none
No PDF Thumbnails in Windows 7 64-bit

Question

• With a new clean install of Windows 7 64-bit and installing Adobe Reader 9, I'm just getting the adobe icons instead of a thumbnail of each PDF file. All other thumbnails for other file types seem OK.

I've tried installing another reader - PDF-XChange Viewer. This does create PDF thumbnails in windows explorer but you can only see them when you first open a folder. On a second visit to the same folder the PDF thumbnails turn completely black.

This is happening on both of my computers. Any ideas?

Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:36 PM

Answers

• George, I had the same problem and my solution was to un-install Adobe Reader and then painstakingly ensure that there was no record of Adobe Reader on disk and within the registry. Once I was damn sure there was no evidence left, I re-installed Reader and voila!

I wish good luck to you and am happy that the thumbnails for your other types are being displayed properly. Some of us aren't so lucky :))
    Monday, September 07, 2009 10:51 AM

All replies

• George, I had the same problem and my solution was to un-install Adobe Reader and then painstakingly ensure that there was no record of Adobe Reader on disk and within the registry. Once I was damn sure there was no evidence left, I re-installed Reader and voila!

I wish good luck to you and am happy that the thumbnails for your other types are being displayed properly. Some of us aren't so lucky :))
    Monday, September 07, 2009 10:51 AM
  • That particular fix isn't actually possible for me; I also have the CS4 Master Collection and uninstalling/reinstalling it is a real problem at this point.  Is there any other work-around?
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:22 PM
  • guys,

I also have a problem where PDFs won't show up as a thumbnail in Windows 7 64-bit. I've tried the uninstall/reinstall rude, but I have no idea how to go about clearing out the registry. Anyway,it didn't work.

Any suggestions please. This is not just annoying, it makes it difficult to work because the preview window was just a pain to use compared to eyeballing the entire directory.

Cheers,

ErrorCode62

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:53 AM
  • I'm not sure if this has been resolved on Adobe's end or with the OP but I think this is the real reason: http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/391384-no-pdf-thumbnail-x64.html

It basically says that the reason it doesn't work is because Adobe .pdf reader is a 32bit app so if you use a 64bit OS to navigate to the file in explorer (64bit), you will only see the .pdf icon and not the file coversheet. I can confirm this because I have an older desktop PC with Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and the thumbnails work fine. I also have a IBM T60 with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and it doesn't work (it also shows the logo with a padlock next to it on one particular file). So in a nutshell, it's Adobe's fault.

If you need to really see the thumbnails you can use the 32bit version of explorer and navigate to the file that way and it should work fine, if you could do so anymore. :(  You could use the 32bit explorer in one of the beta releases of Windows 7 but in the RC and of course in the RTM, it is forever gone (a comeback maybe in SP1?). If you try to terminate the 64bit explorer and force run the 32bit explorer it will respawn the 64bit explorer in it's place. Funny thing is that on Adobe's site version 9.3.3 is the most current one and it claims that it's Win7 64bit compatible. Not without the file thumbnails it's not IMO.

HTH

DOS_equis

• Proposed as answer by danielgr Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:26 AM
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 9:27 PM
  • guys,

I can point you in the direction of both an explanation, and a fix. Leo Davidson has created a tool to rectify the problem. He has also spent a fair bit of time trying to get Adobe to fix the issue. Have a look at http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html. I hope this isn't too late to fix the problem

Cheers,

ErrorCode62

Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:17 AM
  • As far as I know the problem with black thumbnails was fixed in PDF-XChange Shell Extensions (installed together with the PDF-XChange Viewer) had been fixed long time ago.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:57 PM
  • guys,

I can point you in the direction of both an explanation, and a fix. Leo Davidson has created a tool to rectify the problem. He has also spent a fair bit of time trying to get Adobe to fix the issue. Have a look at http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html. I hope this isn't too late to fix the problem

Cheers,

ErrorCode62

I have tried that one, along with uninstalling/reinstalling Acrobat 9.  The result is that Windows Explorer generates proper thumbnails seemingly at random, and they can change not only between instances of the same Explorer window, but even as I work.  And I really don't want to install PDF-XChange Viewer, for any other purpose it will be an unnecessary program taking up space, RAM, and clock cycles.  But, if this is an Adobe problem, I guess there's no point to asking them to fix it...
    Monday, June 18, 2012 12:48 AM
  • thanks dude... its amazing .. and solved my problem to get thumbnails for adobe reader64 bit.. You know form so many days i m working on this... to solve this..

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:50 AM
  • normally I don't comment but this was a saver!
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:46 PM
  • guys,

Cheers,

ErrorCode62

Thanks a lot ErrorCode62..... :)
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Wow!That worked instantly. I was on the verge of a rip and reinstall of Acrobat Pro X.

Dang, why do we have to do this.  :)

Many, many Thanks!!

Gene

Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:21 AM
  • This worked immediately for me.  Thank you so much.  Now if only I can find a PNG thumbnail fixer.    :mad:
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:54 AM