none
CD/DVD Drive's not working - wont open/close, computer wont read disc - Fix It programs not working

Question

• A couple days ago my CD and DVD drive stopped working. Despite the green button flashing on, when I press the button to open my disc drive, nothing happens at all. The Disc I have inside the drive also fails to appear under "My Computer" where devices should appear. I managed to pry open the drive by inserting a bobby-pin into the small hole to open it, and then re-close it. Still nothing happened - it didn't close automatically, i had to push it, and once again, it wasn't recognized on my computer at all. I have tried many different solutions such as uninstall drives and restarting computer, changing upperfilters and lowerfilters in reg edit, .etc .etc. Since none of the worked I have used system restore to days before I had problems so that my computer has the settings it once had.

Someone told me to try and use the microsoft 'fixit' solutions. I tried using 2:

Friday, January 04, 2013 7:40 PM

Answers

• Have you tried the drive in another computer? It could be the drive is just dead and needs to be replaced. Has happened to me. If the laser light goes out of whack the drive is basically useless. The drives are very cheap these days. You should be able to order one on line for 20 dollars or less. Check Ebay out too. You just need to check and see if it's a IDE drive or a SATA drive. I'm guessing it's a IDE drive. Check with a local computer shop and see if they have a used one laying around.

i dont have another desktop and i have no knowledge of installing/uninstalling drives from computers. i would probably mess it up so im not going to try and take it out and into another computer. does anyone have any other suggestions? Im pretty sure i saw it working about a week ago... i hadnt tried using it til the day after i installed alcohol 52% a image mounting/burning program, i think that i might have pressed the wrong things on that program and messed up some computer settings. however, i used system restore and uninstalled it so im not sure whati  can do now to fix it

It is unlikely that the Alcohol install did anything that could permanently damage the drive, especially since you did a system restore.  Honestly it does sound like a hardware failure.

From your desktop right click "Computer" and select "Manage".  In the left hand column labeled "Computer Management (Local)" click on "Device Manager".  Then in the center column, first see if anything has a yellow question mark or exclamation point on it.  Also find the entry for "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and click on the little pointer to the left of it to expand it.  See the pic below - this is what it looks like not expanded.  When you click the pointer it will open up and give you more info about the drive.  What does it say?

Monday, January 07, 2013 3:01 PM

All replies

• "Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can't read or write media"which is used to "Diagnose and repair CD or DVD drive issues, when you cannot burn or play CD or DVD discs, when a drive is not found, not accessible or not connected"

I downloaded this and when i opened it to install and the green bar was filling up as it was installing, i then got an error message saying "troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occurred- We're sorry but the program encountered an error and can not continue. Please try again later." So I tried again several times still to no avail.

Friday, January 04, 2013 7:42 PM
  • And then I went and downloaded the  "Microsoft Fix it Centre". The exact same thing happened, I got a message saying "troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occurred- We're sorry but the program encountered an error and can not continue. Please try again later."

I need my cd/dvd drive to work badly and these programs wont even work at all. I don't think my drive is dead since the green light still comes on when my computer is on.

Thankyou for any help at all.

Sorry for posting 3 responses - it kept saying that I couldn't post links or images til my account was verified... even though i didnt post any links or images.

Friday, January 04, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Under Device manager i went to "Disc Drives" and underneath I had one drive called WDC WD5001AALS-00LWTA0 . I right clicked and selected properties and it said "This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

I recently downloaded a cd burning/mounting device called "Alcohol 52%" but after having problems with it, I uninstalled it and system restored to before I even downloaded it. However, this still didn't solve anything.

Friday, January 04, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Is this a laptop or a desktop?  If a desktop, even if you think the drive is not dead, try moving it to another computer and/or putting a different CD/DVD drive into your computer to definitively rule that out.
    Friday, January 04, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Is this a laptop or a desktop?  If a desktop, even if you think the drive is not dead, try moving it to another computer and/or putting a different CD/DVD drive into your computer to definitively rule that out.
    it is a desktop, a 2006 Compaq SR1910NX to be exact. And I have tried putting in different discs to no avail
    Friday, January 04, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Have you tried the drive in another computer? It could be the drive is just dead and needs to be replaced. Has happened to me. If the laser light goes out of whack the drive is basically useless. The drives are very cheap these days. You should be able to order one on line for 20 dollars or less. Check Ebay out too. You just need to check and see if it's a IDE drive or a SATA drive. I'm guessing it's a IDE drive. Check with a local computer shop and see if they have a used one laying around.
    Friday, January 04, 2013 9:58 PM

it is a desktop, a 2006 Compaq SR1910NX to be exact. And I have tried putting in different discs to no avail

I don't mean different CDs.  I mean to change out the drive itself.  Try a different one and try the problem on in a different computer.
    Friday, January 04, 2013 10:15 PM

i dont have another desktop and i have no knowledge of installing/uninstalling drives from computers. i would probably mess it up so im not going to try and take it out and into another computer. does anyone have any other suggestions? Im pretty sure i saw it working about a week ago... i hadnt tried using it til the day after i installed alcohol 52% a image mounting/burning program, i think that i might have pressed the wrong things on that program and messed up some computer settings. however, i used system restore and uninstalled it so im not sure whati  can do now to fix it
    Friday, January 04, 2013 11:15 PM

It is unlikely that the Alcohol install did anything that could permanently damage the drive, especially since you did a system restore.  Honestly it does sound like a hardware failure.

From your desktop right click "Computer" and select "Manage".  In the left hand column labeled "Computer Management (Local)" click on "Device Manager".  Then in the center column, first see if anything has a yellow question mark or exclamation point on it.  Also find the entry for "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and click on the little pointer to the left of it to expand it.  See the pic below - this is what it looks like not expanded.  When you click the pointer it will open up and give you more info about the drive.  What does it say?

Monday, January 07, 2013 3:01 PM