none
Computer keeps restarting after update

Question

• This is actually a problem my friend is having on his laptop, not myself, but I am going to need to walk him through how to fix it because he's not very familiar with computers. 

The problem is that last night he shut down his computer, and as it often happens, Vista installed recently downloaded updates upon shutdown. When he turned it on today, it gets to step 3 of 3: Configuring updates, waits a few minutes, and restarts. It continues to cycle like this nonstop.

I've seen topics related to this issue back in 2008 when it seems like alot of people had this issue with SP1 - this was not the SP1 update, however. As far as I know it was a run of the mill, basic update. Unfortunately, as I said it isn't my computer and I don't think I can get the information on exactly which updates were trying to be installed. 

I already had him try booting into safe mode with no luck. He says after hitting Enter to go into safe mode it says "Please Wait..." for about 3 minutes and then restarts again. Recently after trying both normal and safe start ups he says it has been going to a bluescreen sometimes. 

I think he needs to boot from a Vista DVD, but he doesn't have one (He's 8 hours away at college, so I can't give him mine). I found THIS on another site; would it be appropriate? 

And if that is what he needs to fix it, could anybody please give me a step-by-step on exactly how to use it? I've been fortunate enough to never have needed to boot Vista from a disc on any of my computers, so I really have no idea how. I think it has something to do with boot order in the BIOS... but I'm clueless on exactly how to do that as well. 

Thanks for any help :)
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

I know that you are unable to enter the system after installing some update packages; you should perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

Before going any further, you should get a right Windows Vista installation DVD with your hands (yours is OK, we only need to boot in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE); but make sure that the Vista versions should be the same)

Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

=====================================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 20, 2009 10:56 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:18 AM

All replies

• It sounds like the best thing here would be to try system restore. If he doesn't have a installation DVD, have him press F8 on boot and see if there is a "Repair Computer" option. Some OEMs will include this option to boot from the recovery partition (Dell does for sure) and you can use it to restore.

Another thing you might try is the "Last Known Good Configuration" option of the F8 menu. This will only work if he has not logged into the machine since the problem began. Once you log in, Windows considers that to be a good configuration.

As for the recovery disk on that link. I'm not able to find any mention of it on MS's website. If this is truly a Microsoft product, why not just link to Microsoft's download rather than distribute a torrent? For me, that doesn't pass the sniff test. I would approach that with caution personally.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I know that you are unable to enter the system after installing some update packages; you should perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

Before going any further, you should get a right Windows Vista installation DVD with your hands (yours is OK, we only need to boot in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE); but make sure that the Vista versions should be the same)

Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 20, 2009 10:56 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:18 AM