none
Missing Icons On Taskbar

Question

• Hi All,

I know this question has been posted a few times but I am unable to come up with a solution that works. We have a bunch of tablet computers with local profiles. We noticed that when users come back from the weekend, they are seeing that the shortcuts on the taskbar are not working. ( Pinned taskbar items) This includes network library icons and also Icons for Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. I have tried rebuilding the icon library but to no avail. I would be most appreciative if someone to suggest a whole sale solution as we are dealing with a fair number of machines. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:21 PM

Answers

• I found a much better solution: The bug happens whenever there is corruption in icon cache database for whatever reason. In order to fix the icons we need to refresh / rebuild the icon cache database. To do this:
    1. Ensure that hidden files and folders are shown by:
      1. In Windows Explorer, click Organize -> Folder and search options
      2. In the resulting Folder Options dialog, go to the View tab
      3. In the Advanced Settings, check the Show hidden files, folders, or drives option
      4. Click OK
    2. Recreate the icon cache database by:
      1. In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local
      2. Delete the file named IconCache.db
      3. Right click in the directory and click New -> Text Document
      4. Name the file IconCache.db
      5. Right click on the new IconCache.db file and click Properties
      6. In the resulting IconCache.db Properties dialog check the Read-only property
      7. Click OK
      8. Restart Windows
      9. Uncheck the Read-only property
      10. For good measure restart Windows again
    This did the trick for me.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for the suggestion. When I recreated the icons, they seem to stick. Is there a way of recreating them wholesale? I have over a 100 clients to deploy it to? Would you recommend that I create a batch file that copies them to that specific folder?

thanks again.

You can visit the following blogs to pin items to taskbar via Script.

Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script

Dale

Friday, April 16, 2010 2:40 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to un-pin the items from taskbar and re-pin them?

Generally, the pinned taskbar items are stored at the following location:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned

Please locate this folder and launch the applications by double clicking the icons, if the application can't be initialized, recreate the icons in this folder.

Moreover, lets' try to restore Start Menu to the default and see if the issue persists:

1.Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button  , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Taskbar and Start Menu.
    2.Click the Start Menu tab, and then click Customize.
    3.In the Customize Start Menu dialog box, click Use Default Settings, click OK, and then click OK again

Sometimes it can be caused by corrupte user profile also, please create a new user account and see if the issue persists. If not, you need to manuallyfix the corrupte user profile.

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for the suggestion. When I recreated the icons, they seem to stick. Is there a way of recreating them wholesale? I have over a 100 clients to deploy it to? Would you recommend that I create a batch file that copies them to that specific folder?

thanks again.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:50 PM
  • I am also having an issue with missing icons on my taskbar. I uninstalled the application that the icons were for but have since reinstalled it. When I view the application in the start menu the icons are there. When I create a shortcut to them on the desktop the icons work there too. However if I either pin the application to the taskbar or drag the shortcut to the taskbar then the icon will not show on the taskbar but will appear correctly everywhere else. I tried changing the taskbar icons to use small icons and then the icons worked but as soon as I uncheck small icons then they break again. I have tried the suggested solution but that didn't work. Additionally%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned does not contain the same shortcuts that I have on my taskbar.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I found a much better solution: The bug happens whenever there is corruption in icon cache database for whatever reason. In order to fix the icons we need to refresh / rebuild the icon cache database. To do this:
    1. Ensure that hidden files and folders are shown by:
      1. In Windows Explorer, click Organize -> Folder and search options
      2. In the resulting Folder Options dialog, go to the View tab
      3. In the Advanced Settings, check the Show hidden files, folders, or drives option
      4. Click OK
    2. Recreate the icon cache database by:
      1. In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local
      2. Delete the file named IconCache.db
      3. Right click in the directory and click New -> Text Document
      4. Name the file IconCache.db
      5. Right click on the new IconCache.db file and click Properties
      6. In the resulting IconCache.db Properties dialog check the Read-only property
      7. Click OK
      8. Restart Windows
      9. Uncheck the Read-only property
      10. For good measure restart Windows again
    This did the trick for me.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Hi Dale,

thanks again.

You can visit the following blogs to pin items to taskbar via Script.

Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script

Dale

Friday, April 16, 2010 2:40 AM