Windows 8 not compatible with HP Printer Software Installation

Question

• I have been trying to install my HP Office Jet Pro 8600 software and I am getting an error because it is not supported on the Windows 8 Platform. When will there be an update to the Windows 8 to make it compatible with other Software installations? 
    Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:12 PM

Answers

• The update won't be before Windows 8 is released. 

As for the error - you are seeing it not because it's really incompatible with Windows 8; but because there must be some .ini file or the Setup is designed that way that it checks for the Windows version and only allows installation if it's Windows 7.

Try using Compatibility mode (right-click the setup file > Compatibility tab > Run program in compatibility mode).

The printer should work fine with the Windows 7 driver - as per Windows 8 Consumer Preview Compatibility Center.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• The update won't be before Windows 8 is released. 

As for the error - you are seeing it not because it's really incompatible with Windows 8; but because there must be some .ini file or the Setup is designed that way that it checks for the Windows version and only allows installation if it's Windows 7.

Try using Compatibility mode (right-click the setup file > Compatibility tab > Run program in compatibility mode).

The printer should work fine with the Windows 7 driver - as per Windows 8 Consumer Preview Compatibility Center.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:49 PM
  • This is a HP driver issue instead of a Windows 8 issue, you need to contact HP to get a compatible Jet Pro 8600 software for your printer.
    Monday, May 07, 2012 5:10 AM
  • In addition, take a look at Troubleshoot Compatibility Issues in Windows 8 Consumer Preview and also post your issue in HP forum . Windows 8 is still in beta and on-going development and compatibility issues are still in progress of improving.
    Monday, May 07, 2012 4:16 PM