none
Outlook 2007 multiple instances

Question

• Outlook when minimized goes to notification area as an icon. If I click on it from there to bring it back up all is fine. However if I use my outlook icon from startmenu or if I use the pinned icon it starts another instance of outlook with the same profile. I can not start two diferant profiles at the same time (my work and private one) but I can have 20 instances of for example private one. They do not create extra outlook.exe loaded to memory but existing one is growing to huge and unstable sizes.
    Only way to close them all is to kill outlook process or right click on system tray icon select open outlook a drop down mene appears, select one instance to go full screen and switch it off, then select another and repeat and another until you are left with one.
    As a note it does not have to be the same folder opened I can have my inbox, calendar, contacts, tasks, some folders other than inbox (like spam) open as new instances. Depends what was the last folder before minimized.
    Any one else had it?

Friday, May 15, 2009 11:00 AM

All replies

• I have exactly the same. Very weird.

I will come back here to see if something pops up on this.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I have a similar issue.  The first time I start Outlook, it appears to get my Hotmail and start on one account, but the status shows some odd percentage and under details, it shows it stuck on the first account.  I can't tell if it is getting to all the accounts or not.  If I cancel the send/receive, it stops the process, but if I try to restart the send/receive, nothing happens.  Also, when I close Outlook, the icon and application close, but there is still a process stuck and won't die.  I have to kill it to re-open Outlook.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:26 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue. Did you find any resolution?
    Still googling....
    Shibu
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Has this problem been abandon or solved?  I have been cooping with it for several months thinking that someone will break down and offer a solution.  Where are all of the MS MVPs when you want one?
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Outlook has always worked this way. For example Outlook 2003 which I am running.

I assumed it is a feature not a bug!

• Proposed as answer by fanfarenj Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:43 PM
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 8:37 PM
  • I am running W7-32 bit and having the same issue.  My problem is I try to open Outlook but when I hit the icon nothing happens.  I have to start "task manager"  and find the copies of Outlook  W7 thinks it's running, cancell them, and then I go back to the icon and a new copy of Outlook opens.  The only other option is to do a restart.  During the shut down it shows me that I have two copies of Outlook running.  Don't know why this hasn't been fixed when I read from your entries that this is not a new issue.
    Saturday, December 04, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I'm running into the problem also.  Don't suppose Microsoft will bother to look at Outlook 2007 with Office 2010 out ... all the more reason why I won't bother to buy Office 2010 ... see how that logic works Microsoft?

Anyway, like other's have stated ... my problems will start when I hit Send (Two accounts, one my MSN account and one my work email).  Outlook will go into "Not Responding" mode and if I try to shut it down, I get the "Restart/Recover Outlook" option.  At this point open TaskManager and I see two 32bit versions of Outlook.exe running ... I have to End Process on both of them.  Once that's done Outlook 2007 will work for a while until something once again triggers the problem.

Just curious, is anyone running Diskeeper 2010 or has anyone used a Registry Cleaner tool (including Microsoft's own registry cleaner tool)?

As with all things Microslop, it seems the only solution is their standard solution, wipe everything and re-install the OS from scratch ... yeah, like I have 2 weeks of bring my development PC back online so I can "maybe" get Outlook 2007 to work. 

I have a better solution Microslop, how about you actually do some proper error trapping and meaningful error logging vs. the sporadic junk you may or may not put in the event log for which we have to search.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
    Friday, January 07, 2011 12:06 AM