none
Windows 7 installation hangs on black screen

Question

• Hello everybody, I am new here. This is a long post, I know, but please do read, I am desperate...

I am banging my head against a wall since four days already with Windows 7 installation.I know that very many users have had a similar problem, but none of the solutions I read of have helped me.

I bought a new computer I assembled myself (it is not the one I am using right now), with these specifications:

- AMD Athlon Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz 64 bits
    - 4 GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz Kingston
    - Motherboard MSI 770-G45
    - ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE 2.1
    - Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA II
    - LG BlueRay 10X
    - Power Supply Unit Corsair 550W (according to their website it should be just ok for this system)
    - No overclocking whatsoever

I think it can pretty much run 7.
    And I also bought two copies of Windows 7, specifically:

- Windows 7 Professional 64 bits English
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits Finnish

they're absolutely original, I have serial number, hologram sticker and everything.

After I assembled the new PC, I tried installing Win 7 Pro on it, but more or less when it is copying files the screen goes black and apparently the installation stops (it stayed even 5 or more minutes that way and nothing happened). Keyboard and mouse lights are shut off and are inactive, the computer can't be turned off by the power button and, which really puzzles me, it can't even be reseted with the Reset button (which otherwise works just fine, I tested that), I have to turn off the power supply.

By "more or less when it is copying" I mean that it may happen while setup shows the list of available disks, or while partitioning, or while copying/expanding setup files.

- I checked every single connection, unplugged and re-plugged everything, same problem
    - I tried to remove anything not strictly necessary, same problem
    - yes, my graphics card and monitor support DVI, I tried both DVI and VGA connection, same problem
    - I loaded BIOS optimal default settings, same problem
    - I tried to install the Finnish version instead, same problem
    - I tried to install on a different hard disk, same problem
    - I tried to use another DVD player, same problem
    - I tried to remove one RAM stick, same problem

Then I tried to install Windows XP, it worked just fine, installed everything and got to the desktop, no problems. I think it definitely means the problem is just with Windows 7.

I found this page on Microsoft's KB pages. The problems appears to be that one, and I did exactly like they say in there (the AutoUnattend part) and it didn't work. I also tried to manually load the drivers via the "Load Drivers" button in the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen, but then I realized that it is actually meant to install just hard drives drivers.
    I tried also the two monitors workaround they talk about, and both monitors went black. 

I discovered that I can enter the setup in safe mode by using this guide .

In safe mode the installation goes through the expanding files step and gets to the end of the installing updates step, after which the computer reboots (which I'll call hereafter the "first reboot")
    If I don't do anything, Windows loads and the installation continues with the completing installation phase, the last one, during which the computer hangs and screen goes black, just as usual.

So according to the procedure explained on the page linked above, after the first reboot I entered in safe mode and opened the device manager. Under "Other devices" item there were quite many devices with the yellow triangle and exclamation mark on them.

(note that after every black screen I have to start the installation procedure from the very beginning, because if I try to continue from the point right after the hang up the setup will say that previous installation attempt ended unexpectedly and that it is not possible to continue, have to start over)

First attempt: I disable the graphics card, which is supposed to be the cause of the problem, just like it is told to do on the guide. Restart and try to continue the installation from the completing installation step. Result: hang & black screen.

Second attempt: I disable every single item marked with the yellow triangle and exclamation mark. Reboot & continue installation from the completing installation step. Result: hang & black screen.

Third attempt: using all CD/DVDs I have (motherboard, graphics card, windows) I try to install all of the drivers for the triangle-marked items. I also manage to install the absolutely latest drivers for the graphics card, downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Reboot & continue installation from the completing installation step. Result: hang & black screen.

At this point I don't know anymore what is the problem. I don't know if the cause is among those triangle-marked items or maybe among others too, but I tried two last things:

- I got after the first reboot, pressed F8 and out of curiosity tried the last of the menu options, something about allowing the use of drivers which don't have proper signature or something like that. Installation continued from the completing installation step. Result: hang & black screen.

- I got after the first reboot, pressed F8 and select 640x480 mode. The installation continued and the screen resolution was most definitely not 640x480, but larger. Installation continued from the completing installation step. Result: hang & black screen.

Then I tried to install the SATA controller's drivers according to this post , hoping my issue was something similar (of course I used those provided on my motherboard's CD). In safe mode it accepted the drivers (though it said they weren't compatible), but then it said that Windows can't be installed on any partition, and I wasn't allowed to format/delete/create anything. In normal mode it accepted them again (but still it said they weren't compatible) and went on to the installation, but eventually the computer hung and screen went black at the same point.

I tried some other things, like changing settings in the BIOS according to some suggestions, but I got no result.

Please, what can I do?

Sunday, September 05, 2010 7:55 AM

Answers

• Issue solved.

I enabled AHCI in the BIOS and disabled AMD Cool 'n' Quiet. Then I loaded AMD Sata controller drivers during the setup, and it didn't say anymore that they were not compatible. It was just obvious that if I wanted to load AHCI drivers I had to enable AHCI in the BIOS, but I just didn't think of it before, I just disabled AHCI the first time I saw it wouldn't change anything.

At any rate, after the setup completed I tried to re-enable Cool'n'Quiet, and I got hang & black screen again while in Windows. So I guess the actual problem was Cool 'n' Quiet and maybe the drivers and AHCI weren't necessary, I don't know. Anyway at the moment Cool 'n' Quiet is still disabled and I'll leave that way unless I find out how to avoid the crash - not that I need it, the CPU temperature is just fine (the sensor says 29°C right now, but since it is located near the processor's fan hte actual temperature might be maybe 10 degrees more, not sure, but still should be fine.

Thanks to everybody! :)

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:26 AM
    Monday, September 06, 2010 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

I would recommend entering the BIOS and selecting F8 "Fail-Safe Defaults", Save and Exit. You can tweak your settings later.

The BIOS version should be the latest available.

I am currently waiting for the download to complete for the ATI system drivers dated 2010-4-20, which includes Windows 7 drivers. I want to determine if there are any you can add at the load drivers option. I would believe that the CD that was included with your mainboard is only Vista\XP.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1937

The black screen can occur when a drive controller is needed, when the boot order reverts back to optical drive first or the display adapter is improperly configured. It should be in slot PCI-e 2. The Fail Safe Defaults in the BIOS may correct any tweaks causing a problem.

I'll post again after MSI decides to let me have the system driver download.

• Edited by Nano Warp Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:42 AM edit text
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Ok,

There is an AHCI disk driver located in the ati_system_drive_mb.zip\AMD\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI\W7 or W764a(for 64-bit) that you can add at the load drivers option for the hard disk.

1. Boot from the Win 7 DVD, select language and time, select custom

2. On the where do want to install page, select Advanced, delete any existing partitions, create a new partiton, and format

3. Select the add drivers button and point to a usb flash or cd with the 2010-4-20 drivers file from MSI and select the AHCI drivers

4. Attempt to install.

This is with the BIOS set in Fail-Safe Defaults.

I hope that helps.

Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:05 AM
  • Ok, I tried, here's what happened.

First attempt: I forgot to set BIOS to fail-safe defaults but decided to try anyway. I delete all partitions and when repartitioning it tells me as usual that the system might createa a 100MB partition in order for everything to work correctly (I wonder then what would happen without that...). After partitions are created, I click Load Drivers and get to the driver folder on my USB key - it can't be the wrong folder as it is the ONLY folder on it. The "Hide drivers not compatible with this computer's hardware" checkbox is checked, and no drivers are shown. So I uncheck it and the list shows two identical items, "AMD SATA driver" or something like that, plus the actual name of the inf file, both identical. I try one of them, which gets loaded anyway and then start the installation. Gets to "Expanding Windows files (0%)..." and after a brief while, hangs & black screen.

Second attempt: as above, except that I loaded fail-safe defaults, but I had to change boot order though in order to get to the installation. I also tried the other "AMD SATA driver" item, just for the fun of it. Hangs & Black screen.

Third attempt (still running): I enter in safe mode via F8 and start the installation from there. I delete and recreate partitions, load the drivers (still said to be not compatible) and start installation. It's still at "Expanding Windows files (0%)...", which comes as no surprise as it never hangs in safe mode. We'll see what happens when it gets after the first reboot.

(I deleted my previous post as it came after Nano Warp's last one, despite it was being written before that. It might have been confusing)

• Edited by JoeDerivative Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:43 AM added note
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Update from third attempt: gets after first reboot, shows the "Starting Windows" and "System is updating registry settings" screens,during which the screen flashes once or twice, then the installation window appears and it is on the Completing installation step. Maybe one more minute, then hangs & black screen.
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:54 AM
  • I borrowed a Windows XP Pro 64bits from a friend for testing. I installed it without problems and installed every single piece of hardware. All ok. Then I installed Oracle VirtualBox and ran Windows 7 installation in a virtual machine. The whole process didn't take longer than 15 minutes and I didn't get a single error. Now it's waiting for me to input a user name... sigh.

Definitely the problem must be some hardware component which Seven doesn't like and that VirtualBox doesn't directly show to Seven, this must be why installation succeeded in VM.

I think I am going to try to install Seven over XP64, let's see what happens...

Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Did you download the latest drivers for the SATA? I would use those over the CD version. Also, does your motherboard have on-board video? If so, I would remove the ATI and try the install again. I would then try a single pass MemTest.
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Issue solved.

I enabled AHCI in the BIOS and disabled AMD Cool 'n' Quiet. Then I loaded AMD Sata controller drivers during the setup, and it didn't say anymore that they were not compatible. It was just obvious that if I wanted to load AHCI drivers I had to enable AHCI in the BIOS, but I just didn't think of it before, I just disabled AHCI the first time I saw it wouldn't change anything.

At any rate, after the setup completed I tried to re-enable Cool'n'Quiet, and I got hang & black screen again while in Windows. So I guess the actual problem was Cool 'n' Quiet and maybe the drivers and AHCI weren't necessary, I don't know. Anyway at the moment Cool 'n' Quiet is still disabled and I'll leave that way unless I find out how to avoid the crash - not that I need it, the CPU temperature is just fine (the sensor says 29°C right now, but since it is located near the processor's fan hte actual temperature might be maybe 10 degrees more, not sure, but still should be fine.

Thanks to everybody! :)

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:26 AM
    Monday, September 06, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Glad to hear you resolved the issue. :-)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:26 AM
  • Yeah, glad to hear you resolved it. That was some adventure. Check your Event Viewer to determine if there are any other issues. Good luck for a stable system.
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:17 AM
  • I had a similar situation where I installed Windows 7 x64 and the copying files part from the DVD were finished... when the computer rebooted from the hard drive, and setup was to continue, it hung forever on a black scrren after showing the windows is starting logo.

I tried removing PS/2 keyb, usb devices, but the solution for me was to remove the PCI nVidia graphics card. I tried again from onboard VGA, and I was able to complete the installation.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:23 AM