none
WoW game crashes with Windows Media Player playing video

Question

• Okay, so my WoW game crashes consitently each and every time. If I have a movie playing at the same time I have WoW running. Sometimes sooner sometimes later. But It will crash eventually guranteed.

Granted, I will admit that I didnt like the version of windows media player I had on vista and never really used it perhaps this is why I didnt see a problem there (the lack of use). So it may not be a RC problem. But my 64 bit version is definitely crashing nonetheless.

Before anyone goes off into mindless drivel about my PC not having the specs for it, underpowered for the task, etc. I assure you its not. For those who think its ia power supply issue or a memory issue, I assure you its not. I have done all the troubleshooting I can think of in terms of things that cause crashes. Nothing really crashes this system for any reason at all. No amount of stress on the PC will crash it. But this one singular task. Reproducibly will crash my system.

It happens every time. Sometimes within the first 10 mins, sometimes in the last hour of the movie. But almost always somewhere in the 2.5hour span of a movie. IT.WILL.CRASH.

Try it.  Let me know what you experience.

And should it be of any relevance. I am doing this in dual screen. Game on one, movie on another.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

I quite agree with No.Compromise, you need to make it clear: does the game crash, Windows Media Player crash or the whole system crash?

Based on my experience, several crashes related Windows Media Player are related to video drivers, media files and Enhanced Video Render (EVR). Regarding your issue and your troubleshooting results, it seems mainly due to EVR component.

The enhanced video renderer (EVR) is a component that displays video on the user's monitor, if the EVR sends EC_DISPLAY_CHANGED event while playing the video, it may stop other applications. To identify this, I recommend that you take the following suggestions:

1. Play different formats of videos, including local media and network resource.

2. Disconnect one monitor and play Windows Media Player and WoW at the same time to see if the issue occurs.

References:

Enhanced Video Renderer

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms694916(VS.85).aspx

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:44 AM

All replies

• Doing additional tests, I managed to play the entire 2.5 movie with VLC player. The problem may actually be with the native media player in windows 7. If someone has access to windows vista or XP in dual boot or something. Test it, run the game and win11 media player running and see if it crashes your system. The problem may have nothing to do with win 7. I will do more testing with VLC player and see if it ever crashes. I might have just gotten lucky as this issue is intermittent in that the time it takes to crash varies.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:11 PM
  • You indicate the game crashes, but you talk about system crashes.  What problem, precisely, are you encountering?
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

I quite agree with No.Compromise, you need to make it clear: does the game crash, Windows Media Player crash or the whole system crash?

Based on my experience, several crashes related Windows Media Player are related to video drivers, media files and Enhanced Video Render (EVR). Regarding your issue and your troubleshooting results, it seems mainly due to EVR component.

The enhanced video renderer (EVR) is a component that displays video on the user's monitor, if the EVR sends EC_DISPLAY_CHANGED event while playing the video, it may stop other applications. To identify this, I recommend that you take the following suggestions:

1. Play different formats of videos, including local media and network resource.

2. Disconnect one monitor and play Windows Media Player and WoW at the same time to see if the issue occurs.

References:

Enhanced Video Renderer

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms694916(VS.85).aspx

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:44 AM