none
Screen Resolution in XP mode for Windows 7

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to run a software program in XP mode but my screen resolution in XP mode is 766 and the software program requires 768 pixels in hieght. I've read that XP mode takes two pixels for the floating tool bar. Aside from unpinning, which doesn't give back the two pixels, is there anyway to get these pixels back? The max screen resolution in windows 7 is 1366 X 768.

Thanks in Advance!

Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Bakes_d, I'd like to inform you that it’s a limitation in Windows 7 virtual PC (Windows XP mode). This happens because the screen resolution is limited to 16 bits. However there is a workaround to get it to 32 bit. All you need to do is to disable Integration features from the Virtual PC.

1.    Open Virtual PC in windowed mode.

2.    Click on Tools.

3.    Disable Integration feature.

Now you can switch the color to 32 bits. Note: You might lose the direct access to the "Host Local drives" while in this mode unless you reset the networking parameters.

Now you can change the screen resolution of virtual PC to match with the native screen resolution. You need to follow the common method of changing the screen resolution in Windows XP to get the same resolution as in Windows 7. Visit the link below that talk about how to change the screen resolution in Windows XP.

Change your monitor resolution

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/resolution.mspx

In order to re-enable "Integration", just either re-start the virtual machine or use the tools again in "Windowed mode" and enable integration features.

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:54 AM