none
0x80070017 Failed Vista Install

Question

• Ok, so here's what happening:  I have a Sony Vaio laptop whose hard drive has failed.   The computer has a removable CD-ROM, which I think is causing part of my problem.  When I boot to the Vista install disk, I remove the primary partition and re-create, re-format, and install.  However, on the update step, the system fails and gives me an error code of 0x80070017.  If it does go past the update step, the boot manager does not install.  I have tried everthing to get this done.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Danny

The issue that the error code 0x80070017 or a File Copy error appear during the Windows Vista installation can usually be caused by the following factors:

1.   Defective, damaged or invalid installation media.

2.   Software, such as antivirus or other filter drivers, interfering with file i/o to the media.

To resolve these issues, use these recommendations:

1.   Verify that the installation media is legitimate hologram media. If it is an OEM Windows Vista disk, please contact OEM for detailed directions about how to install Windows Vista.

2.  Format the drive and install Windows Vista.

4.   Replace possible defective DVD media.

5.   Copy the installation files from the Windows Vista disk to the local hard drive and install Windows Vista using the installation files on the local hard drive.

7.   Upgrade the firmware on ROM drive or use another DVDROM.

8.   Check disk (use chkdsk) to find and fix possible disk errors.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:27 AM
  •  

I got a solution for this problem, it worked fine:

Had the problem with a completly new system. On 22% in Vista Setup i got the Fault 0x80070017 and then i tried this:

- Install XP

- Created a second Primary Partition (Primary seems to be important)

- Insert Vista DVD

- Run Setup and Install it on the new Partition. U would asked if u want to run the Setup with Updates, for a correct install it seems not to be important. U could avoid Genuine Advantage Control.

- after the first reboot the Setup continues from DOS

And Vista is installed correctly. After that u could erase the XP Partition or enjoy with a second operating system.

I think the problem is that the Setup can't copy the files completly on the hard drive.

much luck everyone

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:26 AM

All replies

• Are you getting a blue screen and does it mention ACPI? I have a Sony VAIO which I have that problem upon install. Apparently it is to do with the power management settings. I have checked my BIOS and can see no way of changing this.

The funny thing is the VAIO came with Home Premium running on it so you would think that it would be ok with the Ultimate edition.

If this is your problem, unfortunately I cannot help. I have as yet had no reply from Microsoft or SONY, though I have found many posts reporting the problem

J
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:04 PM
  • hi,

this error is a harddisk error in update. you can check the harddisk, use chkdsk in WinRE.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Hi Danny

The issue that the error code 0x80070017 or a File Copy error appear during the Windows Vista installation can usually be caused by the following factors:

1.   Defective, damaged or invalid installation media.

2.   Software, such as antivirus or other filter drivers, interfering with file i/o to the media.

To resolve these issues, use these recommendations:

1.   Verify that the installation media is legitimate hologram media. If it is an OEM Windows Vista disk, please contact OEM for detailed directions about how to install Windows Vista.

2.  Format the drive and install Windows Vista.

4.   Replace possible defective DVD media.

5.   Copy the installation files from the Windows Vista disk to the local hard drive and install Windows Vista using the installation files on the local hard drive.

7.   Upgrade the firmware on ROM drive or use another DVDROM.

8.   Check disk (use chkdsk) to find and fix possible disk errors.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:27 AM
  •  

I got a solution for this problem, it worked fine:

Had the problem with a completly new system. On 22% in Vista Setup i got the Fault 0x80070017 and then i tried this:

- Install XP

- Created a second Primary Partition (Primary seems to be important)

- Insert Vista DVD

- Run Setup and Install it on the new Partition. U would asked if u want to run the Setup with Updates, for a correct install it seems not to be important. U could avoid Genuine Advantage Control.

- after the first reboot the Setup continues from DOS

And Vista is installed correctly. After that u could erase the XP Partition or enjoy with a second operating system.

I think the problem is that the Setup can't copy the files completly on the hard drive.

much luck everyone

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:26 AM