none
Vista: Cannot associate file with program, Default Programs problem

Question

•  

I desperately searched for this but only found others having the same problem:

I wrote my own program in C# (this means it is not an installed program, maybe this is important), TSViewer.exe

I want to open ts files with Viewer.exe

This should be trivial but there is a bug, here is it what happens (others reported the same effect):

1. Windows Explorer -> On bugsbunny.ts I say Open

2. The "Open With" Dialog pops up. It has a section "Recommended Programs" which for some obscurity is Adobe Acrobat (seems like this is recommended because its the first Program in alphapetical order) and a section with "Other Programs"

3. Since TSViewer.exe is not in the list I click the "Browse" button and select TSViewer.exe.

4. Back in the "Open With" pane Viewer.exe should now be in the list of "Other Programs" but it is not !!!! Nothing has been added at all.

Thank you for help

~thomas

platform:

vista64

UAC activated or deactivated does not make a difference

Thursday, July 03, 2008 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I had the same problem.

I used the free OpenWithAdd utility to add my program to the list. You'll find it here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm

"Download OpenWithAdd.zip and run it. Locate the application that you want to add to the Open With dialog.

Type the command-line parameter (if the application requires one) in the appropriate text field. And optionally, you can give a personalized name for the application which you're trying to add to Open With. This text will appear in the Open With dialog, describing the application. Once done, click Register. Your application is now added to the list."

Best regards,

- Tristan

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I had the same problem.

I used the free OpenWithAdd utility to add my program to the list. You'll find it here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm

"Download OpenWithAdd.zip and run it. Locate the application that you want to add to the Open With dialog.

Type the command-line parameter (if the application requires one) in the appropriate text field. And optionally, you can give a personalized name for the application which you're trying to add to Open With. This text will appear in the Open With dialog, describing the application. Once done, click Register. Your application is now added to the list."

Best regards,

- Tristan

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Thank you Tristan!

Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:19 AM
  • Hi,

Check the registry for associations for this file type, pointing to non-existing locations or applications (including removed or renamed directories with old versions of the same application). Clear them and try to associate again by "Open with"->"Browse".

Best regards,

Veliko

Monday, January 12, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Not to necro but vpvelikov is a life saver. How stupid is it that changing the directory of a program invalidates its registered directory until manually edited? When browsing for a program to associate a file with it should update the registry. Assuming that the .exe is in the previously registered directory is asinine and I can spare the nano seconds it will take to compare directories vs the hours it took to figure out why the ____ Windows 7 couldn't find my program after I told it where it is. I can't believe this was an issue in Vista and still wasn't changed in 7. I'm a PC and and Windows 7 sure as ____ wasn't my idea.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:38 PM
  • In truth, you may not want to mess with registries if you have no idea what your doing, it will have its effects on your comp, just saying.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:40 AM
  • * I fixed the exact same problem by discovering a small and very discreet drop down arrow on the right side of the option screen.  Clicking this arrow revealed the various programs to choose from.

• Edited by twebster321 Friday, February 10, 2012 3:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by twebster321 Friday, February 10, 2012 3:04 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Thanks so much for this! Worked like a charm.

BTW I checked my registry entry which had the correct path for the program I wanted, so that's not the issue in my case.

Wonder why Microsoft is ignoring this bug. Seems it's been around a long time.

Thanks again,

Chris

BTW I'm running Win 7 64bit and it's up to date....
    • Edited by Xrxfixr Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:07 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:06 AM