none
DVD Decoder

Question

• Where do I get a decoder to watch DVD's in Windows Media Player?

Media player says to go to "web help".

Web Help says to go to Windows Update.

Windows Update says all updates are loaded.

So I am looking for MPEG-2 Codec Pack for Windows Vista built 5308, 64bit.

Thanks

Matt

Friday, June 16, 2006 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hold the phone... You say you're on build 5308...? Well, there's your problem. We're up to build 5384...

For what it's worth, I'm able to insert a DVD into my drive and it automatically pops up the option to play it - either in WMP 11 or in Media Center in EITHER the 32 bit or 64 bit version...

Choosing the WMP option loads the flick, it plays the usual previews, then goes into the menu. In other words, the MPEG2 codecs are already included in Vista 32 and 64 build 5384...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:45 AM

All replies

• I have same problem - any ideas on the fix....

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:36 AM
  • Hold the phone... You say you're on build 5308...? Well, there's your problem. We're up to build 5384...

For what it's worth, I'm able to insert a DVD into my drive and it automatically pops up the option to play it - either in WMP 11 or in Media Center in EITHER the 32 bit or 64 bit version...

Choosing the WMP option loads the flick, it plays the usual previews, then goes into the menu. In other words, the MPEG2 codecs are already included in Vista 32 and 64 build 5384...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:45 AM
  • It looks like you are on the money.

I downloaded the new version and am working with it now.

There are a lot of fixes and additional tweeks.

Have not tested a movie yet, but have tested the DVD recorder.

Matt

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:51 PM
  • Hey I'm having blems playing dvds too.

I'm not suer what build im using though

how do you cange it from

5308 to 5384.ow

thanx alot

Let me kn

Monday, July 10, 2006 6:10 AM
  • I see the build number on the right side of the bottom corner.

You can see the version in "System Information". You can find this from

Start/All programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information"

Version: 6.0.5384

Monday, July 10, 2006 6:33 AM
  • Hey there,

I'm having something of the same issue.  I'm running build 5384, and it reads dvd movies ok, but I'm getting a lot of chops and it locks up frequently when I try to play them.  I've gotten the latest updates and drivers from the Microsoft Windows Update, and I made sure that I'm using ATI's latest catalyst drivers for the video card as well. 

On a possibly related note, Media Center is crashing as soon as i click to open it.  Ideas?

• Proposed as answer by Footn Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Footn Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:07 PM
    Thursday, July 13, 2006 6:37 AM
  •  Mengyi wrote:

I see the build number on the right side of the bottom corner.

You can see the version in "System Information". You can find this from

Start/All programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information"

Version: 6.0.5384

Saturday, November 04, 2006 6:19 AM
  •  

Where do I get a decoder to watch DVD's in Windows Media Player?

cecy

Sunday, November 12, 2006 5:20 PM
  • when i was tring to play dvd it's says like window media player can't play because dvd decorder is not instal.
    • Proposed as answer by phatgirl Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:41 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:07 AM
  • i need the dvd decder downloded please
    • Proposed as answer by GURNISHAN Wednesday, July 08, 2009 11:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, February 15, 2010 4:53 PM
    Friday, November 17, 2006 3:12 AM
  • excuse my ignorance but i still can't figure out how to download a dvd decoder i looked everywhere help pleeeeeaseeee
    Monday, November 27, 2006 10:27 AM
  • i'm having the same problem.please let me know if you get an answer. this is my first time on here so i'm not real familiar with this site. my e-mail is r_sardinas@hotmail.com..

thanks

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:54 AM
  •  mattreade wrote:

Where do I get a decoder to watch DVD's in Windows Media Player?

So I am looking for MPEG-2 Codec Pack for Windows Vista built 5308, 64bit.

Thanks

Matt

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:55 AM
  •  sushil071 wrote:
    when i was tring to play dvd it's says like window media player can't play because dvd decorder is not instal.
    Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:55 AM
  • Heres the problem; Windows Vista already has a built in DVD decoder, Also known as an MPEG2 decoder. The catch is that its a time sensitive decoder, at least for the trial version. Try setting your computers date back to November 1st of 2006 and the decoder should work. Other alternatives include just finding a different mpeg-2 decoder, but the majority of them require you to pay for them.

I hope this helps!
    Monday, December 11, 2006 8:04 AM
  • I have Vista Business and it does'nt come with a built in decoder.. any idea where to get this?

I get the exact same error message as posted earlier ..

Please help !

//hanna

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 9:48 AM
  • I gave up and googled "decoder". I ended up buying decoder software from NVidea. It cost me 20 bucks. Not bad. and I can play whatever dvd's i want now. U can go to NVidea's website     www.nvidea.com 

click the search button, type in "decoder" and click the exact button, and it will give u a list of decoders.

Nvidea makes good quality stuff. Just get a 20 dollar software, it will install it wherever it needs to be on your computer, and ur computer will automatically detect it's there, no set up , no nothing, Hassle free.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:25 AM
  • Ok ok people ya'll are looking for a Decoder well for any WMP 9-11 there is not a Decoder included. So you are able to use either of DvD decoders from Http://www.c-net.com/dvddecode   or others like CyberLink power DvD seems to work the best. www.cyberlink.com/dvd/powerDvD7.1.

Sincerely The DAWG

The only true DAWG

If you need anymore answers to unknwon issues reguarding WMP/ Codecs/ Decoders/ or issuses of Vista or Xp SP2 plz contact me @ trevdawg769@yahoo.com

Have a greatday people.

Monday, May 14, 2007 1:57 PM
  •  Wolfie2k6 wrote:

Hold the phone... You say you're on build 5308...? Well, there's your problem. We're up to build 5384...

I do not know what build your talking about> seems to me you don't either. All WMP builds are the same / 5150 is the only build not. Vista<

If ya'll need DvD decoders plz check C-Net for free decoders or use PowerDvD. If you like use N-view with nivadia svga.

scrtlock>code:bon:user1.

next time try using a better script code to Active-X someone

Monday, May 14, 2007 2:03 PM
  • what i have to do
    Friday, May 18, 2007 2:33 AM
  • My version is 6.0.6000  Build 6000  what is going on?
    Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:53 PM
  • I installed windows media upgrade so I can play my dvd movies  My movies won't start  All I get is the music that is installed in the computer already.  How do I get my dvd movie to play.
    Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:57 PM
  • Emmy,

I got your post in my inbox. Just do what I did, go to www.nvidia.com type "dvd decoder" in the search box, without the quotation marks, and click on the first link. Pure Video Decoder, or something like that is what it's called. Anyway, buy the cheapest one I think it's bronze. It'll cost you only $20, but you won't be pulling your hair out trying to figure out how to play a dvd with media player.

One of the other guys on the forum said you didn't have to, but I could never make it work. $20 just isn't worth me pulling my hair out to make the decoder that supposedley came with the system work.

That's the easy way.

Hope this helps.

rodrigo

Monday, June 04, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Hello,
    I would suggest, just download and install DivX codecs (http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/). this will resolve all your problems with dvd players. Just keep in mind, you might need to change your screen resolution and color management schemes before you watch a movie from dvd via media player 11. you might also like to keep a back up of  the current color scheme, so you can revert to the same old scheme and screen resolution after you finish watching the movie.

Let me know if that resolves the issue. Enjoy !!

Jha

Monday, June 04, 2007 5:42 AM
  • i need to know what the decoder is so i can play dvds on my laptop i have a ACER laptop please help me

Friday, August 03, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Ok, ok,

Listen right quick people. A decoder is only a software that allows your DVD player to understand different Data feeds from a DvD crypted disk. Now if your wanting or needing a decoder that means your media player isn't update < and if it is then you had a decoder but it is gone now. You can find a decoder on the net anywhere, or buy one in the stores. I myself use region DvD x> made by dvdclone. I can't suggest it cause of the reasons for rules of software suggestions. You can use many of the ones that windows.com market place offers also. All you need to do is google search it or use your search brower to find it. My suggestions is to update your media player with all updates. Go to

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us        and allow the site active X controls. Then choose to install the latest software updates> as in choosing custom updates instead of express. You may find your update for the decoder there. If not then go to your computer's companys site > exp. dell >> www.dell.com / www.acer.com / www.compaq.com / incert your model number and search for software and driver downloads for your model. Now come on this is easy. Big Smile The search is fun for those who don't have a decoder> cause you can choose any you want. Some people have to use the one install on thier computer only.

Yours Truely,

1N37 DAWG

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:51 AM
  • The decoder comes with the player software that comes with your DVD drive. Most of the ones I see are power DVD or Nvidia DVD. So check to make sure you dont already have one.

If yours did not come with one then you will need to purchase one. Try this link...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx#DVDDecoder

PS: Forgot to mention that only Vista Premium and Ultimate come with a decoder. You must install one for the rest.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I can copy the movies but every once in a while I get one without sound, what kind of decoder or what ever would be best for this?

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:00 PM
  •  

Here is something to try. I have the same issue with windows media player and playing dvds on  student machine. Tells you incorrect dvd decoder or resolution set wrong. If i give the student administrator rights it works fine. Maybe on your own personal machine you can check your rights issues and might fix your problem. I need to find out what file the student needs rights to enable them to play dvds.

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Media player says to go to "web page "so i would like to install a DVD DECORD

Arvind
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:00 PM
  • I put in a DVD and it tells me Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on computer.  Do I have to buy this MPEG-2 decoder or is there a update for it.  I have a laptop with Vista Ultimate on it and don't have the problem that I have with Vista Business on my desktop.

Thanks

Earl

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:24 PM
  • if you find the way to install the dvd decorder ples let me know to this e-mail please

• george
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I  have the same problem. Have you ever found help? I was able to view DVD's then I started to get all kinds of errors for no particular reason. I would appreciate any help you or anyone else can give me. I still can't find what I'm looking for either.

Thanks,

Lurson

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:01 AM
  • Windows Vista Basic comes with a decoder as well but for some reason it stops working and updating is no longer an option you have to buy one after it ends. Bummer hah?

Jane

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:28 AM
  • when i went to play a dvd it had a message and said media player cant play dvd because dvd decoder is not installed.i had been playing dvds on here so what went wrong and how do i fix it

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Prosze poinformowac mnie jaki należy wgrac program decoder aby odtwarzac płyty CD i DVD. Czy istnieje programtaki aby wgrac do laptopa. pozdrawiam Siekierski z Warszawy

Friday, March 07, 2008 10:49 AM
  • this helps but i'm not sure on how to do that, not very good at computers so you pls. explain the steps to me i would really be greatful

thanks a lot

Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:05 AM
  • Sorry to merely use you as "guinea pig," but I'm utterly new to these boards, and I'm trying to see how things track.  (so far mysterious to me)  I do happen to have the same issue you did, and I'm seeking an answer here.  Your post has multiple answers (it appears to me) but I can't discover how to open them.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 11:30 PM
  • how can i get my dvd player to play rw 24-10-40

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:40 AM
  • Windows Media Player does not have MPEG-2 Codec Pack and some other decoders.  You can extend the reach of the Media Player by adding Windows media Player Plug-in.  You need the same plug -in for playing IE videos. Good site to get it from is: http://www.adelphia.net/files/media_assistant/assistant.php?checkfor=all. When installing plug-in be careful what formats you assign to that plug-in.  Informative page on Plug-in:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx

I use NERO and its ability to play almost anything. The firs step before playing is to scan the DVD (or CD) for viruses, and then verify the DVD (or CD) format.  One of my players does not support DVD+R DL and it will not play movies recorded on that media. Know what media you DVD player can play - use NERO (or similar) Tools to find out.  Some DVD player in the specification state that they support a particular DVD (or CD) format, it turns out they do not.

Andrejmart

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:56 AM
  • Don't waste your time trying to set your clock in your computer back it's just going to make you feel like your an @$$ and alittle upset because you still haven't found something to fix the MPEG2 decoder error so you will probably come back here looking for more answeres anyway. So here's the hint *KEEP LOOKING*

Sinceraly yours =)

~J

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:00 AM
  • plz tell me how can i play the dvd in "Windows Media Player"

Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:40 AM
  • This is absolutely ridiculous. Here's the FREE and LEGAL answer to your problem:
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:37 PM
  • if you want a free one go to vlc.com
    • Proposed as answer by sleepswithdogs Monday, August 23, 2010 2:54 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:49 PM