none
Unable to install Windows 8; Error code: 0xc0000017.

Question

• wen i try to install widows 8 pro 64bit from my cd

its com a msg < your pc needs to be repaired
    there isnt enough memory availble to create a ramdisk device
    error code:0xc0000017

i have the foto
    http://im42.gulfup.com/JwpB2.jpg

I have tried to use the boot cd with a virtual machine and it works fine. I have also tried to install it on a desktop pc and it works as well. I tried to borrow my friends windows 8 installer so I can trace the problem. Now I see the problem with the boot.wim within the windows 8 installer. can u help me  my pc is an hp ultrabook i have the orginal cd.

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the error message, it seems the computer don't have enough memory to install Windows 8.

I notice you have the original CD from HP, generally Windows 8 is pre-installed from HP and there is a easy way to restore OS to the factory configuration. If you suspect the boot.wim corrupting, please contact HP to replace the CD.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:14 AM

All replies

• how much RAM do you have installed? Is this a laptop, tablet or a desktop PC?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:46 AM
  • Hi,

According to the error message, it seems the computer don't have enough memory to install Windows 8.

I notice you have the original CD from HP, generally Windows 8 is pre-installed from HP and there is a easy way to restore OS to the factory configuration. If you suspect the boot.wim corrupting, please contact HP to replace the CD.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:14 AM
  • I'm also having this problem, trying to install windows 8.1 pro from windows 8 pro with an ssd and separate drive.  8 gigs of ram so I don't think I should have this problem.
    • Edited by kabomber Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:04 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:03 PM
  • how much free space do you have on the SSD?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:13 PM
  • I have this problem too, Lenovo Thinkpad X220 (4287-2SG,I5-2520M,8GB RAM, mSATA SSD RENICE X3 120GB ,ST320L)

WIndows 8 system is on mSata SSD 57,4GB is free on SSD.

Laptop probably freezed during upgrade to 8.1 (from MS store today) after asking if I want to store photos on Skydrive, screen was clear I waited one hour and manually switched laptop off.

Jiri Cvrk

• Edited by JiriCvrk Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:41 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:40 PM
  • I have 19GB free on the SSD
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:35 PM