none
IE8 hangs for about 30 seconds when launched.

Question

• When opening IE8 for the first time after booting up it hangs for about 30 seconds (just a blank page and the main tab is labelled "Connecting") and is completely unresponsive (none of the buttons or entry fields function) during this time. Eventually it starts going and works normally and if it is launched again without rebooting it starts up just fine. I've found that going to Internet Options->Advanced->Reset will fix the problem for the current user, but we are using hundreds of computers with even more users so doing this manual fix for every machine isn't ideal. Also, the install of IE8 we pushed out to the computers has very minimal customization (as far as I know the only modification done was to the proxy settings and some of the security settings) so I'm not sure what would be changing when choosing to reset the settings. I have noticed that before I reset the configuration the "Software Channel Permissions" option under the security settings is missing but I'm not sure if this is what is causing this issue. If that could be the problem how would I make that option visible through the registry? I have a registry snapshot of before and after the reset if that will help. Thank you.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:19 PM

All replies

• Another small clue. When IE8 is unresponsive it seems to be sending one packet of data per second and each packet is going to a different IP address (they all appear to be different Microsoft addresses) over a period of 15 seconds (so 15 packets sent to 15 different IP address).
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:26 PM
  • hmm..

I got an asp.net vb8 app that runs fine on one ie8 and dies on bunch of other machines.

Could be a code change I made with session vars.. but anyways:

Guy that works, only diff I see so far is:

Software channel permissions (which like you said appears only after factory reset)

-Low

No sites listed in pop-up blocker

advanced tab:

suggested sites not ticked

security - both top 2 Allow active content .. unticked.

=============================

=============================

Just self talkin below:

hmm by die I mean she not really locked up.. when I scroll up manually .. she scroll back down.

she sposed to go from

1screen to middle screen to 3screen;  

to 1 to middle to 3 ;

etc etc

Pattern seen is that she flicks fast in a screen and then the next screen meta tag refresh seem to not work.

hmm.. page unload not hit properly maybe where I set a session var for a redirect on next dude.

hmm.. on ie6 she never die.. on ie7 very very random die... on firefox never die

hmm.. dies on fast new machines as well

hmm.. one she still okay on is a hardwired laptop

NL Canada
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:57 PM
  • hmm.. but thought I read somewhere that default for Trusted Sites is low anyways..

Note that on laptop that it works on, the ie8 version is the bing / live one as well.... verxxxIC

but i got that to hang as well.. hmmm wip

NL Canada
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:32 PM
  • so I hope that when I go back testing.. all the ones that fail are medium setting like my ie8..   :)
    NL Canada
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:56 PM
  • sorry guys...I'll stop talking to myself.. only my second post thread .. and I prob not in right area.  I close up now.

the 'software channel permissions' difference on laptop that worked not seem to be reason.

(ps: only on my machine with fresh ie8 reinstall did the 'reset' to factory give me this new security setting under trusted site zone)

(ps: I found the registry on other computers had this setting set to Medium.. thought default was Low.. I set to low(3)... no diff for me)regedit32--localmachine--software--microsoft--windows--currentversion--internetsettings--zones--2(trustedsites)--1E05--[high=00010000; low=00030000; med=00020000......careful value num order seemed off to me at first]

IE8 chugs for awhile until app has lots of flights listed... IE6/etc/etc fine

she died at home at 2 min past midnight...after lots of todays flights added.

she'll chug until page has about 8 rows lately.... then die after bout 5 min of chugging

prob due to my page needing more meta tag time to let er fully load and set session vars for redirect properly.

And ahhh.. new theory..

the computer that works is in the sar trailer which I believe has a more direct link to the server...

and stuff easier to reproduce in morning when traffic higher..

i bet if i take the 'broken' ie8 computers and put in sar trailer.. she chug all day.. hmm

k.. thanks to all .. sorry i went in this 'software channel permission' thread... but maybe somein I typed useful. :)

----

hmm.. I not try run ie8 in simplier mode -k  ...  prob n/a and that would be extra setup step

ie: shortcut to bat file (to get nice icon) that call webpage

start "titleJoe" "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -k "https://www.xxxxx:4443/xxxxxxxxxx.aspx"

NL Canada
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:51 AM
  • i prob in wrong post etc.. but just finishin what i started typin.

thanks.

bye.

k.. ends up my page not really hang, but just never refreshed based on session vars.

she not like meta tags on this page when she also had javascript scroll stuff.

======= from: =============

<meta  id="RefreshPeriodBackupHmmm" runat="server" http-equiv="refresh" content="15" />
      or page load complete to play with content?
    RefreshPeriodBackupHmmm.Content = "4" ' this override 15? yes it does..but it still failed..hmm try in load as well?

======= to: =============  man this prob real bad :o

' .vb page load

Dim sbScript As New StringBuilder()
    With sbScript

.Append("function forcePostback(){")
     .Append(" alert('bye'); ")
     .Append((Page.ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(Me.Page, "PBArg") + ";" + ControlChars.Lf))
     .Append("}")

.Append(" function forcePostback_WithScroll()")
    .Append("{")
    '.Append(" alert('hi page load function creat but not called cept scroll'); ")
    .Append("  t=setTimeout('forcePostback()',17000); ")
    .Append("   pageScrollRepeat(); ")
    .Append("} ")

.Append(" function forcePostback_WithScroll_NO()")
    .Append("{")
    .Append("  t=setTimeout('forcePostback()',17000); ")
    .Append("} ")

.Append(" function pageScrollRepeat()")
    .Append("{")
    .Append("window.scrollBy(0,1);") '50  (h,v)
    .Append("scrolldelay = setTimeout('pageScrollRepeat()',30);") '60 '100 (milliseconds)
    .Append("} ")

End With

If Not (ScriptManager.GetCurrent(Me.Page) Is Nothing) Then

If (Not Page.ClientScript.IsStartupScriptRegistered("forcePostback")) Then
     Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "forcePostback", sbScript.ToString(), True)
     End If

End If
    sbScript = Nothing

-----------------------------------

and just some portion other code that I ended up doing in a sub from lower portion page load call:

hmm.. javascript wip :) i prob do 50 steps not required..

If GridView_DEP_PILOTS.Rows.Count > 8 Then ' 'scroll now dynamic ref body 30Oct2009
        Dim sb As New StringBuilder
        With sb
     ''.Append("<script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript'>")
     .Append("function setup_ForcePostback_Scroll()")
     .Append("{")
     '.Append("window.scrollBy(0,1);") '50  (h,v)
     '.Append("scrolldelay = setTimeout('pageScroll()',1000);") '60 '100 (milliseconds)

.Append("forcePostback_WithScroll(); ")

.Append("}")

'temp rem see if yyt moves okay with new onload:
      .Append("window.onload = setup_ForcePostback_Scroll;")

''.Append("")
     ''.Append("</script>")
        End With
        '
        'Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock("SetFocus", sb.ToString())
     If (Not Page.ClientScript.IsStartupScriptRegistered("setup_ForcePostback_Scroll")) Then
       'i turn script off and did myself ref above
       'Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "pageScroll", sb.ToString(), False)
       Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "setup_ForcePostback_Scroll", sb.ToString(), True)
     End If
        End If
        sb = Nothing
        ''''''''  

'End If 'scroll now dynamic ref body 30Oct2009
    Else ' k.. non scroll guy I adjust for meta tag replace / 08Aug2011
    '08Aug2011 
    'this no scroll

Dim sb As New StringBuilder
     With sb
      .Append("function setup_ForcePostback_Scroll()")
      .Append("{")
      .Append("forcePostback_WithScroll_NO(); ")
      .Append("} ")
      'temp rem see if yyt moves okay with new onload:
      .Append(" window.onload = setup_ForcePostback_Scroll;")
     End With

If (Not Page.ClientScript.IsStartupScriptRegistered("setup_ForcePostback_Scroll")) Then
       Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "setup_ForcePostback_Scroll", sb.ToString(), True)
     End If
     End If
     sb = Nothing

End If ' >8 moved here 08Aug2011 / ' k.. non scroll guy I adjust for meta tag replace / 08Aug2011

NL Canada
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:07 PM