none
Select all from the context menu

Question

• Is thier a way to return Select All to the context menu? In other words, when you right click on a list of files, you could just scroll down and do select all instead of having to go to edit, select all etc.  I dont like using cntrl a. Windows 7 seems to be a good operating system so far. I dont understand why they keep changing the layout of things though.
    Any hep would be appreciated, thank you.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:05 PM

Answers

• to add select all in the context menu :

1. Download selectall.zip and save it to the Desktop.

2. Unzip the archive and extract the contents to a folder.

3. Move the file selectall.vbs to the C:\Windows directory.

4. Double-click selectall.reg to add the Select All context menu option.

The Select All option is added to the right-click menu. This menu option will be seen when you right-click on the Desktop and when right-clicking on an empty area in a folder..

Undo Information

To remove the Select All option from the right-click menu, run the file undo.reg. Then delete the file selectall.vbs manually from the Windows directory.

or just click on organize and use select all from there.....

Source.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:07 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:34 PM

All replies

• to add select all in the context menu :

1. Download selectall.zip and save it to the Desktop.

2. Unzip the archive and extract the contents to a folder.

3. Move the file selectall.vbs to the C:\Windows directory.

4. Double-click selectall.reg to add the Select All context menu option.

The Select All option is added to the right-click menu. This menu option will be seen when you right-click on the Desktop and when right-clicking on an empty area in a folder..

Undo Information

To remove the Select All option from the right-click menu, run the file undo.reg. Then delete the file selectall.vbs manually from the Windows directory.

or just click on organize and use select all from there.....

Source.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:07 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:34 PM
  • It should be pointed out that this problem (the loss of "select all" functionality) is a fault, not a design change on the part of Microsoft it's a flaw that develops in the software. If you google "select all not working" you'll see that it happens to a lot of people in a lot of different environments.  For some reason people think its a problem with their specific application - I think it's an O/S problem and the fact that it can be fixed with a change to the registry tends to support that conclusion.   I just implemented the fix listed below and it's worked fine so far.

Thanks nitinagarwal1988 -- can I call you Niti? In my situation, even the "select all" option from the "organize" menu was disabled - but it's back now - thanks again.

• Edited by Deck.Hazen Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:57 AM more information
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Well, I spoke to soon and shortly after my last entry the "select all" function went away again.  The good news (kinda) is that I found out what's causing it -- it's the "browse" button on a web page I'm building to upload files to a server- here's the code:

<FORM METHOD=POST ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" ACTION="<?PHP echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">
    Files to upload:   <INPUT TYPE=FILE NAME="uploads" SIZE="80">
    <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE="Submit">
    <INPUT TYPE=RESET VALUE="Reset">
    </FORM>

The only thing different about this form from most others is the ability to capture multiple objects - hence the "multipart/form-data"type - this allows the user to grab a combination of files, but in my case it turns off that ability.

Fortunately the system can be fixed up again with the fix from  nitinagarwal1988 (above), but I need that function in order for my page to work properly. 

Robinson, perhaps someone over at your place could have a look and let me know if you guys come up with a fix?

thanks,

-- Deck

Saturday, June 04, 2011 3:02 AM