none
Very low (quiet) sound *SOLVED*

Question

Mobo: MSI P43 Neo-F

Summary:

Yesterday I installed Win7 without the speakers plugged in. When I went to play a game, I plugged in the speakers and noticed I had no sound. I tried everything I could think of and am stumped. I turn all the volumes all the way up and the sound is barley audible.

Today I decided to reformat and reinstall Windows 7. Still no sound. There IS sound. It is just very hard to hear. Right now, I am not touching anything because I don't want to mess anything up even more. I left everything as it is default for now.

I am not a computer expert, but I think this is a problem with your (windows's) drivers or something.
    • Edited by TheEgg Friday, August 21, 2009 1:34 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• Ok. It appears I am a dope. It turns out it were the speakers that were bad. I really did not think that they would be the problem. I didn't use them in a while. I've been using headphones. The speakers worked fine when I stopped using them. This is a new computer I just put together. The headphones weren't working out of the front port either (I didn't try them in the back). They were working when I had XP for a few days. So that just provided more evidence that Windows 7 was the problem. I'm still not sure why the front port wasn't working, but I disconnected a black cable that said AC'97 and connected the one that said HD audio and now it works. Whatever. Thanks for the tips.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, August 21, 2009 6:07 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:41 AM

All replies

Mobo: MSI P43 Neo-F

Summary:

Yesterday I installed Win7 without the speakers plugged in. When I went to play a game, I plugged in the speakers and noticed I had no sound. I tried everything I could think of and am stumped. I turn all the volumes all the way up and the sound is barley audible.

Today I decided to reformat and reinstall Windows 7. Still no sound. There IS sound. It is just very hard to hear. Right now, I am not touching anything because I don't want to mess anything up even more. I left everything as it is default for now.

I am not a computer expert, but I think this is a problem with your (windows's) drivers or something.

Doubt it has anything to do wih windows, if most work i doubt why it wouldn't work for you.  Did you try swapping to another speaker and did you ensure you plug the speaker onto the right ports? Try going to ctrl panel>sound and double click on speaker and under level tab, speaker level is set to max
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Check your device manager for problems.  Have you installed sound drivers?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Ok. It appears I am a dope. It turns out it were the speakers that were bad. I really did not think that they would be the problem. I didn't use them in a while. I've been using headphones. The speakers worked fine when I stopped using them. This is a new computer I just put together. The headphones weren't working out of the front port either (I didn't try them in the back). They were working when I had XP for a few days. So that just provided more evidence that Windows 7 was the problem. I'm still not sure why the front port wasn't working, but I disconnected a black cable that said AC'97 and connected the one that said HD audio and now it works. Whatever. Thanks for the tips.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, August 21, 2009 6:07 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:41 AM