none
Can't install language pack on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1: 0x80070643

Question

• Tried and failed to install the Japanese language MUI. Windows Update gives me error 0x80070643. 

Following this, I downloaded the LP from another source and tried to install it offline. Installation failed again, and lpkg.log shows the same error.

I understand that this is a generic Windows Installer error.

As per the instructions on this thread, I isolated the errors in the relevant part of CBS.log.

The list of errors is here: Pastebin.

Any help would be appreciated.

(If it helps, I'm using a Windows/Ubuntu dual install. The active drive is Windows' "System Reserved" drive.)

• Edited by Anubhav C Monday, February 27, 2012 4:35 AM minor formatting
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:56 PM

Answers

• I worked around it using a tool called Vistalizator. It's a hack, but it works.

Note to future readers: Works in SP1. Run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode, use the Windows 7 MUI (not the Windows 7 SP1 MUI) and use express install. Then reboot.

• Marked as answer by Anubhav C Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Anubhav C Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:08 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please download the Fix it tool from Microsoft to resolve your Windows Update issue.

Refer to the following article to resolve the issue.

You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

If the issue persisits, please update in Clean boot Mode.

How to perform Clean boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Ivan, 

The Knowledge Base item doesn't help, as I don't get this error while trying to install .NET updates. The 'additional information' section of the KB article has info about such cases: It says to log installation attempt and submit it to a technician for scrutiny.

Clean boot looks like it'll take a lot of time. (As the LP install attempt takes upto 30 minutes every time.) I'd rather not try it unless it's absolutely necessary... Why do you think the problem has to do with a startup item or a service?

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. 

• Edited by Anubhav C Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:31 PM original message comes off as dismissive
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:33 AM
  • I worked around it using a tool called Vistalizator. It's a hack, but it works.

Note to future readers: Works in SP1. Run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode, use the Windows 7 MUI (not the Windows 7 SP1 MUI) and use express install. Then reboot.

• Unmarked as answer by Anubhav C Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:08 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:08 AM