none
MSE Error Code 0x80070643 – Cannot Install Microsoft Security Essentials / Windows XP

Question

•  

A. ~ PROBLEM: cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials (yes, I read & followed the realted threads 1<sup>st</sup>).  MSE Downloads OK. But, click “Install”, it launches, in 2-3 seconds it stops & I receive MSE Error Code 0x80070643:

Microsoft Security Essentials Installation Error – cannot complete Security Essentials installation – an error has prevented the Security Essentials setup wizard from completing successfully – Please restart your computer & try again.” Using normal start-up mode / Owner (same error if tried as Administrator).

B. ~ RE: Download from: mse.dlservice.microsoft.com . . . . File: mseinstall.exe (10.5MB)
    From Microsoft site, using only Internet Explorer (or FireFox) as Microsoft instructs.

NOTE: I read & followed all the realated threads w/o success, e.g. of Stephen Boots, MVP Community Moderator

C. ~ MY SYSTEM:

• Windows XP Pro (Ver. 2002) with SP3 (32-bit),

• Using Internet Explorer 8 (all security zones to default level),

• ALL updates current to date (“install updates automatically” selected in Windows Update).

• Running Windows Installer 4.5,

• Windows Firewall is ON (there is no ZoneAlarm).

• Clock is up to date.

• No Windows Defender.

• Not using a proxy server.

• XP is registered w/ Microsoft.

• ALL anti-virus, anti-spyware & anti-malware programs are removed (see detail E2 below).

D. ~ BACKGROUND: Got simultaneous hit with: a.) ZeroAccess malware / isecurity.exe; & b.) Trojan:Win32/Sirefef.AL.

see: www(dot)microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Trojan:Win32/Sirefef.AL

Caused need to repair and reconfigure some Windows security features. Plus, it corrupted MSE, forcing me to uninstall MSE & attempt re-install MSE task . . . but re-install cannot be completed.

E – STEPS TAKEN:

1.) Confirmed Malware & Trojan are completely removed, (files & registry) with full system scans – listed in order:

• MalwareBytes (run multiple times to confirm)

• C-Cleaner

• Microsoft Safety Scanner

ADDITIONAL REMEDIATION STEPS TAKEN

• Restored System Files & Settings back to 24 hours BEFORE attack.

• Windows Firewall Repair Fixit

• Windows Security Settings Fixit

• Windows Update FixIt

• Windows MSE Uninstall Tool FixIt (fixed Corrupt Patch Registry keys)

• Updated all other software: Java, Adobe Flash, Adobe Acrobat, etc.

• MalwareBytes & C-Cleaner full system scans...again. Nothing found.

2.) Removed ALL real-time anti-virus, spyware & malware programs that were ever installed (AdAware, MalwareBytes & SpyBot), using:

• Control Panel > Ad/Remove Programs

• Then cleanup tools, used each Anti-Virus' Manufacturer's individual removal tools found here:
      experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/156.aspx

• Re-booted as directed thru-out & at very end.

• Note: NO “free virus checker” (which can be selected by default) was ever installed with Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, etc.

3.) This is when all attempts to install MSE were tried, & all failed. I thoroughly read & followed Microsoft pages:

• Read / Tried Community Posts, all steps unsuccessful: Checklist for installing Microsoft Security Essentials
      a.) experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/89.aspx
      b.) answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/installation-error-0x80070643/908fad3e-f9fc-4d8a-be83-ae7d3bc48db5?auth=1
      c.) answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essential-error-0x80070643/85460032-9fcb-4743-be6b-e703c1ee6794

• Using normal start-up mode / Owner: PROBLEM persists: MSE Downloads OK. But, click “Install”, it launches, in 2-3 seconds it stops & I receive MSE Error Code 0x80070643: “

HELP – need to install MSE . . . but HOW? Any workarounds or solutions appreciated.

P.S. - I cannot find install logs from this XP path:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support\msseInstall.log

Friday, May 03, 2013 3:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• check this : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/installation-error-0x80070643/908fad3e-f9fc-4d8a-be83-ae7d3bc48db5

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 03, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Arnav -

Thanks for your suggestion, however my original post (see section #E, 3, b.) mentioned I had already tried the thread you suggested w/o a MSE installation solution achieved.

Keep the ideas coming tho - want to get MSE installed ASAP to keep out th ebad guys!

Thx, Tippicanoe

Friday, May 03, 2013 9:38 PM
  • Zeroaccess is a rootkit. It has been my experience that the steps you have taken to remove it are insufficient and this could be why you cannot install MSE. It may be necessary to use Combofix. You could take a chance and follow a removal guide such as

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-zeroaccess-rootkit/

but you would be better served by starting a new thread on one of the following forums where you will receive one-on-one assistance in dealing with this problem. You will notice that on the top of the bleepingcomputer forum, you are instructed to not run Combofix unless requested (most probably you will be requested to do it - but follow their advice at the time on how to use it)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Malware-Removal-Assistance
    • Marked as answer by Tippicanoe Monday, June 03, 2013 7:19 AM
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 1:23 AM
  • You should also seriously consider the advice given on this page

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

• Marked as answer by Tippicanoe Monday, June 03, 2013 7:20 AM
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 4:52 AM
  • Bottom line:
    Fixed the problem for $150 with 100% certainty of success!

Noting that MS will no longer support XP after April 2014, I didn't want to put any money towards fixing my Dell (re: to rid Zeroaccess from an XP system & restore all settings, etc.) ....it just wasn't worth my time**,  especially noting info in "mystified's" article: "Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?" (see link in post below).  Plus, after 4.5 yrs, it was time for a new PC.

Thus, I got a New HP PC with Windows 7 (I didn't want Windows 8) & twice the RAM, faster chip, & double the HD space than what I previously had . . . got it for below 1/2 price, a deal on an open box + coupon = $150 out the door with up to 5 yr warranty (1 of those moments when multiple deals stack up to net the price way down). 

The price of the new PC was below quotes from Tech Services to rid the old XP Dell machine of Zeroaccess.

Will wipe the hard drive of the old XP Dell machine, reload OS & software, etc. & use it for a back-up machine.

**NOTE: I read & followed all the related threads about how to delete Zeroaccess w/o success (e.g. of Stephen Boots, MVP Community Moderator);  spent 1.5 days off-&-on, at some point it's not worth the time vs. buying new replacement PC.

Monday, June 03, 2013 7:44 AM