none
How do I start a system driver? (wdmaud.sys)

Question

• According to msinfo32, I have c:\windows\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys but started=no and state=stopped.  I would like to start it - I don't hear any sound on my computer even though my audio drivers and hdaudbus.sys are enabled and working properly.  I figure wdmaud.sys plays a role in this.

So I'm trying to figure out how to have the OS start his system driver on startup but I can't figure it out.  Thanks for your help.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:00 PM

All replies

• Oh, and I don't see wdmaud.sys in my non-plug and play drivers in the Device Manager, so I can't access it through there.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:01 PM
  • look here and use the systems driver verifier exactly the way stated  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/244617

• Proposed as answer by securityguy14 Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:39 PM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 12:07 AM
  • OK I found the way to make it start (editing the Start regKey to 3), however it starts-then-stops during bootup because there are no associated drivers that need to use that service.

Anyway....I'm trying to figure out how in the world I can't hear any sound at all.  It's got to be a sound driver problem but everything I've tried just doesn't work.

I am having difficulty finding the older chipsets like you recommended.  My chipset is Intel G33 Express Chipset.  I've looked on Intel and Dell and couldn't find them, although I got so frustrated I quit after about 10 minutes.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:14 PM
  • You must be talking about where I recommended the legacy driver in another post. unless youve just recently updated your driver, I dont think that thats the answer for yours. If the driver was working good and its just a matter that it doesnt now, you should stay with the driver thats there, the one that was working good. one thing with the BIOS drivers, is that you can still install on top of one thats there, even if its the same driver. If the driver verifier didnt help, try to do an overlay install of the driver. thats where you install on top of the one thats there. you say that you checked with dell and intel, but your going to have to go to the BIOS manufacturers site to find the driver. you need to get the EXACT information of BIOS manufacturer, model number, and chipset. if you dont have that information, or dont know how to find it,, go here    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php   download and all you have to do with this is run, it doesnt intall. when you run it, under the "mainboard" tab, you need to write down the manufacturer, model, and chipset. look up the website for the BIOS manufacturer, and use the other information the find and download the driver. then you can do the overlay. let me know how everything goes with that. and if it solves the problem, please repost and mark this as answered

• Proposed as answer by securityguy14 Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:11 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:39 PM