none
Windows 7 x64 shows 8GB ram (3.12GB useable)

Question

• I did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 RTM. It shows 8GB of ram in my system which is correct. However it shows that only 3.12GB is useable in System Properties. this is also what task manager shows.

How is this possible? Is this a BIOS setting issue?

Originally I did an install and all was OK. But I did flash my BIOS and then re-instralled.

Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks,
    Jay
    • Edited by Agent123 Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:05 PM

Answers

• Could be that the new BIOS changed something. But how to check that when nobody knows what the difference between the new and the old BIOS is? You could try it yourself and undo the BIOS update: If that works, fine. You should also look at "msconfig" -> "Boot" -> "Advanced options" and ensure that the "maximum memory" box is unchecked. If nothing helps, there remains the possibility that you have 32-bit devices that cannot access large (64-bit) adresses and block some of your RAM, therefore.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    • Marked as answer by Agent123 Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

It was a BIOS Setting. There is a Memory Remap feature that is required for 64bit OS. This was disabled. I enabled this feature and Windows 7 uses all 8GB now. Just took finding the feature amongst all the other BIOS settings.

Thanks,
    Jay
    • Marked as answer by Agent123 Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• Could be that the new BIOS changed something. But how to check that when nobody knows what the difference between the new and the old BIOS is? You could try it yourself and undo the BIOS update: If that works, fine. You should also look at "msconfig" -> "Boot" -> "Advanced options" and ensure that the "maximum memory" box is unchecked. If nothing helps, there remains the possibility that you have 32-bit devices that cannot access large (64-bit) adresses and block some of your RAM, therefore.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    • Marked as answer by Agent123 Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

It was a BIOS Setting. There is a Memory Remap feature that is required for 64bit OS. This was disabled. I enabled this feature and Windows 7 uses all 8GB now. Just took finding the feature amongst all the other BIOS settings.

Thanks,
    Jay
    • Marked as answer by Agent123 Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:55 PM
  • I have the same problem with my windows 7 32 bit...8GB Ram installed only 3.50 GB usable..OS is win7 32 bgit. My MB is Gigabyte X58A-UD7..There is no remap memory in the Bios...or it is just crated after intalling 64 bit ...where can I find it..can anyone help..thx for alllllllllllllllll in advance
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Please understand that yours is quite another question. "3.5 GB usable" is absolutely normal on a 32-bit system which can't address more than 4 GB. Memory remapping or just having a CPU with DEP enabled (Data Execution Prevention, provided by most x64 CPU's) could help a bit. But to use all of your 8 GB installed RAM, you need a 64-bit OS. Whether you'll need that much RAM for anything, depends from your preferences. If you do videoprocessing tasks, have large CAD programs or large databases (where much memory for temporary storage is required), 8 GB RAM are a good start. For all "everyday" tasks, from word processing to games, you'll never find a decent use for this amount of RAM. Perhaps in the future, not at the moment.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:48 PM