none
Error when playing a song in Windows Media Player 12

Question

• Every time I play a song in Windows Media Player, after about ten seconds it gives me this error: "An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again." I've tried playing from both my sound card and my on-board audio, as well as from my speakers and my headphones, and it still happens no matter what. It only happens the first time I attempt to play the song; if I press play again after I get that error, the song plays fine. This also only happens with audio files (doesn't matter if it is MP3 or WAV); I never get the error when playing videos.

I never had this problem when using the Windows 7 Beta; it only started happening when I installed the Release Candidate. Any idea how to solve this problem?

• Edited by Starwolf43 Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:37 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• I have this same issue; however, mine does not fix when pressing the play button again as mentioned above.  I have to close Media Player entirely and re-open the file again.  Sometimes it happens 2-3x in a row before I can get the file to play completely through without the error.

Would appreciate any suggestions to fix this.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Actually, I have more info about this.  I get the initial error, then I click okay and if I click Play in WMP again I get another error message that says "WMP cannot perform the requested action at this time."  Then if I click Play again after that, sometimes the file will start back up playing, but other times I get a crash with the error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Then when I restart WMP after this error, after a long wait it says it has shut down any optional plug-ins that might have caused this error.  After seeing that error message, I noticed that my Windows Live Messenger Music Plugin was not working.  This could have something to do with this error.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:25 AM
  • I'm getting the "An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again." message also, though for me it is 15 seconds and 40 seconds.

Thought my mp3 were corrupt but they play fine on other media software such as Cyberlinks Player (Power DVD) etc.,

If I try to play the same mp3 again it says "Windows media player cannot perform this action". If I then close WMP12 I can play the mp3 again until the 40 seconds are up.

Monday, June 01, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I'm facing exactly the same problem in Compaq Presario CQ40. Maybe this is the problem in Windows Media Player itself.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Ive done some 5 re-installs of windows 7 because of various odd behaviours. Fortunately those have been fixed but the WMP issue still remains for me. Ive re-built the libraries, edited the registry but to no avail.

I have now tried RC7400 and it seems to have been fixed!!!

However the 70item limit in the All Programs List has not been fixed so get 71 items in there and the list is deleted. (Slightly off topic but hey)

EDIT: No its not fixed. PITA!! MS
    CPU QX9650 OC'd @ 3.86Ghz on air : MEM Crucial Ballistix 4GB @ 900Mhz : MB Asus Striker 2 Formula : GFX Zotac 8800GT 1MB AMp Edition x 2 in SLi : XBLADE Case : PSU OCZ 1000Watt : PVR Wintv PVR-350. Quad Boot - Win XP SP3, Win Vista SP2, Red Hat, Win7 Ultimate RC 7100.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:48 PM
  • also me , I've the same issue, “An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again.”

but it didn't appear before I Install K-Lite Mega Codec 5.05
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:10 AM
  • I have the same problem and it's making my computer basically unusable. It was working fine until I installed the latest round of Windows Updates... shame on me for updating.

It doesn't only happen in just WMP, either. It also happens in iTunes and the most frustrating of all: During every single game I play. My sound will just cut out and never come back.

It is REALLY ____ me off and I ____ hate that there are SO many people having this problem and Microsoft hasn't done ____ about it.

Any fix would be appreciated.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:09 PM
  • its the same with me i get An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again. not just frew WMP but frew Spotify
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:42 PM