none
Nvidia windows kernel mode driver error

Question

• recently I get the following message: Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 190.16 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
    I am using Win7 64bit and a Geforce 9600GT
    I tried a few different driver (official released and now the beta-driver)  from Nvidia homepage but with all of them I get this error...
    Does it only happen with the 64bit version or anyone with 32bit also expecting the same??

Any hints would be very nice

greetings
    Elegon

Monday, August 03, 2009 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hello Elegon,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might push the device manufacturer to upgrade their driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:17 AM

All replies

• I was running a Geforce 8600 in Win 7 and never received any errors, but I don't know if the different card would make a difference or not.
    Monday, August 03, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Hello Elegon,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might push the device manufacturer to upgrade their driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:17 AM
  • I am "Octogenarian Graham"  with new Compaq Presario CQ60, GeForce 8200M G? NVIDIA driver version 180.22.   W7 7100 installed & working perfectly except will only use "generic VGA"  have downloaded suggested W7 driver from NVIDEA and nothing will persuade W7 to install
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:25 PM
  • I am "Octogenarian Graham"  with new Compaq Presario CQ60, GeForce 8200M G? NVIDIA driver version 180.22.   W7 7100 installed & working perfectly except will only use "generic VGA"  have downloaded suggested W7 driver from NVIDEA and nothing will persuade W7 to install

And it it not considered appropriate to "hijack" someone else's to post your problem in.

The correct way is for you to start your own thread with your problem.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Only because no one answers my threadf
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 1:38 PM
  • I am having a similar problem but even worse shortly after start up i get the same

" Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 190.16 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I also sometimes get:

• Little green pixels appearing in some windows
    • Complete system failure where i have to forcably restart holding down on the power button

This is extremely annoying and is ruining nvidia's reputation for make good graphics cards.

Could someone PLEASE identify if this is a hardware or driver related problem.

P.S i have a Asus 19500gt and i'm running Windows 7(also had the same problem with vista)
    would a clean install help ?

• Proposed as answer by K. Siaw Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:20 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:28 AM
  • I am having the same problem with vista x64 and a Windows 7 x64 clean install. I have tried multiple drivers from nvidia with similar results.

xfx 9500gt

Information on the web, but no solution available at this moment... I heard x32 driver version have no problem. nvidia reputation is falling down

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Same problem here - windows 7 - x64 - GeForce 8600 GT  - and yes - all windows updated have been applied.  

Andrew
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Hi folks-Same issue Here. Sometimes my screen would freeze with an audible buzz which would last for about 5 seconds then completely freeze solid. I would need to reboot via the power button.

Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 191.07 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Sometimes happens for no particular reason, more so in media center and very much so in demanding games. I thought it was my card (GForce 8600GT) that died so I picked an new 9800. I also threw a 750watt PSU at it, new AMD Phenom X4 and multiple coolong fans at it. I have been so fustrated with this issue until I gave my 9800 to a friend to install and really work through the paces. He had no problems running Crysis for hours at a time while I would run Farcry 2 for 2 minutes and then freeze up solid

He is running XP SP3

It is very fustrating getting all new hardware only to put faith into an OS that won't play nice. Lets hope this becomes more documented so Nvidia and or MS can get out a fix.

Until then, I will be crash free after I reinstalll XP

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:19 AM
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one having a problem.  I have a GForce GT 220 and Windows 7 64 bit.  I get the same error message all the time and it has been a pain in the butt to even play Warcraft or watch videos.  Tried uninstalling, rolling back, reinstalling new drivers but nothing helped.  Screen goes black, comes back with the recovery message.  Periodically I get lots of green squares on the screen.  Warcraft tends to go black and then the toolbar shows back up and nothing else.  Hope they come out with a fix soon.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:10 AM
  • I will do a clean install of XP tonight or tomorrow with all the same hardware and report my findings. My money is on the Nvidia driver for Windows 7 64 bit. If any one else has plans to do the same, please report your findings. I would love to see this isolated to a driver/OS issue and not a hardware problem. I'm going broke throwing new parts at this!
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:47 PM
  • I was running a Geforce 8600 in Win 7 and never received any errors, but I don't know if the different card would make a difference or not.
    Rick-Are you running a 64 or 32 bit OS?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I've tried installing W7 x32, aplied all updates. I saw a pretty W7 blue screen after some crashing messages... I installed a clean XP x32, just a week ago, and i have no problem with the desktop, but a hard 3d test crashed the system with a blank screen, while music continues playing. I don't know if there is a hardware problem now, because I never had this problem before Vista and 7 installation.
    Wow! I forgot all about it! My computer chipset fan stop working (nvidia nforce), i replaced it twice and stopped again (Asus A8N-SLI typical issue). Maybe the chipset cause this problem? I'm working without chipset fan around 2 years!

Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:14 PM
  • I got the same problem, running 8600M GT.
    I heard someone fixed it by updating chipset and BIOS, but I can't find any updated drivers for my chipset or BIOS anywhere.

Graphics: 8600M GT
    Chipset: Intel PM965
    BIOS: Compal JFL92 1.16 (December 12, 2007)

If anyone has any luck with that information, please reply.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:02 PM
  • You asked if anybody else besides the 64bit is having this problem, I am. I have GE 9600GT and have done everything the same as Elegon. Still nothing. Actually am using 186.18 right now just changed to it last night. Still happening  it has happended 8 times in this thread already. Seems to be more 2d graphics that cause it rather than 3d graphics.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Hello geakeiv and others,

I have GT 220 and W7 64 bit and had the same problem.

The driver version (from NVidia archive) 186.34 seemed to work almost fine, installed in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.
    It still is a bit unstable, but compared to anything else I have tried - this ROCKS.

So, you can try different drivers (the oldest worked for me) and also  different cards' drivers, at least it couldn't get any worse?

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Oh and by the way, I'm using Windows 7 x64.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:07 AM
  • So far we can conclude that this is only happening to Nvidia users with Windows 7 64-bit?
    I recall having no problems what so ever using Windows 7 32-bit.

Edit: Nevermind, I saw Naristico's post.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:11 AM
    Rick-Are you running a 64 or 32 bit OS?

64-bit Win 7
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:37 PM
  • (sorry my english)
    I have the same problem here! I'm using Geforce 260 GTX + Win7 64!
    And sometimes the screen freeze, having to restart the computer

Obs: I tested with WinXP 64 bits and it's freezing the screen too.
    Maybe the problem is with Nvidia!
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 1:53 PM
  • I will do a clean install of XP tonight or tomorrow with all the same hardware and report my findings. My money is on the Nvidia driver for Windows 7 64 bit. If any one else has plans to do the same, please report your findings. I would love to see this isolated to a driver/OS issue and not a hardware problem. I'm going broke throwing new parts at this!
    I unplugged all my hard drives and installed an 80Gig drive, formatted it and installed XP (32 bit) and updated everything. Same problem. I plugged in the Win 7 Drive (64bit)Just for fun, I removed 4 gigs of memory, leaving me with only 2. Farcry2 ran much better even after maxing out all settings. So I fired up Media Center and crashed 10 seconds into watching live TV. I did run a memory test overnight and everything was fine. I did lend the card to a friend who ran it hard for hours w/o any problems. Any thoughts?
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:33 PM
  • im having the same problem as well, my computer ran smoothly for a yeah using windows vista ultimate 32bit with an nvidia geforce 8800gts 640mb. and this problem started while using vista, so i thought reformating the comp and installing windows 7 64bit would fix the problem. it got better for sure. but still i cant run wow or cod mw2. with out it crashing. and i tried to go back to vista, and the same problem occured, i also tried, soo man driver updates for my video card and my motherboard. nothing will fix this, so it seems. im wondering if installing a new card will change that. and iv heard on a few other forums that it also happens with ati cards as well, just so you know :/ this sucks man

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:22 PM
  • I have the same problem. I have tried with all OS (Vista x32 and Vista x64, Win7 x32 and Win x64). Always the same.
    The only solution to the problem at least for me, the Version 179.14, 09/19/2008 for Vista.
    The solution for the desktop but not for the latest games.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 5:08 PM
  • has any acually tried changing video cards?? im just curious so i dont have to go waste i couple hundred bucks :/

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:02 PM
  • has any acually tried changing video cards?? im just curious so i dont have to go waste i couple hundred bucks :/

No I have not. I am thinking of grabbing my brother 8800GT and giving it a go. The onboard works great (geforce 8300) but just not enough HP to game with. If you were to google this subject, you will see a tremendous amounts of hits and the problem is not exclusive to Nvidia cards. ATI has driver failures as well.  This problem seems to become more widespread with every passing day. I would hold off buying a new card until you test one first. I for one am getting tired of throwing money at this problem.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:26 PM
  • yeah same here, and iv been trying to study this problem for the past 6 days, all i find is a bunch of possibilities, but no full proof answer. yeah a buddy of mine is going to let me borrow his card to see if it runs right. lets hope i guess. iv never, in the past 7 years of working with computers have a problem so irritating as this. it sucks man. expecially when your $3000 dollar computer you built is suddenly worthless because of this bs
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:45 PM
  • To everyone considering memory upgrades, new video cards, mobo swaps etc, try to borrow a friends hardware before sinking moolah into this. The only thing more frustrating than this problem is buying upgrades on the advice of these and other forums and stil having the problem. Believe me, I have been there, done that to my machine w/o any change.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:10 PM
  • I just rebuilt my computer. Asus PSKPL-VM rev 2.01c, 4 gig ram, sata drives, and first Geforce 8600 gt, now 9800 gt. I bought a new card in hopes it was just the old video card. Went through lots of drivers, new and old, vista 64 bit and win 7 64 bit. Nothing works well so far. Microsoft and video card manufacturers need to get with it. Do you want another Vista on your hands?!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:32 AM
  • I just rebuilt my computer. Asus PSKPL-VM rev 2.01c, 4 gig ram, sata drives, and first Geforce 8600 gt, now 9800 gt. I bought a new card in hopes it was just the old video card. Went through lots of drivers, new and old, vista 64 bit and win 7 64 bit. Nothing works well so far. Microsoft and video card manufacturers need to get with it. Do you want another Vista on your hands?!

Interesting. I too have a ASUS MOBO, ASUS M3N78-EM which I had put a NVidia 8600 in it. One morning, the video card died so I put in a NVidia GT9800. The problems started when the 8600 died. I was running win7 RC7100 without any problems for months with the 8600. I have along with the ASUS mobo and 9800GT, 6 gigs of ram, 1.5 TB HD and a 750W PSU with Win 7 64 it running on top of it.

I have an old MSI board lying around. Im gonna put the 9800GT in and beat the snot out of the card until the lights in the house dim.  This may be a stretch but is it posible that drivers/os caused the 8600 to fail and mess up the motherboard preventing the proper operation of the PCIe slot that addon GPUs go?
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:59 PM
  • I loaded up an old hard drive with windows XP on it. All the same hardware. I can boot into XP or windows 7. In XP guess what, no problems. In windows 7 I get the Kernal mode driver error, with several version of drivers. If I don't get that, it just crashes to blue screen. When using media player I get jerky video with some movie clips, others seem ok. When I get the jerky movements it is accompanied by short black flashes on the whole screen. Asus PSKPL-VM rev 2.01c, 4 gig ram, 9800GT, also had the same problem with the 8600 gt. Did not try it in XP but it worked in XP before the windows 7 upgrade. It was a clean install to a new hardrive. Windows home 64 bit upgrade.

I have not tried the latest windows 7 drivers for the motherboard and chipset yet from ASUS. I don't get any errors in the device manager though. Assumed win 7 loaded newest drivers.

It sure seems to be the Nvidia drivers for 64 bit win7. I will try the motherboard updates in win 7 and let everyone know what happens.

Any thoughts?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Hmmmm. ASUS Motherboards, NVidia 8600 and NVidia 9800? That's 3 on this thread. Hmmmmm.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:40 PM
  • I have an Nvidia 8800GT, and am running Windows 7 32-bit (upgraded from Vista).  I upgraded to Win 7 a month ago and have been playing Left 4 Dead 2 since with no problems.  Many, many hours worth.  Two nights ago, for no apparent reason, it began to crash.  Now it crashes within 30 seconds as soon as I load a campaign and begin to play.  The game freezes, the sound loops, and when I alt-tab out I see the "nvidia windows kernel mode driver has stopped responding" message. 

Why would this happen suddenly so long after upgrading and gaming error free within Win 7? 
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:41 AM
  • Did you just update drivers, or did win 7 update them for you maybe?
    So does anyone know if Nvidia is saying anything about these problems?
    How about ATI cards. Are they having any problems. What would be a good model to replace the Geforce 9800GT?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:05 PM
  • I was having the same problem for quite some time. Initially, my Windows 7 x64 install worked beautifully, then the "...stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error started happening very often. I too searched for solutions for quite some time and found none online. 

I think I FINALLY may have found a working solution, at least for my situation... I was initially using the Windows-installed driver for my eVGA 780i's on-board HD Audio. The chipset is manufactured by Realtek, so I popped over to their site, installed their latest Win7 driver instead, and haven't seen that same error since. (http://www.realtek.com/downloads/) Strange that audio drivers would affect the video drivers' performance, eh? Of course, who knows if it'll last, but it's been over a solid week problem free so far.

Also, make sure you install the motherboard chipset drivers. (For eVGA mobos: http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/)

Hopefully this helps others, because I know how frustrating that damn error got for me.

eVGA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
    eVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 Video
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for posting the info MattManG. I have a dv7-3080us hp, and I get this when watching flash videos on full screen. I went to hardware drivers in control panel, and went to Sound and right clicked the multiple NVIDIA High Definition Audio drivers, and selected update for some of them, and this seems to ameliorate the problem.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:33 AM
  • I'm glad it worked for you but it seems that I may have spoken too soon, because I've been getting the error again today. Damn.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:49 AM
  • you might want to look at the web site below. Apparently, flashing your bios and mother board cpu chipset  does the trick.

Friday, December 18, 2009 11:05 AM
  • I flashed my BIOS, and updated the chipset from Intel, and still encounter the same windows 7 errors, "windows vista kernel driver stopped responding and recovered," etc. This happens over and over until my system becomes unstable. I have also tried various versions of Nvidia drivers, to no avail. I have also uninstalled all other drivers to make sure there are no weird incompatibilities.

Laptop: Dell XPS 1710
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX
    CPU: Intel Core 2
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:11 AM
  • same problem here
    i'm using a gateway notebook p-7807
    a intel chipset with a 9800gts and windows 7 x64 professional
    gateway support said that i need to wait the new chipset driver to fix this problem
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:32 PM
  • recently I get the following message: Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 190.16 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
    I am using Win7 64bit and a Geforce 9600GT
    I tried a few different driver (official released and now the beta-driver)  from Nvidia homepage but with all of them I get this error...
    Does it only happen with the 64bit version or anyone with 32bit also expecting the same??

Any hints would be very nice

greetings
    Elegon

Drivers up to 195.62 continue to show this error. The only way out is to find an ATI card and use that as the NVIDIA drivers are useless.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:43 AM
  • Hey guys, first time here,
    same problem with Nvidia driver, I have tried it on both 64 for and 86(32) version of windows 7 ultimate and still getting the exact same error, but what I have noticed is; if i lower the screen resoulotion to any thing less than 1680x1050 it stops the problem, it's strange I know.

Let's hope someone can come up with a proper soloution

cheers

Arta
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Don't hold your breath, this has been a problem for a long time.

Find an old ATI card for now, and wait for stable software to surface.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    • Proposed as answer by CNC76 Friday, December 25, 2009 4:45 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I have the same error with Windows7 64bit (resolution 1280x1024) and driver NVIDIA 195.62 (Asus GTX275) when I play FSX during a very dense scenary.

Please HELP!!!

bye by CNC
    Friday, December 25, 2009 4:52 PM
  • I wonder how many people got new hardware for Christmas only to have it fail with this issue? We should be getting some new friends on this thread soon!
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:35 AM
  • I agree, talk about a nasty xmas joke.

Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Hey guys, first time here,
    same problem with Nvidia driver, I have tried it on both 64 for and 86(32) version of windows 7 ultimate and still getting the exact same error, but what I have noticed is; if i lower the screen resoulotion to any thing less than 1680x1050 it stops the problem, it's strange I know.

Let's hope someone can come up with a proper soloution

cheers

Arta

Arta: Thanks for advice. I use an HP HDX 18 with NVIDIA GF 9600M GT. Made a clean install of Win7 64bit (since upgrade option warned about too many problems with old software). After upgrade NVIDIA driver is very instable in native 1920 x 1080, but is stable in 1280 x 720.

NVIDIA: please fix your driver ASAP so I can run it in 1920 x 1080 under Win7 64bit.

HP: Maybe you should test your upgrade/drivers on all qualified computers before you let customers pay a lot of money to get Win7 upgrade. This was no good service. Upgrade option did not work and after clean install no working driver for native resolution.

Edit: I Spoke too soon. 1280 x 720 is unstable too. Strange, it was OK until I turned off and restarted.

Monday, December 28, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I also have an NVidia, a GTX260. I had the Video stopped responding errors and then the computer would freeze and I would have to hard reset.  I reciently went to NVIDIAs website and downloaded the latest drivers and it seemed to help a little, I dont get the stopped responding errors.  But I still get lock ups, but different, every 2 days or so I will get my monitor telling me my video signal has stopped and I can still hear music and such in the background for about 15 seconds, then the computer freezes up.  This will happen 2 or 3 times in a day, then not again for a few days.  There is nothing logged in the event log to trace down the errors.  Also seems to happen on 3D stuff, like games, but had it lock up on monitor powersaver as well.

Hope this info helps, really need a resolution, I dont want to have to go back to ATI...

Will try screen size changes to see if they fix the problem, but I dont want some smaller screen size than my monitor would support(1680x1050).
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:35 PM
  • I have posted some remarks about NVIDIA on my site. I have noticed NVIDIA blocked a long thread on dead cards. So my site is free from corporate censorship.

The drivers are no good and some have experienced hardware failure. The problem is cards are overheating and some are burning out. Evidently the GPU is overloaded to the max.

Monday, December 28, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Well I checked my cards temp, it ran at 75c just fine and never went above that most of the time it was at 74c for temp... and when it locked up it was down to 72.4c.  So my issue isnt over heating, though it was a good idea.  But the newer drivers seemed to be the cause, at least with windows 7 64bit.  Worked great for months, till about a month or so ago then its been pretty bad.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:02 AM
  • I put GPU-Z in my startup folder so it would com up and it also showed the GPU temperature to be constant and the fan stuck at 30% speed as well.

So its clear when I looked at a BSOD dump file, its NVIDIA's driver that is the culprit.

I tested the card with the best drivers, it lasted about an hour before the machine finally became unusable.

Worse a moderator over on the NVIDIA forum has locked a popular forum topic on dead cards.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:09 AM
  • My PC is a PackardBell iXtreme I9609 IT i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GT220 and Windows 7 64-bit.
    Has the same problem.

With
    Linux Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit is ok.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:09 PM

I rolled back to an ATI card to get my machine to work. I have the 64 bit Windows and I have now seen it getting more and more widespread.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:39 PM
  • My PC is a PackardBell iXtreme I9609 IT i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GT220 and Windows 7 64-bit.
    Has the same problem.

With
    Linux Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit is ok.
    Have your run the card aggressively to see if it is stable?

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Have your run the card aggressively to see if it is stable?

not aggressively but normally for hours and hours.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Hi GiusCo

I have the same card with W7-64bit, and this is how it works for me, maybe it could work for you too:
    The driver version (from NVidia archive) 186.34 seemed to work almost fine, installed in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.
    It still is a bit unstable, but compared to anything else I have tried - this ROCKS.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Hi GiusCo

I have the same card with W7-64bit, and this is how it works for me, maybe it could work for you too:

I've already sent my PC for technical assistance under warranty.
    In any case I thank you for the suggestion.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I MAY have (sort of) solved the problem for my own case. Config: Win 7, 64 bits, Nvidia GTX 285, Samsung 2233 screen.
    I've been experiencing short freezes followed by a black screen and the oh so famous  "Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 190.16 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

In my case, these freezes never occurred during gaming. Sometimes it would not occur at all, and the next day, it would happen every 10 seconds.
    I was reading this forum precisely because I was experiencing this problem 10 minutes ago... Here's what I just did: I've displayed the running tasks, and to my surprise, Windows Media Player appeared there. Probably launched by Windows at the start; anyway, I terminated the task... And I've been using the computer without any black screen for 30 minutes. It seems to have stopped the problem... For now. Maybe you guys should try it, maybe it will work for some of you... Probably not a very satisfying or permanent solution, but it's a start, I guess.

Pyjama, Paris, France
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I had that problem, turned out some capacitors on my 8600 GT were fried.

• Proposed as answer by Mifune Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:43 PM
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 2:11 AM
  • I have the same issue with an nVidia 8800GT card on Win7 32bit and 64bit OS. I have tried various nVidia drivers all produce the same result eventually, instability that causes OS crashes. 

I tried Safe Mode with Networking and it works fine, regardless of resolution (tried 800x600 up to 1680x1050). Completely stable, no driver crashes, etc. 

So, is there a generic windows video driver that can be used when not in Safe Mode? or is this the issue mentioned back a couple of posts, where Windows automagically installs an nVidia driver w/out asking to do so? 
    Monday, January 04, 2010 2:56 AM
  • I suggest checking the card carefully as I have seen reports that cards from 2007 onwards have seen come problems. My 8600 as I said had 2 visible capacitors that had their caps split open. Visit my site and look at the pics, I will post some more when the weather clears and I can make some better pictures.

Monday, January 04, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Hi all

Seems that you having some problems, well i have W7 and NVIDIA 9600GT with driver version of 191, and no problems, but 2 friends of mine have the same problems as you.

So i put my litle brain to work, problems with graphics in windos versions arent new, so i take a old metod of mine and it resolve the problem for them.

First you have to desinstall all drivers of your graphic card, and before you reboot you go to the registry delete the Nvidia Corporation folder,[HKLM\SOFTWARE\"NVIDIA CORPORATION"] ok
    Then go to your computer and click with right side of the mouse and go to display device and desintall your card.

NOW REBOOT

DO NOT RUN NVIDIA INSTALLER

After W7 start it will try to install the card, if it installs it will ask you to reboot, reboot again, and try your game or the aplication that it was crashing. 

If the system wont install do this:

Run nvidia installer only until the parte that he creates the NVIDIA folder in "c:\NVIDIA" wen the wizard appears you will close the wizard do not run the wizard.
    Then go to start->computer and click with the right side of the mouse go to Manage->Device Drivers it will apear a ! in yelow , you tho this, select it and right click with the mouse button then click update driver, a wizard will appear with 2 choices you will select the second one, then a second window will appear and you will select the second choice to, then it will apear a window whit various options of devices to install you select "display adapter", now a new window will appear to select the driver, if there is one there ignore it, click on the button that says "Disk Drive" a small windows will appear to you to give the way to the driver, you go to C:\NVIDIA\driver version\...\Display Driver, you will see 2 files, select the "DISP_DRV" then it will appear a list of cards, select your model and click ok, them wait for the install finish, Reboot the computer at the end, and try out all aplications and games.

Hope that helps, i manage to resolve this way and now they are working with no problems.

Best Regards.

Im Sory for my bad english... its to 2:30 AM... 
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Vitor Simões -> I tried following your instructions, but I can't seem to find the DISP_DRV anywhere. This might be because I use another version of the driver, though.
    Also, by "Manage->Device Drivers" do you mean the Device Manager? And I suppose by the button that says "Disk Drive" that you mean "Have Disk...", since that's the only place I can browse for drivers to install.
    If anyone understood what he tried to tell us, could you make a clarification or a step-by-step guide (if it works, of course)?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hello Again,

"Also, by "Manage->Device Drivers" do you mean the Device Manager?" - YES

"And I suppose by the button that says "Disk Drive" that you mean "Have Disk...", since that's the only place I can browse for drivers to install." - YES

Do you have C:\NVIDIA on your PC?

If yes go to this path "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\195.62\WinVista_Win7\International"(the "195.62" is the driver version)

If not you have to download the driver and run the "*.exe" that you download.
    When you run the "*.exe" it will create that path, all drivers of NVIDIA create this path "C:\NVIDIA" 
    When the *.exe finish to unpack it will start to run the wizard of the instalation dont run it, just close it.
     And then do the procedure that i wrote in the preavious post.

Hope that i explain my self. 

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and not very technical.  Just purchased an HP desktop with an NVIDIA GeForce GT220, running windows 7 64 bit and having the same issue....screen goes black and then get error message "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, version 186.75 stopped responding and has successfully recoverd."    Happens intermittantly. 

Tried calling HP support to no help. 

Has anyone downloaded the newest driver version 8.15.11.8747 available on the HP website?  If so, did it help?

Thank you.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Go to the NVIDIA site and try 195.62 which is current as of today.

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hi there. Are you using an ASUS MOBO?
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Computer has a NVIDIA GeForce GT220

Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:16 AM
  • soo i finally decided to say ____ the bull ____ and i went into a good friend of mine's internet cafe. and had him diagnos the problem for this nvidia kernel driver mode error bs. and as it turns out. it ended up being one of my ram slots. it was shorting out. so from my understanding for those of yall who have tried the updates, different nvidia drivers, and everything else like this, it could be a compatibility issue with your hardware,so you may want to look up your hardwares compatibility with windows 7 32 or 64 bit. and if not thats not the case, you might have faulty hardware, usually having something to do with the ram, motherboard, cpu, or video card. but now i replaced my mobo and everything is running smoothly again, i hope this helps guys, cause i know this problem sucks bad. thanks for all the help guys
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Good to see you were able to identify the fault. It can be tricky without a spare machine or 2 to diagnose issues.

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:29 PM
  • This is kinda nuts though that so many people are having this issue. It seems a lot of people have 9600's, 8800's, 9800's, and 220's. These are all based on the same core are they not?

I have a 9800 and have tried 3 different driver sets as well as the cancel out the wizard approach mentioned above (although it updated the drivers still without me doing it manually) to no avail. I notice it seems to happen to me when I do certain things that often involve multitasking with different programs, playing videos, streaming from sites, etc. One it starts to crash it will continuously crash until I reboot. If I can avoid that first crash, whatever is causing it, I can stay in the clear for a long time. It doesn't appear to be heat related though as my case is cool and I've increased the fan speed on the card.

I am using RivaTuner, however, and have not tried without it which I will shortly. Is this a common point between us all perhaps?

Has anyone tried contacting their vid card manufacturer? If so, any positive responses?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Yes, I have posted some comments on my site about problems with NVIDIA, visit and see in the forum. I also have a page up on my failed 8600 GT that I cleaned up today.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Hi folks. I think a good question would be to ask has anyone tried a different MOBO. I have tried everything except a MOBO as I don't have any lying around and would hate to see it fail. Anyone?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Vegan, do you have any info about this class action going on? I just submitted a ticket with xfx for my card (2 yr warranty on it, score!)
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:43 AM
  • C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\195.62\WinVista_Win7_64\International?
    Don't have no DISP_DRV file there.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:48 AM
  • I am running a 9100 geforce integrated card and I am too having this issue with the failure and lagging video and performance. I did not have this issue before Windows 7, and not even after Win 7 until just recently. I tried system restore and nothing has worked. Its very frustrating as I am still paying this computer off and I just got it in Sept.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:49 AM
  • We can discuss that on my site.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:59 PM
  • not sure if anyone else has made progress on this, but it only seems to happen to me after my pc comes out of sleep. anyone have the same issue?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:48 PM
  • I have been researching this a lot and so far no solutions.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:27 AM
  • I have been tearing my hair out over this problem for a couple of weeks now. I bought a mobo/cpu/ram bundle, gfx card, psu and a couple of HDDs from a big, established UK company, which assembled pre-tested the core components for me before shipping. I stripped down my existing rig and built the new one into my old case. Everything worked smoothly, Windows 7 installed fine and I thought I was on to a winner ... until I start playing games on it.

I get the Kernel mode driver problem every few minutes on just about any game I care to play regardless of how demanding that game is on the system. I.e. 6 year old games cause it just as much as brand new ones.

So far I have tried 
    memtest (no problems detected)
    Different PSU (problem remains)
    A variety of nVidia drivers old and new (exactly the same problem with each version.)
    Aero on and off (no change)
    Swapping out my new card for my old 7800GT (lessens the problem but it still occurs)

The only things I have not been able to swap out and test are my mobo and cpu. However I have run prime 95's torture test on them for a good long time and they seem to handle it just fine.

I am at a loss for what to try next. If anyone has more suggestions for me please post a reply before I defenestrate the whole lot!

Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR Intel P45 Motherboard
    Corsair XMS2 4GB 8500C5 DDR2
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Antec TruePower New Blue Modular 750W Power Supply
    275 GTX Gfx Card
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:38 PM
  • How good is you chassis, I assume its got adequate thermal management to remove all the heat build-up.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Same problem guys. I got everything except MOBO without any luck. I can't play BF2 on my Quad AMD, 5 Gigs of RAM and GT9800. The new case came with 2, 140MM chassis fans and I am water cooling the CPU. Still, no luck. Running Win7 64 bit.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah I have a Lian-Li case with a good throughput of air. I de-fluffed my case fans and gave the whole thing a good wipe down before assembling the new parts into it. It does kick a lot of hot air out of the back, but inside the temperature appears fine.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:01 PM
  • If the air out of the PS is hot, you need a better PS with a higher power rating.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Well, this would hardly be the problem causing the graphics crashes.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:29 PM
  • The air out of the back isn't actually from the PSU. Lian-Li cases are a little unusual in that the PSU is mounted at the bottom, drawing in air from beneath the case and venting it separately from the rest of the cases cooling. Long answer short, I don't think my problem is thermal and I would imagine a 750w power supply would handle my mobo, cpu, ram and a single 275 card. I asked as much when I bought it (from Overclockers UK) and was told is was perfectly sufficient.

I'll get temp readings on my GPU/CPU under load and see if they are out of the ordinary.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hey code, if your new(ish) to this problem, welcome to the club. Throwing parts at it will not fix it, I have tried!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Agreed, I don't think the problem is hardware exactly. My honest thoughts from reading through all these threads:

a) this is a driver issue
    b) this is a Windows 7 issue primarily
    c) this is affecting mostly Nvidia 8/9 generation cards as well as the 200 series and 7's in some cases
    d) some of the cards do have hardware problems, however, them not crashing in other environments (ie XP) or under torture tests likely means most of the problems are not directly related to hardware failure

My problem only happens after coming out of sleep mode, and it has nothing to do with pushing the video card, in fact, it seems to have to do with pushing the CPU, but not even a lot. Those things which I have found cause it for me:
    a) my firefox addon checking my gmail
    b) streaming audio through a web browser
    c) playing games
    d) multi-tasking in general

my guess is one of three things
    1) this is a straight up nvidia driver problem for these specific cards in Windows 7
    2) it is a combination of the above and motherboard chipset drivers having to do with power management
    3) there are miniature termites that have bore nests in multiple batches of cards coming from one assembly line in one of the nividia factories that get overly excited when certain cpu + gpu frequencies coincide that only happens in very specific environments which occur most often in Windows 7 multimedia use....or something like that

doesn't anyone have an nvidia contact!?!? sigh...

UPDATE:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm
    (for whoever has time first)

• Edited by Chris Cusano Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:55 PM update
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Agreed, this is an issue nVidia or Microsoft should be able to deal with.
    I do not believe this has anything to do with malfunctioning hardware.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:23 PM
  • I have been on this thread for some time and tried lots of hardware solutions without any luck. It may be Windows 7 TDR. Check this out...
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:55 PM
  • www.nvlddmkm.com <- lol big problem, eh?

defintely tdr. its been happening since vista though, but in some cases only in w7. A lot of people have found many 'work arounds' (and I say that because just because they solve the problem doesn't mean they are the source of the problem) by swapping hardware (mobo's, ram, vid cards), changing drivers (vid card drivers, mobo drivers, bios versions, even network drivers), or changing os (going back to xp for example that doesnt have tdr).

A lot of things individually can cause it in some cases whereas in others it seems to be some sort of compatibility issue between a different combination of different things at work.  For most people, it seems that the nvidia drivers + w7 added something to the mix that's causing this. To really sum it up would take hundreds of hours of testing different systems and parts by people with some serious understanding of basic hardware-software interaction, which I surely don't have. For a good barrage of things which can help solve your problem see: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm

And spend the time to read through the useful parts. Your solution may be simple, it may not be. It may require hardware changes, it may not. It may be covered by the manufacturer, it may not. HF and dont get too frustrated. My current workaround is don't let my pc go to sleep - a complete solution, no, but I don't have time to spend like the guys on that forum did. I'd rather spend the time working and buy a new video card and if it worked, call it a wrap.
    • Edited by Chris Cusano Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:56 PM addition
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:55 PM
  • "Hey code, if your new(ish) to this problem, welcome to the club. Throwing parts at it will not fix it, I have tried!"

Hey there. Yes this problem started for me a couple of weeks ago when I built a new Windows 7 x64 based machine. It never occurred under XP.
    I have been throwing hardware at it (kind of) but its all hardware I have laying about at home anyway. I am a bit of a hoarder of PC parts, much to my missus dismay.

I read through that nVidia thread posted above by Chris and their "official response" thread. Both nVidia and ATI are placing the blame on the Win 7 Timeout Detection & Recovery service. This certainly seems to be what is triggering the error message, however the root cause of why TDR is kicking in so often seems to be very hard to pin down and seemingly different person to person.

Hardware or driver issues seem to be the scapegoats MS and nVidia are pointing their fingers at respectively, but given the range of different hardware this appears to be occurring on (from my two week trawl through Google) I have the feeling there is something else at play here.

I'm not entirely sure why, or where I read it but I am going to start playing about with the various power saving features of Win 7 this coming weekend. More and more I am coming around to the idea that this is a Windows issue. Not necessarily anything broken, but some combination of events that lead to TDR making an (over zealous?) assumption that my card drivers have died and need a kick.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:00 PM
  • OK Chris then you have a BTX chassis which is not widely used. BTX power supplies are not widely available. So I suggest getting a new chassis that is ATX with a 650W or better power supply which will better tolerate your load.

Good ATX chassis have a fan below the power supply to remove excess heat to relive the main power supply which can get excess heat which shortens its life.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:54 PM
  • im tending to agree with you code!

there are some other strange things going on with w7 that havent been resolved since the rc either (such as ie/ff hangups on certain sites) that can really eat away at the processor and ram. yea its unrelated, but there are some loops that dont seem to be closing properly, or something like that (im not a programmer)

i think ill play with some of the powersaving stuff w/i windows and on my mobo as well

i have:

HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725032VLA360 (0A33435) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM

Antec Signature SG-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular ... - Retail

XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard 3-Way SLI Support - Retail

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

along with a ton of usb devices including a new ati tv wonder 600 usb (dum dum dum <----- my culprit? maybe, i'll have to remove it and see), speakers, mouse, keyboard, external burner, phone charger, flash drive

everything is stock speed. im running the 195.62's atm on W7 x64 uiltimate, and i have a "PowerPC Processor" that needs a driver (gotta look into that; culprit? perhaps again). im also running riva tuner v2.24 w/ the gpu monitor 2.2 gadget thats tied into it.....man a lot of things to test for me and no time!

keep u all posted....and i should pull my card out and check it out too, i know i know!

i'll get back with you all after
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:09 PM
  • No, a clean install won't help, it exist on many different PC's with different OS. The problem is the nvidia portion, I bypassed the card and used the windows video driver and my machine worked a week with absolutely no problems. I reinstalled the invidia drivers and blammo, it locks up, randomly. Its not the machine or windows 7 or vista or XP, its all Nvidia'a problem, and they have to fix it, they haven't even acknowleged a problem so they are probably not even working on it as the website is only half functional which tells me they have real issues over there. I use mine for work and its costing us money. We all need to push nvidia, its there product that is the problem.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:20 PM
  • I have found the opposite. I did what you described and used the drivers Windows provides and got exactly the same results as with the latest release and beta nVidia drivers. TDR driver stalls every minute or so. If it were the case that this problem is purely nVidias, then how comes the same thing is occurring on ATI cards? I have been reading threads all over the web on this topic, and have heard of many cases where replacing with an ATI card and drivers has resulted in the exact same problem.

I understand your frustration, I feel it myself, I have a brand new 275 GTX sat on my desk here that I cannot use. However I am not convinced that the problem lies with nVidia alone.
    That said I would be happily proved wrong were a driver based fix to come out tomorrow :)
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Everyone here has many may answers.  And all might be good ones.  But I had this issue for about 3 crashes before I figured it out.  It's amazing how fast everyone blames Nvidia and Microsoft, when in reality, it is a hardware related issue.  It's thermal.  I have read this whole board and did not see this as being coined a viable solution, which is baffling as heat is an electronics worst enemy, so I figure some who are proficient in pc diagnosis would know to start small and work your way up.  Why jump to the worst case when it could be something as simple as cooling?

Here's what I have and did:

My PC

Thermaltake TR2 RX850 Power Supply
    ASUS M4N72-E Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
    8GB OCZ 1066 mem
    2,880GB worth of HDD's
    EVGA 9800GTX+ 512 Graphics
    Hauppague Tv Tuner (1800)
    Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum Fatality Champion Series
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Retail
    Several 120mm cooling fans
    2 Optical drives

Here's what I did

I got the same error message you all have gotten 3 times in a row.  I went into that little program you can get for overclocking the graphics, Precision, and turned the fan on the card up to 65 vs the usual 35 it always seems to stay at no matter the load.  Tahdah.  No more error msg.

I have my card overclocked as well to 808 core, 2004 shader, 1200 mem clock vs the stock settings for a gtx+.  I have been playing Far Cry 2 on max settings with a screen res of 1920x1080 for an average of 5-6 hours a night for 5 nights in a row with not one hiccup.  The GPU stays around 49C vs the 62C I was seeing at stock fan settings.  I also have the newest driver installed (195 I believe).  I noticed the heatwave as soon as I kicked that fan up.  I bet if I ran it at 80 I could run the clock speeds considerably higher as it did not change the temp with the small bump I gave it. 

The issue, IMO, is it's a thermal issue, just like most other problems with the wonderful world of computing can be traced back to.  It is not ASUS, Microsoft, Nvidia ect....  It's just heat.  Welcome to the world of faster computing.:)

P.S.

Should I run into this msg again, and it turns out I'm wrong, I will post again.  I'm pretty sure I've nailed it tho.  And if you bought a card with blown caps, well, I wouldn't buy from that vendor again.....hehe.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:32 AM
  • It could very well be thermal in your case, and I believe it has been in other peoples (see http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=155752 theres a handful in this thread), however, I don't think it totally explains everyone's problem. My problem appears to surface irrespective of heat. I have a fairly well-ventilated large and clean case (I don't have the temps to post right now, but I just installed CPUID's HWMonitor (awesome program) to do some looking into this as well. I've setup rivatuner to increase fan speads up to 100% depending on temps, and even (b/c of a misentry in my setup) when the fan kicked down to normal speeds during 3D rendering and the gpu jumped up to around 100 C, I didnt receive any glitches. After coming back from sleep, however, sitting at a steady 60-63 C in a regular windows environment, I receive the driver crashing errors. This isn't to say heat doesn't play a role, or didn't especially in your case, I don't think it is the major factor behind all these crashes (they're happening in water-cooled systems as well).

Hoping for a speedy resolutions for everyone,
    -Chris
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:03 PM
  • It could be other issues for some, yes I agree.  But I don't think a quick spike will affect it, but more a sustained running at the 60-63 C is whats at issue.  That's the temps I was seeing when having the issue.  Maybe there's a timer of sorts written in to the driver or firmware that causes the GPU to momentarily cut out to prevent damage or something.  63C is over 145 degrees f, my CPU don't even run that hot.  If it did, it wouldn't last very long. 

You don't want to hear my opinion on water cooling.  I have yet to see a water cooled system that was of any great benefit over a good heat sink.  I seen one system fry after installing a water cooler....boy was he pissed....  I guess some have seen good from it, but in the several I know of, all hated it and went with a good heat pipe setup.  I don't know how well good case ventilation plays in with the modern cards, as they are usually encased themselves.  You do need good case ventilation, yes, but the video card has a case too....hehe.  If ya ain't tried stressing it with the fans kicked up for any extended period of time, I would suggest to all to try this.  It did indeed work in my case. 

I do hope that this does get resolved for those who are experiencing the issue beyond what I have found.

P.S.

I did try the overclock at higher speeds and ran smooth in Far Cry 2 (just happens to be the game I'm on right now....I'll try Crysis another time) today for 4 hours with these numbers: 864 core, 2173 shader, 1200 mem clock, fan speed 90.  Brought my Windows Aero index up to 7.4....on both.....nice.:)  The 9800gtx+ is bulletproof IMO.  I need a second now.......
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Dont know if this helps, but I reciently downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia, and still getting crashes, has nothing to do with over heating, I watched temps before during and after crashes and temps were in safe range.  the last time it crashed I got a windows memory error, saying that the 6gb or ram I have was all used up... driver attempted to recover but computer went flakey after that... problem might be a memory leak of some type.

Hope this info helps solve the issue.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Dont know if this helps, but I reciently downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia, and still getting crashes, has nothing to do with over heating, I watched temps before during and after crashes and temps were in safe range.  the last time it crashed I got a windows memory error, saying that the 6gb or ram I have was all used up... driver attempted to recover but computer went flakey after that... problem might be a memory leak of some type.

Hope this info helps solve the issue.

hi ,

regular or beta drivers ?

go to nvidia support

http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html 

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
  • regular drivers
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:03 PM
  • hi ,

NOTE , (in general) please update your drivers . , most people simply forget this , you can also flag beta drivers > control panel (nvidia) > update your system drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/PreScan.aspx?lang=en-us

the support section

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
    I think most people having this problem tried updating their drivers many times already and tried many different versions.
    I'm 90% sure that this is a compatibility issue between Nvidia and Windows 7.

I fixed this by uninstalling Windows 7 64-bit and installing Windows 7 32-bit.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:07 PM
  • hi ,

NOTE , (in general) please update your drivers . , most people simply forget this , you can also flag beta drivers > control panel (nvidia) > update your system drivers

the support section

have a nice day
    I think most people having this problem tried updating their drivers many times already and tried many different versions.
    I'm 90% sure that this is a compatibility issue between Nvidia and Windows 7.

I fixed this by uninstalling Windows 7 64-bit and installing Windows 7 32-bit.

hi ,

if people install the wrong drivers or use beta drivers when they should not , ...

the best is to open the nvidia software on your system and clcik update , that will lead to the correct version or the scan above

some manuf like dell and coNpaq have modified drivers that are needed , so be carefull with the graphics drivers , ...

the best is to contact nvidia fro support regarding their drivers (!)

have a nice day
  • In response to the above: I can't speak for anyone else but I have most certainly used the correct versions of drivers for my card, and I have tried the last 3 versions released (inc betas.) Each time I removed them I used driver sweeper in safe mode to ensure that the drivers were correctly removed before reinstalling.

Contacting nVidia has had no positive results. Their official line is that the issue is either faulty hardware or Windows 7 TDR service.

I've gone back to using my 7800GT card in place of my 275GTX. With the GTX the problem occurs every 2-3 mins. With the 7800 I managed to play Left 4 Dead 2 all afternoon with only a couple of kernel mode driver errors.

In response to some comments further up the thread about this issue being thermal, GPU-z reports both my cards were running around 45-50 degrees C under load. As far as I am aware this is a perfectly acceptable temperature for a GPU to be running at. However if I am mistaken please post up and let me know :)

Cheers
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:53 AM
  • In response to the above: I can't speak for anyone else but I have most certainly used the correct versions of drivers for my card, and I have tried the last 3 versions released (inc betas.) Each time I removed them I used driver sweeper in safe mode to ensure that the drivers were correctly removed before reinstalling.

Contacting nVidia has had no positive results. Their official line is that the issue is either faulty hardware or Windows 7 TDR service.

I've gone back to using my 7800GT card in place of my 275GTX. With the GTX the problem occurs every 2-3 mins. With the 7800 I managed to play Left 4 Dead 2 all afternoon with only a couple of kernel mode driver errors.

In response to some comments further up the thread about this issue being thermal, GPU-z reports both my cards were running around 45-50 degrees C under load. As far as I am aware this is a perfectly acceptable temperature for a GPU to be running at. However if I am mistaken please post up and let me know :)

Cheers

hi ,

nvidia should help you , .... insist , and ask the mail of the shift supervisor who is on duty or get a chat (!!)

i prefer to let Fujitsu sort it out for me , they build the comp , they fix it and nvidia does listen to them ,.... then they post the drivers on the website , ...

or check your warranty maybe , ...

have a nice day
  • Seems that the driver problems are not specific to any particular card from NVIDIA, so I am using ATI until further notice.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Seems that the driver problems are not specific to any particular card from NVIDIA, so I am using ATI until further notice.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site

hi ,

good luck with that one , ... brrrr the shakes run down my back when i hear that one , ...

some of the problems are related to the cards , and you would be surprised as how many people install the wrong drivers , ... (!)

http://www.drivermagician.com/ it has a nice tool to check for NV drivers , make sure you update the tool before you check or play with it

have a nice day
  • Want a slightly used 8600GT, only 3 bad caps, will not work with any drivers, but does with none. used to be fine until Late November when one after the other cap blew up.

Over on the NVIDIA forum they have blocked at least 2 threads on dead cards. Microsoft does not care if someone has a problem, at least I respect Microsoft as they will listen.

The comments in the misc forum are an example, good, bad, ugly, everyone is allowed his say.

Monday, January 25, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Well,

Like a couple of us agreed before, it could very well be other issues with other folks.  I know in my sitch, I simply turned the fan up and ran fine, and has even since my original response.  I was able to reproduce the crash by overclocking the card beyond reasonable speeds, and mismatched speeds, but as far as what I posted for an overclock before, it still runs rock solid in Far Cry 2 on MAX settings with 1920x1080 pushing a 47in LCD television via DVI-to-HDMI.  I run a single EVGA 9800 GTX+ so....

It could be a driver issue.  It could be a hardware issue.  It could be any number of things.  With running my Win 7 Ultimate x64 and no issues, I can't see it as a compatibility issue.  There are plenty of folks that have no issues at all. 
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:35 AM
  • I have had the same hardware conf for 2 years now running winXP x32, and NO problems! -just inst. the win7 x64 and the famous msg appears and I get bluescreen....!
    All drivers ofcourse uptodate. therefore, I cannot believe its only heating that caurses the msg and the crash.

(My sys: MacBook Pro(late2007) 2.4core2duo, 4gb ram, nvidia 8600M GT ) Same hardware, same software. ex: crahes when opening 3dsmax2010.

-havnt tried the solutions posted in thread yet.....

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:51 PM
  • There is new driver for Windows 7 out today. Go get it while you can.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:12 PM
  • There is new driver for Windows 7 out today. Go get it while you can.

hi ,

servers are slow , wait a day , people are overloading , ...

its true that nvidia is hard to deal with , fujitsu has given a warning about it before , ... they install oem with problems , but at least nvidia has posted the correct drivers on the fujitsu forums , ... well they had a gun so to speak against their head , ... (grin)

have a nice day
  • i installed 196.21 the other day to no avail, however, I just reinstalled my nforce drivers with the 15.51's and so far so good. I can come out of sleep without getting the driver crashes. keep yall posted!
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Just one other thing to note....

When everyone is installing their drivers in Windows 7 x64, are you right clicking the installer package and selecting "run as administrator"?  This has been something you have to do most times since Vista.  Some installations won't take properly if you don't do that.  Same goes for any software.  There could be that the lack of issue with XP is that Vista and 7 have a different structure than the old OS's did.  Your main account is not really full admin.  That's where them annoying security alerts come in.  So if you install with just your account credentials, it may not take properly, which will cause failures and other headaches.  I ALWAYS right click and run as admin to install anything.  I got into the habit with Vista.

I'm glad to hear your Forceware install might have helped your issue.  That's what triggered my thoughts on my new suggestion.  I currently don't think I have any of my chipset drivers installed.  I think last time I installed, it created headaches elsewhere (ie. changed my HDD controller drivers from the AHCI I have set up to IDE Legacy; Slowed my USB speeds down...)  There are so many setups that are described and affected that any 1 solution may not exist.  It seems more a trial and error kind of thing.  Tinker till ya get it.

I too will continue to monitor this post and add any other suggestions I may come across.  Maybe if this post gets long enough....someone will take notice. 
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:36 AM
  • Just one other thing to note....

When everyone is installing their drivers in Windows 7 x64, are you right clicking the installer package and selecting "run as administrator"?  This has been something you have to do most times since Vista.  Some installations won't take properly if you don't do that.  Same goes for any software.  There could be that the lack of issue with XP is that Vista and 7 have a different structure than the old OS's did.  Your main account is not really full admin.  That's where them annoying security alerts come in.  So if you install with just your account credentials, it may not take properly, which will cause failures and other headaches.  I ALWAYS right click and run as admin to install anything.  I got into the habit with Vista.

I'm glad to hear your Forceware install might have helped your issue.  That's what triggered my thoughts on my new suggestion.  I currently don't think I have any of my chipset drivers installed.  I think last time I installed, it created headaches elsewhere (ie. changed my HDD controller drivers from the AHCI I have set up to IDE Legacy; Slowed my USB speeds down...)  There are so many setups that are described and affected that any 1 solution may not exist.  It seems more a trial and error kind of thing.  Tinker till ya get it.

I too will continue to monitor this post and add any other suggestions I may come across.  Maybe if this post gets long enough....someone will take notice. 

hi ,

i dont know what you do , but run as admin is not needed on most comps , download , click install and thats it , it should auto go to its set up screen

have a nice day
  • i installed 196.21 the other day to no avail, however, I just reinstalled my nforce drivers with the 15.51's and so far so good. I can come out of sleep without getting the driver crashes. keep yall posted!

hi ,

you can roll back or use the new beta driver that came out now (!) its rather stable ,

use this link to check what you need http://www.nvidia.com/Download/PreScan.aspx?lang=en-us

have a nice day
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:51 PM
  • You are right.  You don't NEED to do it that way, but a lot of issues will arise with a lot of software if you don't.  I was simply suggesting another step in the troubleshooting.  You can read all about how they changed the user accounts in Vista/7.  The only time you are truly running as Administrator is when you are in Safe Mode/Administrator.  This is why you should just do the simple right click and "run as administrator", because then it is installing under those privileges.  It's doing the same thing if you've ever seen the "This program may not have installed correctly" and it gives you the 2 options.  If you select "Install with recommended settings" button, it sets it up to "run as administrator" and retry the install.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:36 AM
  • You are right.  You don't NEED to do it that way, but a lot of issues will arise with a lot of software if you don't.  I was simply suggesting another step in the troubleshooting.  You can read all about how they changed the user accounts in Vista/7.  The only time you are truly running as Administrator is when you are in Safe Mode/Administrator.  This is why you should just do the simple right click and "run as administrator", because then it is installing under those privileges.  It's doing the same thing if you've ever seen the "This program may not have installed correctly" and it gives you the 2 options.  If you select "Install with recommended settings" button, it sets it up to "run as administrator" and retry the install.

hi ,

if you want to speed up your comp a bit you as a user should be the admin , ... unless there is high risk of security involved (!)

nvid changed the downloads now so that they will run on any user on the comp , ... btw you can set it up so that all will be run as admin without full admin account

have a nice day
  • You can move the slider to Never Notify, but ALL user accounts set up on Windows Vista/7 are Standard User Accounts.  This cannot be changed.  It is built this way to protect your system from unauthorized changes.  By shutting off the UAC, you simply remove the notifications (Vista) or it gets set to Auto-execute for everything (7).  You are still a Standard User Account environment.  Windows XP utilized a true Administrator account, and software vendors wrote software to only execute on administrator accounts.  The move to UAC in Vista/7 is to push for software vendors to write programs that execute with less privileges, as well as provide increased protection from any malware executing itself on your system without authorization.

Read all about UAC here at Microsoft Technet:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.uac.aspx?rss_fdn=TNTopNewInfo

Yes, I'm sure Nvidia has written their installer package to execute in the reduced privilege environment, but to ensure it goes, you should still execute the installation with Administrative Permissions.

Not only this, but my suggestion also applies to anyone else who maybe has less technical know-how or experience in these matters.
    • Proposed as answer by Dabur972 Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:42 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:25 PM
  • So I think my problem has been solved by the new geforce driver release. I installed 196.21 on Friday morning and I've not had a single instance of the problem since then, despite playing Guildwars, Left 4 Dead 2, and using Ableton live all weekend. Fingers crossed that's it gone for good.

I have to say that since I've done nothing else other than update my drivers to the latest release, it does now appear to me to be a driver issue. My confidence in nvidia has taken a bit of a knock since their line was that it was a windows problem. My experience suggests otherwise. 

Good luck to anyone else still having this problem.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 11:26 AM
  • So I think my problem has been solved by the new geforce driver release. I installed 196.21 on Friday morning and I've not had a single instance of the problem since then, despite playing Guildwars, Left 4 Dead 2, and using Ableton live all weekend. Fingers crossed that's it gone for good.

I have to say that since I've done nothing else other than update my drivers to the latest release, it does now appear to me to be a driver issue. My confidence in nvidia has taken a bit of a knock since their line was that it was a windows problem. My experience suggests otherwise. 

Good luck to anyone else still having this problem.

hi ,

back up anyway , you never know , by the way , increase your page file , that never hurts to speed up the comp in general , and check your settings in nvidia (!!)

those settings can be a whole lot of diff for the card and the comp (!!)

click the link ' onecare scanner ' below in my signature , unflag virus scan and see what the rest will fix , ...

i know that support is going backwards for nvidia , to many people have to much problems with the support staff , something has to be done or they will loose customers , including
    some of the worlds biggest oem builders , ....

make sure you check like every week for new drivers , or use something like driver magician or software explorer to stay on top of last versions

have a nice sunday
  • Here goes ive had this problems for almost over a year starting with vista my computer was running fine

Old specs
    Mobo: p5n32-e sli
    cpu E6850
    Ram: corsair ddr2 800 2gb
    Gpu: 8800GTX sli (watercooled)
    psu: Thermaltake 750w

with this system everything was fine until i installed new ram some geil blackdragon
    after this i started getting errors none stop so i swapped my old ram back in nothing changed
    i kept using this system for over half a year with this issue after that i thought time to upgrade
    so i trashed everything but the PSU and the geil ram

New specs
    Mobo Gigabyte ga-ep45-Extreme
    cpu Q9650
    ram Geil Blackdragon 4x2gb (ram that was used during first crash)
    Gpu BFG GTX285ocx
    Psu Thermaltake 750w (same Psu)
    os W7ult 64bit

Im still getting these issues sofar i know for sure its not driver for myself
    its either the ram or the psu ive tried running games using my old corsair
    but my pc tends to eat that ram upto 90%-100% when ever im playing a game
    when i did get into the game tho i kept getting these spikes but no crashes
    i need to swap out the psu and give it a try and hope for the best i think.

Any ideas or thoughts ? any will do im tierd of this ____ already
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Here goes ive had this problems for almost over a year starting with vista my computer was running fine

Old specs
    cpu E6850

with this system everything was fine until i installed new ram some geil blackdragon
    after this i started getting errors none stop so i swapped my old ram back in nothing changed
    i kept using this system for over half a year with this issue after that i thought time to upgrade

New specs
    cpu Q9650
    Gpu BFG GTX285ocx
    os W7ult 64bit

Make a new thread with your issue.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:16 AM

Old specs
    cpu E6850

New specs
    cpu Q9650
    Gpu BFG GTX285ocx
    os W7ult 64bit

hi ,

like vegan wrote , make a new thread , memory like that could indicate a bug or virus , ....

have a nice day
  • Guys,

So glad I cam across this. I have been having this problem for the last two weeks ever since I installed win 7(32 bit) and nvidia geforce 8400 GS. It mostly happened when I windows media player was running. But could be anything. Have the latest driver installed version 196.21. Today, while working on a word document, black screen flashes and that f-ing display error popped up again. Somebody please help, I am a total newb.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Guys,

So glad I cam across this. I have been having this problem for the last two weeks ever since I installed win 7(32 bit) and nvidia geforce 8400 GS. It mostly happened when I windows media player was running. But could be anything. Have the latest driver installed version 196.21. Today, while working on a word document, black screen flashes and that f-ing display error popped up again. Somebody please help, I am a total newb.

hi ,

contact nvid support , link above , roll back your driver , it might be of help , make sure you are updated on windows and on whatever software your screen needs (!!)

you can set word to auto save btw

have a nice day
  • Guys,

Word and Excel have autosave features so do not worry too much.

It appears that GeForce 8 series cards are a bit dodgy. My own 8600GT croaked in December, see my site for details.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:01 AM
  • I'm really tired and frustrated about this problem, it's several months since this was discovered and microsoft, neither nvidia presented a solution. It's ridiculous, I never had a any problems like that with my MAC and don't know about anyone that had. I'll wait two more months and if nothing's done I'll buy a new MAC and treat this PC from microsoft and nvidia the way it needs to be treated, like a trash.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:33 PM
  • I'm really tired and frustrated about this problem, it's several months since this was discovered and microsoft, neither nvidia presented a solution. It's ridiculous, I never had a any problems like that with my MAC and don't know about anyone that had. I'll wait two more months and if nothing's done I'll buy a new MAC and treat this PC from microsoft and nvidia the way it needs to be treated, like a trash.

hi ,

what problem are you talking about ???

have a nice day
  • I have had pretty much the same issue with my nvidia display driver stop responding an recovers fairly quick i have a gateway P-7908u FX Edition nvidia geforce gtx 260m graphics card i have updated rolled back updated an searched for hrs on this issue an still nothing mine only seems to stop responding while i am playing wow... I have contacted gateway as well an they say its an issue with my game an blizzard says its an compatibility issue win7 64bit an the nvidia graphics card so i am really confused as to whats wrong i have tested my ram an checked the temp on my nvidia card an everything seems to check out but the fact that the driver keeps crashing has me at a loss i also have a problem with it freezing for a few secs an that happens quite a bit while playing can someone plz help i have no idea what to do with this issue since i have 2 companies telling me that it is the others fault
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:24 PM
  • I just want everyone to know, there is no real answer or solution to this problem.  THERE ARE SEVERAL THINGS THAT COULD BE A FACTOR HERE. 
    Here's how I know this.  I have swapped video cards, tried AMD and Nvidia 2 different models each. I have tried 4 different brands for power supplies.  I have tried two different motherboards. Two different types of ram. I did this on Win7 x84 (32bit) and Win7 x64 (64 bit). I have tried 3 different monitors. The only thing I have not swapped is my CPU and Case. I have put these elements into other working pcs and tested the equipment with no problems. I honestly don't get this.

I cant remember all the exact models that i tested for this (if you really wanted to kow this, I could try to look up my receipts), but it is an odd fluke.  I have been dealing with this for over a year. It happens to all games with any type of DirectX usage. Because of the flashy interface with Vista and Win7 it happens to that as well. I have tested voltage and watts which ALMOST SEEMS like the culprit, but not certain, it would appear there was a weird short or glitch when these devices are initiated. (If i had money i would check the current on my CPU). Because I noticed when i unplugged my fans + lights, it took longer for this problem to occur.

I will say this, It happens mainly when the screen is switched between applications. I can only load a game or flashy program , like adobe premiere, once. It even happens when you are watching a video or movie. Then if I try to reload the application or "TAB" out it does everything that everyone here has described; pixels everywhere, BSOD, driver recovered, system lockup, instant crash, etc. I wish I had a better answer to this, but I wanted to post this hoping ONE DAY, there may be an actual fix!

It seems like a lot of mis-matched driver issues with Win7, but obviously some people don't have this problem.

Here is what I am currently running (since I just finally gave up).
    APEVIA X-SNIPER G-Type X-SNIPERG-AL Black / Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ~ 2.4
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
    OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
    EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
    Win7 Ultimate x84

Any questions?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:49 PM
  • I just want everyone to know, there is no real answer or solution to this problem.  THERE ARE SEVERAL THINGS THAT COULD BE A FACTOR HERE. 
    Here's how I know this.  I have swapped video cards, tried AMD and Nvidia 2 different models each. I have tried 4 different brands for power supplies.  I have tried two different motherboards. Two different types of ram. I did this on Win7 x84 (32bit) and Win7 x64 (64 bit). I have tried 3 different monitors. The only thing I have not swapped is my CPU and Case. I have put these elements into other working pcs and tested the equipment with no problems. I honestly don't get this.

I cant remember all the exact models that i tested for this (if you really wanted to kow this, I could try to look up my receipts), but it is an odd fluke.  I have been dealing with this for over a year. It happens to all games with any type of DirectX usage. Because of the flashy interface with Vista and Win7 it happens to that as well. I have tested voltage and watts which ALMOST SEEMS like the culprit, but not certain, it would appear there was a weird short or glitch when these devices are initiated. (If i had money i would check the current on my CPU). Because I noticed when i unplugged my fans + lights, it took longer for this problem to occur.

I will say this, It happens mainly when the screen is switched between applications. I can only load a game or flashy program , like adobe premiere, once. It even happens when you are watching a video or movie. Then if I try to reload the application or "TAB" out it does everything that everyone here has described; pixels everywhere, BSOD, driver recovered, system lockup, instant crash, etc. I wish I had a better answer to this, but I wanted to post this hoping ONE DAY, there may be an actual fix!

It seems like a lot of mis-matched driver issues with Win7, but obviously some people don't have this problem.

Here is what I am currently running (since I just finally gave up).
    APEVIA X-SNIPER G-Type X-SNIPERG-AL Black / Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ~ 2.4
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
    OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
    EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
    Win7 Ultimate x84

Any questions?

hi ,

version of the nvid soft ?

ever tried a full reinstall ? updated bios ?

i have only 3 out of 238 comps who had problems with the last nvid release 196 , rolled back the driver and it was fine , curious enough two of those work on the beta 195 , ....

i suspect in some cases rootkits , trojans , software from screens and most important pieces missing from the download , it happens .

now the most of the problems i have found ( had 2 today from a co worker ) are simply two main things , A not following the update procedure (!!) and B security software that stoppen parts of installing and pieces of the download not being installed , found it in the temp folder on the comp but mcafee would not allow for a strange reason to let a subfolder be installed , shutting mcafee off and preventing it from runnning at boot fixed it , after the install and the 3 needed reboots mcafee had no problem with it , ....  * sigh *

an other problem is sometimes the download source , or faulty drivers true third party downloads that go online and find all your drivers , ....

since every case is different i advice not only in your case but in all to contact nvid support if you can , even the same OS can interreact differently on a second comp

have a nice day

PS two different types of ram can cause troubles , not saying it is in this case but it can cause problems
  • Yes, I have done clean re-installs and updated the bios. I have not installed anything other than the OS, drivers and a game for test purposes. I have tried drivers from NVIDIA ranging from 185.85 - 191.07. I have downloaded from EVGA and Nvidia. And just to clarify with the memory, when I said two types, I meant two differnet brands. What I have in now is identical 2x2gb. 
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:37 AM
  • There are newer drivers out, try one of them. If that fails, try another video card.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:47 AM
  • I have Win 7 64 bit that had 3- gt 220 invidia graphics cards because i kept getting the error that the kernal mode driver had failed. Dell said to me that the card had a known problem and put in a 240 and now it is fine.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Yes, I have done clean re-installs and updated the bios. I have not installed anything other than the OS, drivers and a game for test purposes. I have tried drivers from NVIDIA ranging from 185.85 - 191.07. I have downloaded from EVGA and Nvidia. And just to clarify with the memory, when I said two types, I meant two differnet brands. What I have in now is identical 2x2gb. 

hi ,

i cant say i enough , only get drivers from nvid !! driver magician looks for the drivers also , as a third party they are one of the few good one out there

the memory can cause problems , i jnow for a fact that kingston and samsung give problems , corsair can only be used with corsair , and so on , ...

i could be you have a bug or virus hiding in the memory , ..... tried a good anti virus and anti malware product ???

191 was a while ago , try anything near 195 , use this sitye for the updates , close all other programs when installing and follow instructions , close all anti virus like norton and mcafee when installing , ...

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

have a nice day
  • I have Win 7 64 bit that had 3- gt 220 invidia graphics cards because i kept getting the error that the kernal mode driver had failed. Dell said to me that the card had a known problem and put in a 240 and now it is fine.
    Gateway isnt as nice they say that it is my game causing the crashes so i have now played a total of 8 different games on here and it still crashes..do they really think that im just gonna buy the fact that there is an issue with all 8 games.. i have also restored my laptop back to it factory setting buy reinstalling windows an the issue is still there...everything seems to be fine except that and i can tell when its crashing before it does because it sounds like a cd skipping then i get the blah blah has stopped responding is that a sign of another issue or the same??????

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53G
    Screen 17" WXGA+
    Memory Size 4GB DDR3
    Hard Disk 500GB
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
    Video Memory 1GB GDDR3

CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
    CPU Speed P8700(2.53GHz)
    CPU FSB 1066MHz
    CPU L2 Cache 3MB
    GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
    Video Memory 1GB GDDR3
    Graphic Type Dedicated Card
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Just thought I'd chip in again. Contrary to my previous post a few weeks ago, the new nvidia drivers have not fixed my problem, it came back again a week or so later complete with blue screen system reboots. I didn't notice sooner because I swapped from playing Guild wars to Left for Dead, where it occurs only vary rarely. However as soon as I load up Guildwars it will happen 2-3 times a minute resulting in a BSOD.

I have now found a way to (seemingly) fix the problem, however its a horrible fix ...

Using evga precision, I underclock my GTX 275 by around 5% or so from the stock settings, reducing the core, shader and memory clocks. This immediately stopped the errors while playing Guildwars and I ran it for 12+ hours yesterday with no problems.

Not an ideal fix though is it :(
    • Proposed as answer by gnida Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:52 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:04 AM
  • That probably means the manufacturer cranked it up too much.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Just thought I'd chip in again. Contrary to my previous post a few weeks ago, the new nvidia drivers have not fixed my problem, it came back again a week or so later complete with blue screen system reboots. I didn't notice sooner because I swapped from playing Guild wars to Left for Dead, where it occurs only vary rarely. However as soon as I load up Guildwars it will happen 2-3 times a minute resulting in a BSOD.

I have now found a way to (seemingly) fix the problem, however its a horrible fix ...

Using evga precision, I underclock my GTX 275 by around 5% or so from the stock settings, reducing the core, shader and memory clocks. This immediately stopped the errors while playing Guildwars and I ran it for 12+ hours yesterday with no problems.

hi ,

in many online multiplayers i have noticed a few things , increase cache and pagefile , make sure you still have anti virus and anti malware but in a fast way so you can still play , ... in regards to BSOD , what are the numbers ? sned the file to Micrsosft for more in detail and deep analysis (!!)

you should not underclock , take your lessons learned the hard way for when you next time buy a new comp (!) memory is cheap so get more , but see what else can be a cause , sometimes it can be something unrelated with graphics that is at the cause of the problems , ....

and dont take no as the answer if support gives you the door the first time ! try again

have a nice day
  • That is why I keep security on my front page.
    Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:53 PM
  • I have had the same issue on a Dell machine running a pair of NVidia Quadro NVS 290.  Updating to the newer driver caused the driver crashes I would get a few times a day to actually blue screen.  I rolled back and just dealt with the crashes.  On a whim, I disabled Aero and haven't had a problem since.  I only do development on this machine, so your mileage may vary.  Having to disable the cool new visual effects of Windows 7 does seem stupid though.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 11:56 PM
  • Try using one of the cards at a time and see if that helps.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:52 AM
  • I have had the same issue on a Dell machine running a pair of NVidia Quadro NVS 290.  Updating to the newer driver caused the driver crashes I would get a few times a day to actually blue screen.  I rolled back and just dealt with the crashes.  On a whim, I disabled Aero and haven't had a problem since.  I only do development on this machine, so your mileage may vary.  Having to disable the cool new visual effects of Windows 7 does seem stupid though.

hi ,

carefull , with dell you have to check with dell , they modify loads of the OS and third party drivers , so check with them first in regards to updates and support (!!)

have a nice day

THAT WORK PERFECT !!!! Maybe I downclock me graphics card but I lose only 2 FPS and ALL GAME WORK PERFECT !

THANKS MAN !!!

• Proposed as answer by Pee-Dee Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:54 PM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I have been dealing with this issue for a long time but after I installed drivers 197.13, I have had none-0, zilch, nada problems. I spent all night reinstalling all my old favorites which were gatering dust, Bioshock, Crysis, The Orange Box games, World in Conflict. Most with maxed out settings.  After months of throwing fans, memory sticks at this problem a driver update has solved this problem. I only had to wait half a year for it!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Glad to see you found a solution. Many with the NVIDIA cards have seen their video card fail due to dodgy drivers.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe My server croaked, need a new one, been out of work for over 18 months.
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Ok, i had this issue and serched 2 weeks trying to resolve it. I tried different cards, different OS's and versions (x86 and x64) new mobo, new PSU, memory you name it, nothing fixed it. BUT guess what, I have the solution and it fixed my system. Vista and Win7 use a feature called TDR. TDR baically gives your GPU 2 seconds to process what it is doin and display it on your monitor. If it fails to do so in 2 secondsyou get the cool flash on the screen and the dreaded error message. Heres how to correc the false positive....

1. Open REGEDIT

2. Using Windows 7, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers

3. Once there you will most likely have to create a new DWORD (32bit users) or QWORD (64bit users). Name it TdrDelay.

4. Once created, change the value to 8. This will allow the GPU 8 seconds to respond instead of 2 seconds.

I did this myself, and now im back up and running at full speed. I can watch my movies and play all my games again! Cheers!

-Tergazzi

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:58 AM
  • FIXED !!!!Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version stopped responding and has successfully recovered :)

I am using Win7 64bit and a Geforce 9600GT..

Go to bios / set cpu hz. mine was 200 hz / set to 180 hz / save exit.

Worked for me no more ! Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version stopped responding and has successfully recovered !

Had this problem over 2 years ( daw2 , aoc, coh and so on )

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version stopped responding and has successfully recovered

i went to bios and set cpu from 200 hz to 180 and never got the error again :)
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version stopped responding and has successfully recovered

i went to bios and set cpu from 200 hz to 180 and never got the error again :)
    • Proposed as answer by Superkikim Saturday, May 08, 2010 7:57 PM
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:37 PM
  • This all seems wrong ... I mean...

Ok, let's go to the bios change the damn speed (by the way, what is this speed about ???) or edit the registry to add more delay... But...

I'm running Windows 7 x64 since many months now and never had a problem. It all started some days ago... Could it be related to a windows patch ? rather than an Nvidia driver issue ???

Saturday, May 08, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Hello guys,

I will say, that from all my own tinkering I have come up with a similar conclusion as being hinted at several times here.  I just recently upgraded to an EVGA GTX 480, and same as with my EVGA 9800 GTX+, when overclocked, is the only time I see this error.  I had gotten it when I went a bit too far testing my card in the same way it happened on the old card.  As most should know, the 9800 GTX+ is just a respin of the same GPU that is on the "dodgy" 8800 series (a die shrink as well), so it's not that that GPU is bad, I believe it to be an unstable clocking of the card itself, whether the core, shader, memory, whichever it may be.   Also, a tiny little voltage spike due to a failing transistor, resistor or capacitor will cause instability and a driver error.

Like stated above, there is no single solution to this issue.  If you have a factory clocked card and have not altered the clocks, then I would assume that there may very well be a bad component on that card itself causing instability.  Keep in mind, most of the cards mentioned are the first attempt at designing a card to work efficiently in Vista/7 (both x86 and x64), and the new windows operating system core code is quite different from XP.  The video market is not the only thing to suffer.  I also run a Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality and the audio drivers for that are crappy and have not been updated for almost a year (I assume Creative don't care about their customer base as my repeated attempts to work with them on a solution have ended with them eventually stopping communication....).  Almost every component in a system running the new Windows OS's will have issues until it gets nailed down.  Took a long time for XP to be functional. 

Compatibility is a big issue with anything new, and until the engineers get everything situated, you will have one issue or another.  Changing your core clock on your CPU/GPU may yield a result, but that's not the desired result because you are hurting your performance in everything vs. finding a REAL solution to your issue.  With my new GTX 480, I can run for hours and hours and hours without a single glitch, hiccup or driver error, but this card was designed with the new Windows in mind.  The only change is removing the old card and installing the new card/driver.  I also saw no more errors with my 9800 GTX+ since my last post here until a a week ago when I switched, and all I had to do there was use EVGA Precision and turn the cooling fan up while I played and wallah, no more driver crash. 

I would see reducing performance as counterproductive as the whole point in owning the parts listed here is for their performance.  You are only hurting your performance by reducing things.  If you are already overclocked, then by all means, back her off a few notches, but not from stock.  There's something else at play then.  One other thing to note, some of the hardware listed here having the issue, and not to knock anyone, but I tell my dad and uncle all the time, that stuff was never meant to run the new operating systems.  Is old hardware.  Sure, it may "work" in a sense, but the errors you are getting is telling you one thing, time to upgrade to new hardware.  Is a fact of modern computing.  If you want a smooth ship, you need to stay current in everything, hardware and software.  If your machine shipped with XP, stay with XP.  If it shipped with vista, go ahead and try 7 as the specs for both are very similar.  But the 8800 GT is a 4 year old GPU. I would say that if you are running anything under a GTS 250 (9800 GTX+ reissue), then be ready for issues.  If your motherboard and all the rest of your system is older then say 3-4 years, you will have issues.  Is a sad but true fact, the software vendors intentionally write drivers/programs so your old hardware WON'T function properly to force you to upgrade. 

On a side note,

Something to keep in mind, for them who buy pre-made machines from Dell, HP, whatever the case may be, unless you specifically chose the hardware it was to be assembled with, you got a machine that has the cheapest parts imaginable used in its manufacture and sold for the highest profit.  E-machines is by far the WORST machine to buy.  All it takes is 1 bad capacitor anywhere in the machine, 1 little failing heat sink or transistor and you will have driver and software/hardware issues up the yin-yang.  The only real way to guarantee a good machine is to do the research and build it yourself from scratch.  If you don't have the know how, there are plenty of us tech geeks out there who may even be one of your friends, who does have the know how and would love to help you by building you a kick butt machine.

L.

Saturday, May 08, 2010 9:32 PM
  • This all seems wrong ... I mean...

Ok, let's go to the bios change the damn speed (by the way, what is this speed about ???) or edit the registry to add more delay... But...

I'm running Windows 7 x64 since many months now and never had a problem. It all started some days ago... Could it be related to a windows patch ? rather than an Nvidia driver issue ???

In all reality, there is such a wide variety of things that may cause the issue you are having. for some people different things will correct it. I honestly do not view underclocking anything as a fix, cause thats just pointless to me, i buy something fast, to have it run fast, if i wanted a slower card or cpu, i will buy a lesser model. All these little fixes you read here are just basically little fixes you can try. I had this issue with a 9400GT i was running, i figured out the TDR Delay, which fixed the issue for normal use, but i still ran into the problem when running intense games. I have since bought a new card, a GT240, and havent had the issue since. So it my case i believe it truley was just a failing card.
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:27 AM
  • I have received several sick NVIDIA cards of late and when they start exhibiting kernel mode errors it tells me the card is failing.

I have been able to fix my own 8600 GT by replacing 3 capacitors in the regulator circuit.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Yeh got the same problem with Win 7 (32 Bit)...wondering if anyone has removed their NVIDIA card and installed a recent ATI video card?
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Hi

I have a recent NVIDIA card. Do you think the realtek download will help?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Yeh got the same problem with Win 7 (32 Bit)...wondering if anyone has removed their NVIDIA card and installed a recent ATI video card?

I have an ATI HD 2400 and an NVIDIA 8600 GT. The 8600 GT failed last winter due to dodgy drivers, I replaced 3 capacitors and the card is back in business.

I suspect that you card is also in need of repair, but  I can tell you the cost of repair will exceed the card's value if you get someone else to fix it.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:10 PM
  • So. I had windows xp for the longest time. Decided to update to windows 7 recently, went to Home Basic. INstalled fine, used for a month. Started my computer one day and started receiving this error. Nvidia kernel mode etc etc... So, i updated drivers, rolled back drivers, uninstalled drivers, tried installing the standard vga compatible, windows 7 wouldnt allow me too. Then! said the ____ with 7, went to vista. Problem occured STILL. Said ____ with vista, went back to xp and the problem is occuring in xp also, but it will jus flicker and freeze and restart. So im baffled you know, Like 3 diff OS, Diff drivers. Same problem? This problem never happened before. I tried going into the regedit and setting the delay to 8 as posted before...nothing. Ive tried only one stick of ram...nothing. I cant set my bios hz below 200 so i cant try that. Im currently on windows 7 ultimate with the same problem. Ive just ininstalled the nvidia drivers and im not using any right now. Its the only way to stay on windows without crashing. This problem is ridiculous and it never happened untill yesterday. Now every OS it happens to and im so beyond done with it. Im assuming a new card is the only option, but then on the other hand its happening everywhere and to everyone with diff cards, so that my friends could also only be a temporary fix. What to do?

also. Using AMd athlon x2 5400+
            Msi Board
            Nvidia 6200 A LE
            creative soundblaster xfi platinum
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:43 PM
  • I began having the kernel crash problem with my Win7 64 Ultimate/GeForce 8800GT setup here recently, seemingly out of nowhere.  I tried every solution that I could find in this thread with no luck until yesterday.  It finally dawned on me that the problem would always begin when starting up a graphically intense game like Left 4 Dead 2, and after returing from SLEEP MODE.  Powering back on from sleep mode was causing the video kernel and even causing Outlook 07 not to retrieve email.  I've stopped using sleep mode now with no crashes and smooth L4D2 gameplay.  Like someone else mentioned earlier, this problem could be caused by a number of issues, and sleep mode can definitely be one of them.  I hope this helps someone.
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:51 PM
  • I began having the kernel crash problem with my Win7 64 Ultimate/GeForce 8800GT setup here recently, seemingly out of nowhere.  I tried every solution that I could find in this thread with no luck until yesterday.  It finally dawned on me that the problem would always begin when starting up a graphically intense game like Left 4 Dead 2, and after returing from SLEEP MODE.  Powering back on from sleep mode was causing the video kernel and even causing Outlook 07 not to retrieve email.  I've stopped using sleep mode now with no crashes and smooth L4D2 gameplay.  Like someone else mentioned earlier, this problem could be caused by a number of issues, and sleep mode can definitely be one of them.  I hope this helps someone.

Try downloading RivaTuner and crank the fan to 100% and see oif that helps. Works wonders on my rig.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:03 PM
  • This is a Microsoft problem with their OS systems beginning all the way back in April of 2007. Google it (or Bing it in the case of this forum).

If you research all the problems with "video card has stopped responding but has recovered" it crosses all manufacturer hardware, old/new, laptop/desktop, ATI/Nvidia (even saw one forum where a person had an Intel integrated HD GPU having this problem).

IMO ...It is not hardware, heat or hardware drivers!

It is definitely a Microsoft software problem with all the above.

3+ years and this problems still exists across all these different platforms? I saw one forum where someone with XP 64-bit claimed they were having this issue.

It's time Microsoft put their engineers to work on this problem and either get it resolved, post a better workaround than the popup saying it has recovered from the error or at least acknowledge what the root cause of it is.

From what I've read (and it has been hours and hours of reading) there is not one repeatable solution for all users to this problem from any of the "experts" on any of these forums.

3+ years is long enough! Fix it Microsoft!

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:32 PM
  • I fixed it in my case. And seriously, I don't think there is a single solution for this issue. I don't know to what the issue is related, but in my case, it happened mainly when I was using my network.

After seeking for a solution for days on the internet, I finally tried to update my network drivers. This did the trick. I used the drivers from Marvell Yukon original website, rather than the one proposed with windows update.

The issue was affecting the chipset from my point of view, because I had issue with my nvidia card which is on the PCIExpress bus, and also with the integrated RAID controller....

Since I have updated the network drivers, all issues are gone

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:30 PM
  • that's not true i have got an insys win 7 nvidia GM105 x86 and i have the same problem ...  only playing one game :x
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 1:38 PM
  • NVIDIA has released 257.12 for GeForce 6 and up.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 2:23 PM
  • I've got old kit. I used to run 32 bit XP, and then did a clean install to 64 bit Win7 6 months ago. Everything worked fine. Then I started getting short periods of screen and mouse freezing followed by the NVIDIA kernel mode driver message, typically when I was using the Opera browser. I had updated my NVIDIA driver and Java a week or so before.

Tried all the obvious things, clearing dust out of fans, doing a complete NVIDA uninstall/reinstall, reverting to older drivers etc. Memtest 86+ memory check OK. Still no joy, still got the problem once or twice a day. Updated to NVIDIA 257.12, still not much better, if at all. I realised that many 'solutions' involved timing issues, so I thought about hardware more seriously.

My kit is Asrock Conroe eSata2 motherboard (Bios Rev 2.10), NVIDIA 7600 GT, Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo @ 1.86 Hz, 4 Gb ram (I mentioned I have old kit didn't I?). Prior to upgrading to Win 7 I added to the existing 2*1 Gb DDR330 memory by adding two more 1 Gb sticks (max for board) but used DDR400 memory. I assumed that the motherboard would detect and run the memory without problems, and it worked for at least 8 months.

I took out the memory and swapped the positions of the DDR330 and DDR400 modules. I have had no more NVIDIA kernel mode messages.

Was it some borderline timing issue with the two speeds of memory, brought on by age of kit? Perhaps it was re-seating the memory modules. Perhaps the flexing of the motherboard reseated some other connection? Perhaps the Bios or windows rebuilt a memory hardware mapping?

I don't know, but it worked for me. Your experience may be entirely different.... best of luck.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:58 PM
  • I've got old kit. I used to run 32 bit XP, and then did a clean install to 64 bit Win7 6 months ago. Everything worked fine. Then I started getting short periods of screen and mouse freezing followed by the NVIDIA kernel mode driver message, typically when I was using the Opera browser. I had updated my NVIDIA driver and Java a week or so before.

Tried all the obvious things, clearing dust out of fans, doing a complete NVIDA uninstall/reinstall, reverting to older drivers etc. Memtest 86+ memory check OK. Still no joy, still got the problem once or twice a day. Updated to NVIDIA 257.12, still not much better, if at all. I realised that many 'solutions' involved timing issues, so I thought about hardware more seriously.

My kit is Asrock Conroe eSata2 motherboard (Bios Rev 2.10), NVIDIA 7600 GT, Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo @ 1.86 Hz, 4 Gb ram (I mentioned I have old kit didn't I?). Prior to upgrading to Win 7 I added to the existing 2*1 Gb DDR330 memory by adding two more 1 Gb sticks (max for board) but used DDR400 memory. I assumed that the motherboard would detect and run the memory without problems, and it worked for at least 8 months.

I took out the memory and swapped the positions of the DDR330 and DDR400 modules. I have had no more NVIDIA kernel mode messages.

Was it some borderline timing issue with the two speeds of memory, brought on by age of kit? Perhaps it was re-seating the memory modules. Perhaps the flexing of the motherboard reseated some other connection? Perhaps the Bios or windows rebuilt a memory hardware mapping?

I don't know, but it worked for me. Your experience may be entirely different.... best of luck.

hi ,

hmmm i wonder if you would have used two 2 gig mem's , ..... it does happen to cause problems , but the 7600 works normally fine , cooling can be a problem , ....

memory check and diag is alsoa good way to fix and find problems , ....

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:33 PM
  • I have the same problem.... well the error's the same, but the version is different. I got my asus g51j-ai laptop a week ago(VGA-nVidia GeForce GTS 360M; VRAM 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, etc)Since then I've gotten alot of this error (the screen flickers and the error pops up... I don't remember the version.) and some times it does the flicker thing and then gives me the blue error screen or go black and freezes completely (I have to hold the power botton down till it turns off). Anyway I don't really speak tech and I need real specific details and instructions in a way I can understand. Oh and I a up to date with windows updates.

• Proposed as answer by Mifune Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:42 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Thanks for posting this. Saved me a lot of work and investigation. I have same problem with my Geforce 8600 GT and your comment made me remember that I ehard a loud pop the day before all this trouble started. I checked my videocard and sure enough 2 capacitators were visibly fried. This may not be the cause of this problem for everyone but for me at least this is the answer.l
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I posted pics of my Zotac 860 GT for world+dog to see. See the review in the resources of my site.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Hi there,

Ive recently noticed thet my Pc freezed once a day when i was playing BC2 or Dragon age   etc.

Now screen goes all funny and I can see pixels in different colors  then  game freeze and I have to hard restart or sometimes alt+F4-it and then I'll get  good old message...Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 190.16 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Got GeForce 8800 GT  on Windows 7 64Bit   and it only started few days ago... I havent updated drivers at that time so I dont know what could Trigger it..

Is there any universal solution for it?????

Sunday, August 01, 2010 10:40 PM
  • I have the Same problem, thanks guys for your testimonials! really helps to feel your not alone.

Im using W7 64 ed.

Nvidia GT 220 1024Mb.

Same thing the screen crashes, the youtube screen becomes green, and it reboots.

Sometimes also it turns off the screen like that also, cant see anymore!

Horrible stuff, I tried everything, will do the Vista solution.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:25 AM
  • I had the same problem with all 2 of my my desktop.  I changed the bios setting at the begining of computer startup and this fix all 3 desktop(2 of my computer and one of my friend's computer).

In the bios, go to

Standard Cmos features

===>Lower the dram settings. 

You need to go into the memory settings in the BIOS and lower the correct timings (eg. 8-8-8-24) and set the memory frequency. The Uncore clock will probably need to be set to 24x, and the DRAM voltage should be lowered by two or more (eg 1.64v to 1.62v).

Every dram is different, so google ur best setting for your dram bios and that should fix the problem.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I have created lots of new domains to make it easier to manage my sites.

I have seen some successful results with slowing the base clock from 200 to 180. This tells me the memory timing is at issue. For those with problems, consult with your memory vendor for better timing settings.

My dead Zotac 8600 page is now moved .

If there are artifacts see this .

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:07 PM
  • As with most of you this annoying message was driving me crazy. I finally found a solution which is easily as crazy, Using overclocking software, I underclocked my GPU, and the problem went away. I do want to stress that Heat output of the card is running te same as ever, and I only clocked down from 720 to 650 cycles, but my NVidia 8600GTS is now quite happy with my games, and I cant really say I have noticed a real loss in overall video speed. After reading everything else here I still wonder how much is actually the card, and how much could just be the PCIe interface in relation to Windows 7 TDR ? ScJDG -=#:{>
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:23 PM
  • I have see a lot of good results from reducing clock speeds a bit. Gear can only go so fast before problems surface.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:32 PM
  • I do want to contribute to this forum-thread because I also have this nasty experience of the Nvidia windows kernel mode driver error.

I purchased my system in 2009-11 and started with Windows7-x64 Ultimate UK from scratch.

At first the Nvidia windows kernel mode driver error occurred within a few days but it wasn’t that irritating and often that I paid much attention to it. I thought ‘Let’s give it a chance, maybe updates will solve it’. And it did, but I do not remember when and by which update exactly.

Then in October 2010 the problem reoccurred and now in such frequency and severity, also leading to BSOD/system crashes complete with mini dumps and complete system hang up forcing me to reboot the system the brute way.

So I searched on the internet for other people having the same errors and maybe a solution. This thread seems to me the most informative!

Today I did a lot of investigating and testing to determine which cause and solution fitted best my situation.

Here’s my contribution, hope it helps other people!

1.       Disabled Aero

2.       Updated all drivers, not only the display drivers but also Motherboard (Asus P7P55D) drivers via

a.       http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm and updated Intel(R) Desktop Board D945GCLF2: Realtek* RTL8111C Gigabit Ethernet driver from 7.23.623.2010 to 7.026.0902.2010

b.      updated BIOS using Asus Update to 1702 for P7P55D

c.       Installed latest Nvidia drivers using the clean install option!

3.       Installed MSI Afterburner to test the solutions advised by ScJDG on 2010-10-23.

a.       Underclocking the graphic-card is no solution. So I reversed to factory settings. (btw, MSI Afterburner really is a great tool!)

4.       Also tried lowering the frequency of my Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G memory modules (total 4G) to 1066MHz

a.       This seemed to diminish the problem but not solving it.

5.       Then I changed the timing settings of the Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G memory modules to  8-8-8-24 as advised by shadowdios on 2010-10-23.

a.       Now the problem is gone, at least it seems gone and I will have to test this for a few days just to be sure

6.       Re-enabled Aero

a.       Now the problem returns. It occurred (don’t laugh) while checking the Windows Event viewer. But scrolling through this thread which used to cause many artefacts in my display is working fine now.

b.      So , at least it seems better and I will have to test this for a few days just to be sure

I’m no gamer, not addicted to the W7 Aero display interface but I hate to have paid my bucks for a system that doesn’t perform as could be expected.

Sytem information:

OS Name                            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Version                              6.1.7600 Build 7600

System Type                     x64-based PC

Processor                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750  @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s),

BIOS Version/Date         American Megatrends Inc. 1702, 21-5-2010

SMBIOS Version              2.6

RAM                                 4,00 GB

Graphic adapter              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Adapter RAM                    896,00 MB (939.524.096 bytes)

Driver Version                  8.17.12.6089

Resolution                          1920 x 1080 x 59 hertz

Sunday, October 31, 2010 4:18 PM