none
Win7 winsxs folders question

General discussion

• my os win7 64 bits

in windows\winsys folder, I'm doing some searching over this

*microsoft.vc80.atl*

I found many folders wich such pattern, ex: x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.91_none_dc9917e997f80c63

I assume the number at the suffix part is the versioning.

question:

is Microsoft.VC80.ATL "8.0.50727.6229" considered part of valid component/stuffs on Win7 64 bits?

if it is, I can't find this thing is Winsxs. I tried the sfc command , which report me no integration issue, something missing? or sfc has nothing to do with this?

if it is not, then whatever application system rely on this specific ver of the ATL, is not properly written/tested for Win7 64 bits OS, right?

• Changed type Kelmen Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:45 AM irrelevant question
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:01 AM

All replies

• Its a Visual C++ Active Template Library  More info here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235624%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:09 AM
  • thx for the feedback.

the link show that is a dll is expected in Winsxs folder, but no details about the version.

my issue is one of the installer (MS Sql Server Express 2012) having problem to load a specific ver of that dll, and failed to startup setup.

so I wonder is it my pc issue, or it's installer issue.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Since the error message showed microsoft.vc80.atl, which is related to Visual C++. Please check whether you have installed Microsoft Visual C++  Runtime Redistributable Package.

Also, you can try the following to check whether it could help:

1. Run the System Update Readiness tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Clear the log.

a. Open an Administrator command prompt: Right-click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator" and click "Allow" for the elevation prompt

b. In the command prompt, type the command below:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

c. This assumes that C: is the drive in which system is installed. If it is installed on another drive like D:, please change the drive letter appropriately.

d. Reboot the system.

e. Install the software and check.

3. Repair .net framework and check.

Repair the Microsoft .NET Framework installation

To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

b. In the Currently installed programs list, click Microsoft .NET Framework, and then click Change/Remove.

c. Click Repair, and then click Next.

In addition, you can post in SQL Server forum for more help.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:20 AM
  • 1. Run the System Update Readiness tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

- run windows update, nothing to install

Clear the log.

a. Open an Administrator command prompt: Right-click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator" and click "Allow" for the elevation prompt

b. In the command prompt, type the command below:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

- Done.

d. Reboot the system.

- done.

e. Install the software and check.

- done.

3. Repair .net framework and check.

- done. .NET Framework 4.5

- try again the sql server 2012 express setup, same error.

since this is sql server 2012 express setup issue, I will continue look for resolution there.

thx for the feedback.

• Edited by Kelmen Monday, December 10, 2012 10:46 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that you will find the SQL Server team for help, for your reference,

Here is their forum support link:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/threads/

Hope the issue will be resolved soon!

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:38 AM