none
Powernow support for older AMD athlon xp-m processors

Question

• Installed Windows 7 on an older Acer aspire 1353LC with the AMD Athlon xp-m 2400+ (runs at 1796 MHz maximum speed) Everything runs smooth except for the processor's speed which is blocked at 796 MHz. After a lot of research I found out that the problem is caused by the amdppm.sys file which supports the cool and quiet function of the AMD processors, but apparently not for the older ones.
    I installed the amdk7.sys file from windows xp  (replaced the amdppm.sys file) and after restart the processor was running at maximum speed = 1796 MHz, but as soon as he went in sleep mode or changed to battery power and back to main power , than the processor stays at 796 MHz. Only after a restart the maximum speed was back.
    Contacted AMD and Acer support, but both told me to get in contact with microsoft for this problem. Will there be an updated amdppm.sys file in the near future or is there another solution ? By the way I found on the internet that I'am not alone with this bug.There are some workarounds, but not 100% reliable. (As the one I tried out).
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Go to “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options” and switch to “High Performance” to see how it works.

2.    Update your system BIOS.

3.    Update your chipset (motherboard) driver.

Considering this is a hardware problem, it is still recommended that you contact AMD and Acer support for help.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:21 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately both Acer and AMD did not tell you the truth.  Both Acer and AMD are solely responsible for supplying any and all system and component software/drivers.

I cannot find your specific model on either the U.S. or the U.K Acer websites, but the 1350 is not Windows 7 compatible.  Acer only has Windows XP software and drivers on theri download site.  AMD website is down for maintenance at the moment.  The amdppm.sys driver is for CPUs based on the Phenom products.  You are probably correct with the amdk7.sys driver, but you will need one that is for Windows 7.

Basically you have outdated hardware that Acer is not providing Windows 7 support for and you will have to search the internet for drivers compatible with Win 7, if there are any.  You may not find all the necessary drivers and utility software to get Win 7 to run properly on your system.

Microsoft does not write ANY drivers and utility software for ANY third party hardware - that is the responsibility of the manufacturer and/or the vendor.  Microsoft only writes the operating system and provide the information necessary for the manufacturer and/or the vendor to write drivers and software utilities to interface with Windows.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

you can use RMClock ( http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml ) to control your clock rate.

André
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Go to http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.1&product=2.1.1&contentType=Tech+Download+Processor&ostype=&keywords=&items=20 and you will note that AMD has not issued any drivers for you CPU that are compatible with Windows 7.

Your issue is with AMD and/or Acer, not Microsoft.  Microsoft does not write any of the Windows drivers for third party hardware.  The only drivers Windows publishes in their Windows Update Catalog are those drivers supplied to Microsoft by the Manufacturer or the Vendor!
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:19 AM
  • Thanks for your answers. It is a pitty that this little problem is the only one to use Windows 7 for a 100 %. Will have a second try at the AMD support team, if not than maybe I'll try the solution proposed by Andre.Ziegler
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:21 PM
  • I need more specific machine details, I have a ton of driver disks in my archive and I might have something helpful.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:05 PM
  • I need more specific machine details, I have a ton of driver disks in my archive and I might have something helpful.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried

Acer Aspire 1353 LC (Laptop)
    15'' TFT display
    1 GB DDR
    XP-M 2400+
    160 GB HDD
    DVD/CD writer
    Modem ,10/100 mbit network VIA Rhine II
    4 X usb
    Realtek audio chip
    Via/S3 graphics KM400

Will also try the newer amdk7.sys file (version 6.0.6000.13386 ) coming from Windows Vista .
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Use RMClock! You are wasting your time.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Go to “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options” and switch to “High Performance” to see how it works.

2.    Update your system BIOS.

3.    Update your chipset (motherboard) driver.

Considering this is a hardware problem, it is still recommended that you contact AMD and Acer support for help.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:21 AM