none
i need help trying to change How to convert a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows 7

Question

• whenever i try to download a file over 4gb it wont let me it say "error file exceeds filesystem size limit" can somebody please help me i wanna convert a fat32 volume to ntfs but i dont know how ... anybody can be me some tips i'll appreciate it thanks 
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:34 PM

Answers

• The easiest way to convert FAT32 to ntfs is to use the command line.  The syntax is easy to find in start/help and then enter "convert to ntfs" in the search field.  In the list of options that search brings up, select the one that says "Convert a hard disk or partitions to NTFS format".  This will display the steps to do the conversion, similar to (this one is on a Windows 7 machine):

• Close any open programs running on the partition or logical drive to be converted.
    • Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • At the command prompt, type this:  convert:  <drive_letter>: /fs:ntfs, where <drive_letter>  is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press Enter. For example, convert E:  /fs:ntfs would convert drive E to the NTFS file system format. 
    • Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press Enter. You must use the existing name of the volume or the conversion will be canceled. You can view all available volumes and thier volume names in the Computer folder under Hard Disk Drives. 

If you have any issues or are unsure how to initiate this process, please call us, we would be happy to help with the conversion of your Windows hard disk's file system to the NTFS file system.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hello. You can use the convert command from an elevated command prompt like:

convert d: /fs:ntfs

You can also get a list of the convert options by typing at the command prompt: 

convert /?

Here is a link with a little more info and tells you how to convert your c:\

http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

I would take a backup of your important data first.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:49 PM
  • The easiest way to convert FAT32 to ntfs is to use the command line.  The syntax is easy to find in start/help and then enter "convert to ntfs" in the search field.  In the list of options that search brings up, select the one that says "Convert a hard disk or partitions to NTFS format".  This will display the steps to do the conversion, similar to (this one is on a Windows 7 machine):

• Close any open programs running on the partition or logical drive to be converted.
    • Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • At the command prompt, type this:  convert:  <drive_letter>: /fs:ntfs, where <drive_letter>  is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press Enter. For example, convert E:  /fs:ntfs would convert drive E to the NTFS file system format. 
    • Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press Enter. You must use the existing name of the volume or the conversion will be canceled. You can view all available volumes and thier volume names in the Computer folder under Hard Disk Drives. 

If you have any issues or are unsure how to initiate this process, please call us, we would be happy to help with the conversion of your Windows hard disk's file system to the NTFS file system.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Try to use command line, this is the easiest way for you to convert the file system. Click Start first, then choose accessories. You will see Command Prompt there. Double click to launch it. In the popped-out window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs. For example, if you would like to convert D drive to NTFS, then you need to enter convert D: /fs:ntfs. There would be no risk in this process. It's also very easy and quick.

However, if you need to convert a certain drive it in reverse way, you cannot just use command line to do that, you need to reformat that drive first. Because of the restriction, a third party utility suddenly becomes very helpful, like aomei PA. It allows you to convert the NTFS to FAT32 like you did in command prompt. No data loss involved.

You may learn more at the links below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-vista/convert-a-hard-disk-or-partition-to-ntfs-format

http://www.disk-partition.com/information/decent-windows-7-disk-partition-utility.html?spu=wc06

• Edited by wooying Friday, June 21, 2013 9:10 AM Some sentence needs to be corrected
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:18 AM