.  People with similar hardware or applications may have encountered the same issue.

John

John
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:16 AM
  • When I went to post a new thread, I was directed to this one, most likely because my issue was the same as maranga's. I guess the forum wants to avoid duplicate posts. Perhaps you are right, though, in that my question about the Texas Instruments chipset makes it different...
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Still working like a charm with the old driver. Absolutely no issues anymore. Not a single event entry concerning firewire.

@PhoenixGTR: Why don't you just try to change the driver? If it is not working properly, you just change it back :)
    Changing it does not really add something "old" to the system, but just reverts the "new capabilities" to the old behaivour.
    Talking about performance in my case: The new one delivered a very poor performance, which could be due the errors it had to handle. The new one is as fast as expected from a 1394 connection.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Try changing your firewire driver. There're 3 drivers bundled in windows 7, change the driver to the one except Legacy.

In addition, please submit a new post in this forum, and change your description with other manner. Thanks for your understanding.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    John

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Hi John,

Do you know if this new firewire driver was first introduced with Windows Vista?  I've been having problems with my firewire since last summer.  It was working last April, I had Windows Vista.   I'm thinking the driver got downloaded with one of the updates after April.  Since then I've upgraded to Windows 7 and I am still having the problems.  Basically device manager says all is ok, latest driver and functioning properly.  But when I open Movie Maker, it can not find the device.  I have a Rosewill 501 firewire card and a Sony DCR-TRV19 camcorder.  I've tried uninstalling the firewire card and re-installing, I tried the Vista enumeration registry hack, I've tried both 6pin/4pin and 4pin/4pin connectors, I've tried all sorts of combinations of plugging in the connectors and turning on the camcorder.  Nothing seems to work.  I will be forever gratefull if this works, but I'm just curious how it broke in the first place.

Friday, January 08, 2010 3:32 PM
  • i have only 2 listed, non works with HDV capture
    how can i get 3d one?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Hi jvestal,

John Zhu 
    John,
    Thank you very much for this dead-on answer. I have dozens of FireLite Firewire drives laying around and was going crazy because they worked for a while and then all of a sudden an Event 25 error showed up saying the firmware was out-of-date so Windows was stopping it! I thought if it's working, then leave it alone.

BTW the devmgmt.msc thing didn't seem to work on my computer, but regular Device Manger (in Control Panel under Hardware) works to do the same thing. The tough part about this is that the usual "update my driver" doesn't work, because it is trying to update the non-Legacy driver that is running by default, so you have to manually switch to the Legacy driver.

I know that this doesn't add a lot to your answer, but I wanted to get a couple of keywords in here so that people can find this answer since it took me forever to come across, namely the sbp2port Event 25 Error in Event Viewer, and the FireLite external firewire hard drive wording. 

Again, thanks so much for pitching in with the answer.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

I have an echo audiofire4 sound card. I downloaded the latest drivers which, according to echo are compatible with win7. However, the device doesn't work properly, but works fine on XP, so the device is OK. I have already tried switching to the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), but still it won't work.

Any ideas? Is there any 1394 driver update I could use to make things work?
    Friday, February 05, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Hi John,

I use my computer in a professional digital recording studio.  One piece of my hardware is FireWire (Alesis Multimix 8 to be exact) - A firewire studio mixer.

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 duo processor - 3.00 ghz
    Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) - FRESH INSTALL...NOT AN UPGRADE.
    Intel 160 gb Solid State Hard Drive
    Raptor 150 gb 10,000 rpm - used as virtual memory
    6GB DDR3 ram (1333 bus speed)

My computer feels very VERY fast, but I have a problem...

For some reason, when I turn my firewire mixer on, my computer blue screens and restarts.  If I don't turn my mixer OFF, my computer will continue to blue screen and restart.

The current driver I have is for Vista 64-bit, and XP 64-bit SP2 (they haven't released anything YET for Windows 7).  However, I don't believe it's a driver issue.  I think it's how my new OS handles firewire devices.

I read your other threads, and you seem like you know your stuff... 

any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 4:50 AM
  • John-

I have a similar problem.  I have a PCI 1394 Firewire card installed on a windows 7 machine.  I am trying to have two cameras simultaneously feed video into the computer.  I havd it set up on XP this way.  While I can get one camera to capture video.  i crash when I try to access the second.  I have both cameras show up in device manager and even both show up in the video editor I am using, however, when I try to switch cameras the software shuts down.  I have another piece of software that has the same rpoblem, so I am sure it is not he software.  Is this a limitation of the driver in windows 7.  It worked in XP
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Thank you sooo much!! A lifesaver you are trully!

Friday, February 26, 2010 2:04 AM
  • John,

I was having similar problems with a Focus Enhancements DR-HD100 DTE Video reorder and installing the Legacy Driver has fixed the issue. The search didn't work so I just went in through Device Manager.

Thanks so much for posting this solution. You saved me a ton of time.

Lonnie

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:26 AM
  • You are great! Thanks so much, since you save lot of time for me!!!

Bane

Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:17 PM
  • You are great! Thanks so much, since you save lot of time for me!!!

Bane

Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Hi cdor,

Did you find any solution. I am having similar problems with my DCR-TRV130E. The device doesnt even get listed in Movie Maker.

Please let me know if you find any solutions

coolcarnee

Friday, April 30, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Glad to report that using the legacy device worked for me.  Thanks John.
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Someone at Microsoft please explain to me why these new drivers are used by default when they simply do not work with so many existing firewire devices?
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Someone at Microsoft please explain to me why these new drivers are used by default when they simply do not work with so many existing firewire devices?

I completely agree.  I have had my HP win7 64 bit Core i7 Q720 @1.60 Ghz for 3 months now and I STILL CAN"T USE ANY OF THE IEEE 1394 devices for which I MISTAKINGLY thought moving to a faster machine and Windows 7 would provide me better performance and usability!!!  My Motu 828 Firewire and other firewire devices are completely unusable on the Win7 platform.

Completely FED UP here.  I am a computer professional and have tried ALL the TRICKS so please quit pawning off the (Legacy) driver stuff here...  I've even read the whitepaper and tweaked registry settings.  Short of downloading the driver sdk or syscon toolkit and having to build a driver myself (which I still think won't work) MSFT has completly FAILED in terms of supporting IEEE 1394 on Win7.

Please let me know if there's anything in the works here that we can expect or if I have to continue spending all my time trying to get what used to work on XP working on Win7.  The additional rub here is that I CAN"T EVEN RUN IN XP MODE since there's NO VIRTUAL IEEE 1394 driver support!!!

Out of Options in Peoria

Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Somewhat off-topic, but somewhat similar happened with TimeCapsules from Apple in a Windows 7 network. The integrated harddisks are not usable any more. It worked in a pre release of Win 7 but is broken in the final version. No solution available. I'm not into these kind of things, but IEEE1394 is somewhat Apple as well...

Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Devspo,

I have the exact same machine; I can't use my firewire devices either.  I have installed the legacy driver, and it doesn't work. I even installed a hotfix from MS.  Moving up to a seemingly faster computer has made my external hardware unusable.  

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:20 PM
  • I'm running Windows 7 64bit OEM, and I cannot get firewire ANYTHING to work. I switched it to the legacy drivers, and nothing. I switched it to the newer drivers, again nothing. I've never even seen the third driver option. Should I rip the firewire driver from my xp version? I know my device works because I have a second comp running XP 64bit and it shows up fine there (it's about the only thing compatible with XP 64). I need the firewire for video editing. Nothing else works regarding consumer grade cameras.
    Friday, June 04, 2010 8:49 PM
  • I also have a HP win7 64 bit Core i7 Q720 @1.60 Ghz and I can control the recorder from the laptop but not video or audio is captured. I also have a Toshiba older laptop which using the legacy driver now is working great. I think the problem is with the HP dv6 laptop, maybe with the bundle firewire port.  
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Oh my, thank you so much.

This explanation have helping me very much.

Now i can finally capture back from my digital JVC camcorder.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:12 PM
  • This workaround worked for me to copy files larger than 1.5GB to an external 1394a/b drive. However, I find it somewhat unacceptable that this step is necessary. It should have been fixed in Windows Update before now!
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Thanks you very much for this fix... works like a charm!
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:36 PM
  • Hi, This worked for my Lacie external HD's IEEE1394 interfaced to Windows 7 x64.  Prior to this fix it was taking 3'55" to transfer 72.8Mb file. After applying above fix it took 13".

Thanks to JZ et al.

Friday, July 30, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Is Microsoft donig anything to address this, or simply stating revert to legacy drivers?  It seems to be affecting a lot of machines, and the legacy driver trick doesn't work for everyone.  I just built a AMD quad core computer, running 6 gigs of ram, on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition, back in April.  I built this high speed machine to record music.  I bought my equipment in August, and started testing everything.  To my surprise, my firewire didn't work.  It shows up in device manager, but it doesn't show up in MyComputer when I open it. 

I've tried this:

I even installed a PCI card.  Still nothing.  Oh, and I did make sure to reboot after changing any of the driver settings.  Now, I had to take back all of the expensive equipment I bought to record music, because the external firewire sound card, is unable to get a connection.  As of today, I can't use my digital cam corder, or any other device that uses firewire.  When will there be a definite fix for this?  This is looking like the iPhone issue and it's antennae.  Ignore it, and maybe they'll go away.

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:54 PM
  • I'm beginning to get seriously pee'ed off here. everyone seems to be having the same problem, as am i, and no solution, and silence from microsoft.

I am an audio professional and had a laptop from mobile gigs running vista with an RME Fireface firewire audio interface.

the laptop broke but still under warranty, it was replaced, but of course windows 7(64bit) was out and had no choice due to laptops

all being bloody pre installed with OS.

My 1st issue...blue screen when connecting firewire audio interface.

thought i had it figured after connecting an external hard drive via firewire. i was only getting 1mb/s transfer!

Changed to legacy, problem solved! or so i thought. definitely much better. 

The external HDD was now running quite quickly.

Plug the Audio inferface back in and it seemed OK.

That was while it was only running the 1st 8 channels of audio.

Expanding to 16 channels, gives me glitching

and my full 28 channels....blue screen

i conclude i am not getting 400mb/s more like 37.5 on legacy and see FA on the pre installed driver.

are Microsoft stupid. they have rendered the 1394 bus useless.

going to try partition the laptop and install XP on it and see if that solves everything, because XP usually does. I'll get back to you's when i do.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 9:52 AM
  • I can't believe that after almost a year and MS still can not figure out a way to fix the slowness. I have wasted so many time on this slow speed since I bought the Firewire card. My fried's Mac or even Linux can handle Firewire smoothly.
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to advise.  I've tried the above suggestion many times over and just can't get a connection. I noticed that my DV Camera doesn't show up in Imaging Devices. Could that be the problem? I thought the camera drivers would load automatically.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Hi everybody I just downloaded the new firewire 1394 drivers for Texas Instrument(TI) chipset from the link http://www.unibrain.com/downloads/ and my speed boost up to 65MBP/s this is really helpful try this. It has solved my prob with slow speed on 1394b and 1394a

Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Hello John. 

This is very helpful but does not fully solve my problem.  On rolling back to the Legacy driver, my 1394 external disk finally comes alive, but for maybe 5 minutes before it goes down.  Definitely not long enough to do my backups.  Sigh. 

Hopefully Microsot will get this driver sorted out by 2012.  Until then, I've hung my backup off an older computer as network-attached storage.  It's slower but reliable.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I too have had this problem and none of the drivers worked. It is a new PC so it drove me mad - BUT I HAVE A SOLUTION!

I connected my Sony DV Camcorder using a 6/4 firewire cable in Win 7, Ubuntu and XP but to no avail. I had to switch on my old XP Pro system to get a connection, although this was erratic and took a while to recognise. Maybe my camera was getting old? But I did connect and managed to transfer a whole 60 minute tape to my PC and transfer the 11 GB file to my USB and then my new system.

This is not the solution I was talking about. I managed to find the original cable that came with my Sony camera , a 4/4 firewire cable with purple end connections on a grey wire. I plugged it in and voila - it worked straight away in Ubuntu, Win 7 and XP. It now runs perfect.

So either my 6 port does not work, or my 6/4 cable is not fully compatible. Try to use the original cable or one by the same makers of the camera or device you are attaching. After hours spent in frustration it now works every time in a super fast way.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I would love to try the solutions posted here, but I have a different problem. 1394 isn't even displayed in the Device manager AT ALL! I even tried adding legacy devices, but to no avail. I installed my pci firewire card but Win 7 64 won't see it. 

Thanks for any advice!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:10 PM
  • I would love to try the solutions posted here, but I have a different problem. 1394 isn't even displayed in the Device manager AT ALL! I even tried adding legacy devices, but to no avail. I installed my pci firewire card but Win 7 64 won't see it. 

Thanks for any advice!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Hi everybody I just downloaded the new firewire 1394 drivers for Texas Instrument(TI) chipset from the link http://www.unibrain.com/downloads/  and my speed boost up to 65MBP/s this is really helpful try this. It has solved my prob with slow speed on 1394b and 1394a

After seeing everyone's posts on here having the same problem as me, I was beginning to give up hope until I came accross this link.
    When trying to instal a new driver, I was only given 2 options of which neither would work.
    After downloading this driver I tried again and then was given a 3rd option when updating.
    I used the one from this link and hey presto ... It Worked.

Many Thanks Nainesh.

Friday, December 31, 2010 11:42 AM
  • The firewire 1394 drivers for Texas Instrument (TI) chipset from the link will help but does not resolve all issues.http://www.unibrain.com/downloads/

My personal issue is the use of two Western Digital MyBook External Hard Drives with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  One HD is 1tb and the other is 2tb and both are Firewire 800 (394b).  With Win XP Pro 32-bit I was able to run both of these external HD on Firewire 800 (1394b) daisy-chained together, and obtained transfer speeds of 60 - 100 mb/sec, depending if the transfer was data such as Word or Excel documents, or if it was photos which transferred in the lower area of 60-80 mb/sec.

With Windows 7 64-bit retail version right out of the box, on a new custom PC with all new components; Gigabyte P55A-U4 board with 14 onboard USB ports of which 2 are USB-3 and a Intel i7 2.8 ghz CPU, Raid 0 with 2 WD 450 gig Raptor HD at 10,000 rpm & 32 mb cache each, and 12 gigs of RAM, you would think that Windows 7 64-bit would scream.  However, I am only obtaining about 16 – 40 mb/sec transfer speeds, after installing the Unibrain Driver.  But, it appears, as of today, that the PC is recognizing these two external HD connected via Firewire 800 and daisy-chained together.  So will see what happens in future days.  I added a LaCie 500gb Rugged External HD 7200 RPM, USB3, to my system during my troubled times with Windows 7.  The LaCie USB3 drive transfers consistently; Word & Excel docs at 70-85 mb/sec and large photo files at 45-50 mb/sec.  Firewire 800 going to external HD running at 7200 rpm should do much better than what I am obtaining.

I will be contacting Western Digital again to let them know that I found this Unibrain driver and loaded it to my PC.  I will find out from WD if a Firmware Update is available and advisable for their External MyBook Hard Drives.

This issue is exclusively with Microsoft and their Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  The problem is not with Western Digital or Texas Instruments or any other mfg of 1394 PCI Cards.  There is too much information available on the internet to indicate the problem is MS and MS is not resolving the issue of Win 7 compatibility with Firewire.  Perhaps it is intentional that MS does not want Firewire to work properly with Windows 7 as Firewire is originally a product of Apple / Macintosh.

When you download the Unibrain IEEE-1394 Win 7 Driver you will get a driver for both Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit.  Your PC OS will take care of deciding which is appropriate for you.

I recommend that you SAVE the Unibrain download on you PC, where you can find it.  And, then do the Install from the Saved download.

What Unibrain will do is REMOVE all your IEEE 1394 Bus Controller device drivers (be prepared), and replace those with a new 1394 Bus Host Controller, which will probably appear at the top of your Device Manager list in Windows 7.

Recommend that you review your Device Manager first to see what 1394 Cards are installed in your PC before Installing the Unibrain Win 7 1394 Drivers.  Reboot after the installation of the Unibrain 1394 drivers and then look at you Device Manager again to see where the new 1394 Bus Host Controller is located in the Device Manager; just you will know for future.

I do not know how to go back if the Unibrain driver does not work.  Perhaps a System Restore Point will do the job.  Best of luck.

UPDATE ON 01/11/2010

Regarding my two Western Digital External Hard Drives.  I found on WD website on 01/10/2010 a Compatibility list of all their current and legacy Hard Drives which indicates which Operating System the Hard Drives will work with.  Unfortunately, for me one of my WD External HD, which is a WD MyBook Pro Edition II 1tb, Model #WD10000C033-001, which has connectivity for 1394a, 1394b and USB 2, is not compatible with Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) regardless of what driver is used.  Therefore, I cannot use this particular WD External HD with my Windows 7 OS.  Western Digital states on their website that they do not have a current driver or firmware for their older HDs.  I confirmed this issue with a live WD Tech Support person on 01/10/2010 and he offered no solution other than to purchase a new / current HD.  I personally do not consider this an old HD as it was purchased in 2006.  My other WD External HD is a MyBook Studio Edition II, 2 tb, Model # WD20000H2Q-00, purchased in 2009, has connectivity of 1394b, eSata and USB 2 is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7, but I am still having issues of the PC recognizing this unit in either 1394b or USB 2 connection, and when it is recognized I am only obtaining transfer speeds between 16 – 45 mb/sec, depending on the type of data transferred.  Photos of jpg, tif, psd, pdf are the slowest speeds.  Bottom line is that the Unibrain 1394 (a) (b) driver that Texas Instruments recommends will not solve all issues using Firewire components with Windows 7.

I do have one LaCie compact / portable USB 3 External Hard Drive connected via USB 3 Cable to USB 3 Port on the motherboard (not a PCI Card or Hub Connection) and it is working great.  USB 3 is reported to have transfer speeds up to 4.8Gb/sec.  Don’t believe everything you read.  It is faster than USB 2 but not the Ten Fold Faster being promoted.  A lot of this transfer speed is going to boil down to the efficiency of your computer and the resources of the computer.

Since there are so many negative issues with Firewire compatibility with Windows 7 (which is on all new PC desktop and laptop computers), I am going to make the change to USB 3 in the future.  Component manufacturers such as HP Printers, Epson Printers and Scanners, Plustek Film Scanners, Sony external DVD / CD units, etc. are no long providing Firewire connectivity on their products.  Western Digital still provides Firewire connection on some of their external hard drives but is offering sufficient USB 3 units for the time being.

• Proposed as answer by Gary in Fresno Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:44 PM
    Monday, January 03, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Hi Nainesh (squealer2122),

Unfortunately, I did not have as much luck with the Unibrain driver for my situation due to one of my WD External Hard Drives is not compatible with Windows 7.  Good luck to others.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:34 PM
  • I am having issues getting a USB/Firewire PCI-E card to work, the USB works but Windows 7 doesn't even recognise the firewire. Going to try some of these suggestions later.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Thank you worked at treat !!
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:40 PM
  • I have Tascam Fw-1082 and windows 7 ultimate and I can't hear sound from my mixer !!! I download driver from tascam (1.80).Problem is still there. I updated driver and all other but nothing...is there some provblem with fire wire driver ? please help .All best
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Thank you so much for this answer. I have been working for two days to get my Panasonic PV-GS300 camera to work with Sony Vegas Pro 10. I went to Best Buy and spent $40 on a new USB 2.0 PCI card (because apparently ASUS doesn't provide Windows 7 64-bit compatible drivers for its M4A78 Pro motherboard, and USB 2 hasn't been working), only to find that USB is a poor format for capturing digital video. I today installed Windows XP mode only to find that it apparently has NO Firewire support. I was just now contemplating installing a Windows XP dual-boot and only now sought this answer because I had failed to make a disk for my SATA drivers because for some reason my USB floppy drive wasn't recognizing disks. Wow. As you can see, I've put a lot of effort into getting my computer to capture from my DV camera. And now this simple driver fix made everything work perfectly. Thank you! -Charlie
    Friday, February 04, 2011 5:43 AM
  • John,

You are a master. I have been searching forum all over the net for days trying to get Adobe Premier CS5 to work with the fire wire on my Gigabyte mother board. You knowledge to change to legacy has been the best thing for my stress levels.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Simon

Monday, February 14, 2011 8:30 PM
  • The fix for me was the correct hardware driver used for the IEEE1394 port with windows 7.

In my HP laptop there is a Ricoh 5 in 1 card reader. Next to it is the 1394 port.

The 1394 port driver is bundled into the Ricoh 5 in one driver. I went to HP and typed in Ricoh 5 in 1 driver. I picked the one for my OS, win7.

I downloaded and installed.

During the install Windows 7 asked me three times if I was sure I wanted to load this driver as the best one is already loaded. LOL, I answered yes and finished the installation.

After a reboot my 3chip Panasonic camcorder was recognized and loaded as an entry in device manager under imaging devices.

The Microsoft supplied legacy and Ricoh drivers did not work but the one from HP did.

Find out who made your 1394 port hardware and contact them for the appropriate driver. Look on your computer manufacturer’s web site.

My HP laptop came with Vista64 and HP does not post drivers for Win7. After loading Win 7 the laptop worked much better but I spent a lot of time finding win 7 drivers for all the hardware.

Kevinspage.com

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:05 PM
  • There are many problems which interfere with the 1394 chipsets, especially in laptops.

First everyone says buy a Texas Instruments chipset to avoid troubles.  As you can see here, there are folks with this chipset which can't use it.

Secondly I have a Ricoh 1394 chipset, which also shares the SD and Expresscard architecture.

Thirdly i use a Yamaha N12 recording interface which streams up to 16 channels of 24bit/96khz audio to Cubase 5.1, or Ableton Live Studio 8.2 flawlessly. 

Now I can't say that it didn't give me alot of aggravation, but I can assure you using the 1394 legacy driver is the first step.  I've built AMD and Intel desktops for many Professional and Live studios both, and Windows 7x64 OSes using a variety of interfaces and Digital Audio Workstations.  There are always hours spent troubleshooting these systems no matter what chipset of firewire they use, mobo, or interface and DAW.

Secondary steps after the 1394 legacy drive change are as follows.

1) Enter your bios and disable speedstep technology on Intel, or "Cool n Quiet" on AMD cpus. These change the clockspeed and result in audio dropouts in real time.

2) Begin disabling as many things you aren't using in Device Manager.  So bluetooth, LAN, Wireless, especially ones tethered to the shared resources of a RICOH chipset to avoid bottlenecking.

3) Make sure you have exhausted samplerate/latency options in any sound interface control panel for the hardware you are using.  Sometimes there will only be one setting out of 320-2048 that will work flawlessly on recording and playback.

4) Be sure your main chipset wheter AMD or Intel has the latest .inf/drivers.  Alot of the time the entire PCI bus, USB, host controllers won't function properly with Windows7 x64 because they just can't see the paths to the hardware in your machine.

5) If you are intending to run a DAW on a machine which is your "GOTO" like you have Office, all updated drivers, lots of other software including iTunes, Quicktime, and other apple software (which in my opinion destroys a PC entirely), you will run into conflicts.

Recently I purchasted a Seagate Momentus XT500, which is a hybrid drive that has 8GB of flash memory which really turbocharges my performance.  I did a clean install of Win7x64, and to my surprise my output latency had dropped to less than half of what it was on my old drive.  I even have extra options in the samplerate settings of the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver.  I cannot explain why.  Before the lowest I could go was 320, now it gets down to 128.  So for anyone looking to decrease latency if they can see their devices, I would suggest this method.  I do have to carry a screwdriver and an extra 2.5" sata drive, but having such a speedy drive, dedicated to recording, without any extra software on it, including not updating Realtek HD audio, or anything else that the computer uses really seems to help out.

I hope this will help some of you out.

Peace

Simon Handley
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Thankyou sooooo much for this post, I was just about to throw my pc outta the window until I followed your instructions and it worked!!! xxxx

Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:27 AM
  • Well Simon im in the Audio world as well. Upgraded to a quad core 2.51 win7x64 comp.

Delta 1010ltx2, Pro-tools, Wavelab, and tons others.

HD-Lacie d2 quadra 1tb

Firewire card-no idea not listed brand.

So Was working fine on my old XP computer(LacieHD-external)but today started saying that the info couldn't travel fast enough(firewire connection error) and stop playing. So I tried to update, found the Legacy driver info, did that. And it got worse.

I've got nothing running on this machine besides Audio Programs. Checked only 6 processes running.

So how do get into that Bios(no idea what that is) and tweak that speedstep?

Need to finish these mixes for this band ASAP.

Thanx

MM

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:53 AM
  • John, you are a genius....Microsoft can kiss my azzzz!
    I was goin nuts! bought new firewire card, did everything imaginable and couldn't find any info. Somehow I found this forum. Found this fixit and it works like a charm. Why MS doesn't read these things is beyond me.

I will bookmark it so John, please stay on it. Thank you sooooooo much.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Hi, ive tried exactly what you said, but my IEEE 1394 Controller is showing up in "Other Devices" and not Human Interface Devices Tab? and on step 4 of your instructions, i dont get the check box saying "Show compatible hardware"

Thanks

Sunday, July 03, 2011 10:35 AM
  • John,

Thanks for posting this. It turns out that this problem also causes video capturing to fail on some systems. I had great trouble with video capture on my HP 3123 slimline using the built in 1394a card and Video Studio X4. Switching to the legacy driver seems to have fixed all my issues.

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:10 PM
  • My solution was the cable.

I have just installed Windows 7, 64 bit. And want to capture video from Sony DSR250 and Sony DVCAM recorder. It worked fine with Windows XP and Windows Vista. I have tried all four IEEE 1394 drivers in Windows 7, but Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 says "no device".

After reading the post from DarrenH_Brummie (nov 10 2010) I tried to connect a small Panasonic camera, and used a cable with one small (4 pin) and one big (6 pin) end connection, I GOT a connection and all 4 drivers worked I think!

So - Today I got a firewire adapter, that makes the small firewire end (4 pin) into a big one (6 pin) = I now have a cable with two big ends.
    It works!!!  Now I'm able to capture from the Sony DVCAM recorder, Yes!!!

Maby later someone will tell me how to get a "normal" firewire cable to work ....?

• Edited by nadjafo Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by nadjafo Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Solution: I had the exact same problem and it was pure luck that led me to the solution. I just got a PC with Windows 7 and realized that I could not capture footage into Premiere using my Canon XH-A1s on either a motherboard firewire port or a Firewire card port. I scoured the web and all I could get was this suggestion about turning the Firewire drivers to Legacy. But it didn't work. The reason is that it was only part of the problem.
    It turns out that this is a weird Windows 7 bug with powered Firewire and USB devices conntecting to ports (ie does not recognize H2 Zoom but would recognize USB thumbsticks) that is related to Apple software conflicting with powered devices that connect through those ports.
    I stumbled upon another Microsft solutions page that listed removing all the Apple software as a possible solution. I was at my limit trying to guess what the solution was so I just figured I'd try it no matter how ridiculous it sounded. I went to "Control Panel" > "Programs and Features" and I sorted the programs by Publisher column. I proceeded to remove EVERYTHING by Apple, Inc. except QuickTime. There was some Apple Mobile Support software. There was iTunes support. I removed all of that non-sense. I rebooted and I was partway there, because I could actually see the Firewire hard drive listed as a device finally with an err rather than not being recognized at all.
    Now that I saw the error, I had to go and change my "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" back to "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller". I also had the option to select "VUA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" but this was not fruitful for me. I had to update the drivers for the Disk Drive in Device Manager using the automatic driver update. I rebooted and everything is fine now. I can actually connect my H2 Zoom via the USB and it is finally recognized.
    So if the Legacy driver alone worked for you, it may have been because you did not have any Apple software installed. Hopefully this helps some poor soul out there!
    Answer brought to you by: The Show, www.TheShow1045.com
    Friday, November 25, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Thanks John Zhu, that worked for me too on Win 7 x64. Lifesaver!
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Thankyou John Zhu,

I recently upgraded to Win7 64bit and found  I had a problem capturing video via Fireware with my Panasonic MiniDV Camcorder NV-DS99.

Changing the driver to Legacy fixed the problem.

You have saved me many hours...

Adam.

Monday, December 12, 2011 1:44 AM
  • I have tried all of the above...nothing worked. Sony Video Capture kept saying that another app must be using the camera. HDVsplit kept crashing. So I downgraded my Windows 7 x64 SP1...to Windows XP SP2 x64. HDVsplit hasn't crashed since.

I'm "amazed" by the number of people having these problems...and Microsoft doing nada :-(

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:52 PM
  • I know nothing about video editing - but i was going crazy for weeks like you guys with my old JVC GR-DVL820ea. I have windows 7 and build my own systems, so i had a old pci expansion card that i plugged in (sunix 400) for firewire, it wouldn't work with any driver arrangement in device manager; windows or unibrain. I discovered my new motherboard (asus p9p67-m) had a via onboard chipset for 1394 so i hooked onto that from a connection at the front of my pc case and plugged in there instead. Still nothing, so i switched off the unibrain drivers and activated the windows drivers and immediatley the system replaced the via drivers in device manager and detected my camera. I suggest if u have an addon card for 1394 that you swap out for another one that is proven to work. one thing is for certain you dont need any jvc driver for minidv recording, its all hadled by the 1394 and the capture program u are using, i am using power director 10. well thats my story... gl and try not to rage to hard :|

edit: the while time i was playing around i left my camera on, plugged in and set to play - but not actually playing. cheers

• Edited by cptplop Monday, April 02, 2012 10:07 AM
    Monday, April 02, 2012 10:05 AM
  • John-

I have a similar problem.  I have a PCI 1394 Firewire card installed on a windows 7 machine.  I am trying to have two cameras simultaneously feed video into the computer.  I havd it set up on XP this way.  While I can get one camera to capture video.  i crash when I try to access the second.  I have both cameras show up in device manager and even both show up in the video editor I am using, however, when I try to switch cameras the software shuts down.  I have another piece of software that has the same rpoblem, so I am sure it is not he software.  Is this a limitation of the driver in windows 7.  It worked in XP

Hello ! I have the same problem, Im trying to capture video live stream by using of 2 DV camcoders of the same brand simultaneously. They both indentyfy themself as  microsoft Dv cameras but when I'm trying to stream online video from one camera another camera doesent work at all. I have 2 fireware PCI cards installed in my desktop PC. Is there any solution ? How can I make them work together at once ? Windows consider them as one video device :(

I could solve this problem with buying any video capture card for my second camcoder but quality of streaming will be worse and i dont want it.

Looking forward for answer !

Thank you

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hello ! I have problem. I'm trying to capture video live stream by using of 2 DV camcoders of the same brand simultaneously. They both indentyfy themself as  microsoft Dv cameras but when I'm trying to stream online video from one camera another camera doesent work at all. I have 2 fireware PCI cards installed in my desktop PC. Is there any solution ? How can I make them work together at once ? It seems to me that Windows 7 consider them as one video device :(

I could solve this problem with buying any video capture card for my second camcoder but quality of streaming will be worse and i dont want it.

I'm looking forward for an answer !

Thank you

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:52 AM
  • I've been trying to get my FW to work for weeks.  This is the FIRST thing that actually worked!

Thank you, Nainesh Somaiya, for letting us know of this fix, and thanks, squealer2112 for reposting it (as I skipped over it the first time, as I didn't have any TI devices.)

Not only did this work, but it worked WELL!

Microsoft: Please call these people and invest some money in allowing the drivers to be autoinstalled for people!  I find it infuriating that you are selling a product for hundreds of dollars, and giving a nonfunctional driver with it!  The previous Windows OSes, 98SE, ME, XP all were capable of FW out of the box... why did you go redesign the wheel, and make it square?
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Hi,

I have an old Maxtor OneTouch II 200GB USB and 1394 (Firewire) drive that has one of these buttons on the front. Unfortunately, the Maxtor 1394 Storage Front Panel driver cannot be found by Windows 7 and I think I might have had a similar problem with Windows Vista, although I think I managed to solve the problem with Windows Vista. To date, I am unable to solve this problem with Windows 7. Not sure if it is because I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried installing the driver that came with the device but this was unsuccessful. Windows Update does not find a driver.

The drive itself works fine but it would be great to be able to install the front panel driver.

Unfortunately, Seagate bought Maxtor and they don't seem to be providing very good support for this device.

I have tried the Windows 7 Compatibility Web Site, but this did not help.

Has anybody managed to install this device on Windows 7? If so, could you please advise me how to install the driver for the front panel?

Regards,

Johan

Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:41 PM
  • I have a brand new Dell XPS 8500 with Win7 Pro.  I have been pulling my hair out(ill afford that) trying to get a new PCIE 1394 card to work with Adobe Premiere.  I was about to email the PCIE card supplier that I wanted a refund for their rubbish hardware when I saw your post.  I tried it and bang immediately the video camera came to life and is downloading quite happily.

Thanks John very much.  Not much has changed after 2 1/2 years!!!

Best regards

Peter

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Thank you so much, this help me a lot. I had that problems months ago I could not fix until I got your explanation. you saved my life.
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Using your suggestion with the complete system freezes I recently began to have on every Windows 7 computer and an unpowered Firewire 800 Sanndisk drive, I chose to just stop the following Apple related services rather than uninstalling their software:

Apple Mobile Devices
    Bonjour Service
    iPod Service

Doing that (in addition using the Legacy driver) seems to have solved my problems.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Thank you !!!! After wrestling with installing a Kodak Gel Logic 200 Imaging system on a new Windows 7 computer (with Firewire camera connection), and being told by Kodak that it would NEVER work, and we would have to buy a new $6000 system with a USB connection, the above procedure enabled me to capture that camera!! Well done!
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 6:28 PM
  • I was having this same issue with 1394 drives.  For whatever reason, and I am not suggesting it is a usable workaround for everyone, disabling indexing on the drive resolved the issue for me.  There must be something with how the OS is trying to index the contents of the drive that were causing the system to hang when working with files on it.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Hi, I've just bought a new desktop pc. It is an Advent with 16 Gb Ram, Intel Core (TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz, 3 Tb hdd  running Windows 7 64 bit OS.

I previously had a Del Dimension 5150 with Pentium 4 CPU with 4Gb Ram, 250 Gb hdd and second 200 Gb hdd for video files running Windows XP 32 bit OS. I do video editing using Pinnacle (Avid) Studio Ultimate 15. In my old PC I had a 1394 video capture card which worked fine. I tried to install it in my new machine but it will not fit. The edge connectors are very close to but will not engage in the socket on the motherboard. Does anyone know if this card in incompatible with my new machine? Do I need to get a different one and if so any hints? 

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Same solution worked for me...  I was on a dell m1530 and my SD card slot would only work as read only under windows 7, which is on the 1394 bus.  Disabling the apple services and using the legacy driver allowed writing to the SD card again. 
    Monday, December 31, 2012 2:56 AM
  • You just saved my bacon, thanks so much, that worked for me.
    Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Try the following Step  for windows 7 and sony DV camcorder

Important step to follow in order for you IEEE 1394 to work
    1) connect IEEE 1394 cable to computer/laptop and turn on your Sony device ( remember set your device to AV output mode)
    2) Turn on your computer/laptop and the computer should/will automatically detect the device and install the "Sony DV IEEE 1394..." to you computer  instead of install the default  windows IEEE 1394 device

Nows you application should detect the Sony device.

Monday, July 08, 2013 11:50 AM
  • I too have an echo card (audiofire2) and have not been able to get this to work!

Shapi

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Hi everyone. Please allow me to chip in. I have been using an M-Audio Profire 610 with my Dell Studio XPS 8500 (Win 7 SP1 x64, 7i, 16GB RAM) without any problems until recently when I started experiencing audio dropouts and out of memory errors after a move. Is it the altitude? the weather? I tried the legacy drivers, installed/reinstalled the hardware, etc. with no improvement. I ran sfc scans until I was blue in the face and kept getting error messages about the tcpmon.ini file. Finally, I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7. What a hassle! After researching this issue on the M-audio support page I found the following info which may be of help to anyone having firewire problems in Windows. According to this info firewire was developed by Apple and Texas Instruments back in the day. With Windows 7, Microsoft decided to change their firewire specification which now conflicts with just about everything apparently. I am waiting for the M-audio recommended PCI card and will let you know if that fixes my particular problem. In the meantime, read this:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=f5abf4bd59b5420f9adbbb6709080d77

Hope this helps.

Monday, September 02, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Thanks it's help me :)
    Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:08 AM