none
Memory leaks- high memory usage svchost.exe

Question

• hello!

im having a kind of a similar problem. Im using a Q6600 with 4Gb of RAM running on Windows 7 x64. My physical memory usage history is 1.75GB idle but my CPU usage looks good ~ 0%.

In Windows Task Manager when i arranged the memory column, the process with the highest memory usge is svchost.exe with 116,572K. And i have 14 svchost.exe in my computer! I opened process exporer and check the legitimate of all those svchost.exe and they are all legit. When i look at the properties of the highest svchost.exe in process explorer, the services which is running under it is as follows

AudioEndPointBuilder c:\Windows\System32\Audiosrv.dll

CscService c:\Windows\System32\cscsvc.dll

hidserv c:\Windows\System32\hidserv.dll

Netman c:\Windows\System32\netman.dll

PcaSvc c:\Windows\System32\pcasvc.dll

SysMain c:\Windows\System32\sysmail.dll

TrkWks c:\Windows\System32\trkwks.dll

UxSms c:\Windows\System32\uxsms.dll

wudfsvc c:\Windows\System32\WUDFSvc.dll

All are legit DLLS.

Is it normal to have 14 svchost.exe running at the same time(system, local service, network service in Task Manager)

and how can i reduce the memory usage of the svchost.exe?

Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started.

If you would like to reduce the usage of this service, I could share the following article with you:

Getting Started with SVCHOST.EXE Troubleshooting

PRF: High CPU (SVCHOST.EXE)

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 10:13 AM

All replies

• BUMP!
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:50 PM
  • It's not unusual to have many instances of svchost.exe listed. There are multiple services listed under it but not many run at the same time. I have 13 instances of it listed on my computer.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Hi,

There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started.

If you would like to reduce the usage of this service, I could share the following article with you:

Getting Started with SVCHOST.EXE Troubleshooting

PRF: High CPU (SVCHOST.EXE)

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. i tried deleteing the files in PREFETCH folder, and it works temporarily for a few days. Now the specified SVCHOST is back up to 103000K (memory). The CPU usage is fine though. 

Im going to try the troubleshooting soon. thanks for the link Alex!

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:34 AM
  • I believe Sysmain/Superfetch using a lot of memory is normal, and then it gives it out when needed.

Monday, April 11, 2011 2:29 PM