none
Windows 7 service pack fails with 0X800F0A12 on RAID Drive.

Question

• I have been getting the 0x800f0a12 error when trying to install service pack #1

I have a system with a RAID set up as mirrored. I do not see a reserved system partition in the disk manager window and the DISKPART automount did not work.

I did have an extra drive installed that is for back up and I tried removing that but the error still persists. The mother board I am using is an ASUS P6T Deluxe and I am using the motherboards onboard raid with drivers from Asus/Intel.

I presume the issue is that the system cannot see the physical boot drive that is used before the raid drivers kick in to provide a mirrored virtual disk but I have never had any issue installing updates from Microsoft before with this setup. Even updates that required a reboot have worked before.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to fix this?

I have also heard that if you keep your system updated, as I do, service pack 1 is not really required.

Thanks

Friday, March 04, 2011 6:49 PM

Answers

• You will need to boot from the original Windows DVD. 

1. Click Repair your computer.
    2. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    3. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt
    4. At the command prompt run the bootrec /rebuildbcd
    • Marked as answer by bamsch Friday, March 11, 2011 8:15 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

please read this:

Windows 7/2008 R2 Service Pack 1 fails with 0x800f0a12

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Friday, March 04, 2011 7:27 PM
  • As I noted in my question the steps on this link did not work.

I had tried DISKPART automount enable, reboot, then reinstall. Same error

I did try mountvol /e but received an access is denied error message.

Friday, March 04, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

to see the cause we must look for error messages in the file CBS.log.

Please run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy all files to your document folder, also copy the setupapi.dev.log from the folder C:\Windows\Inf and the file "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log" to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it), zip all files into 1 ZIP and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [1] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Friday, March 04, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Thanks André for working with me on this issue.

I have posted the files here.

http://cid-5237de3423ab8512.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/Error%5E_0X800f00a12.zip

Friday, March 04, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Opps

Updated the zip file with a file I missed.

http://cid-5237de3423ab8512.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/Error^_0X800f00a12.zip

Friday, March 04, 2011 11:21 PM
  • 2011-02-26 10:56:33, Error                 CBS    SPI: (CSPInstall::AutoMountDisableCheck:1026)Bcdedit failed with error code 0x1 hr=0x800f0a12
    2011-02-26 10:56:33, Error                 CBS    SPI: (CSPInstall::CompatibilityApplicabilityScan:1471)AutoMountDisable check failed hr=0x800f0a12

it only shows me what we know. The AutoMount doesn't work. Wait if joscon has an idea.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Is there someone else that can help on this. joscon was the one that directed me to post on this board.

Do I need to repost?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:49 AM
  • I write him that he should look at your logs.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Did you check the other possible solutions in the above mentioned article?  How many partitions do you have on the drive?

• Ensure that the System Reserved partition is marked active (you can do this in Disk Management or DISKPART)
    • If you dont have a 100MB System Reserved Partition, make sure the drive with your Windows installation is active
    • Make sure that the Windows installation is the only active volume on your installation
    • If you have a 100MB System Reserved partition and it is marked active, give the partition a drive letter and reattempt the service pack installation
    • Lastly, disconnect any external devices, particularly storage devices such as EBooks and thumb drives
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:07 PM
  • My system is set up with two 1.5 Gig drives in a RAID (Mirrored) configuration. This was done the normal way, installing RAID drivers when instructed by the Windows 7 install routine.

I only have one partition on the drive that is where the windows is installed as the C drive.

I have a DVD and Blue Ray drives in the system.

There is no System Reserved 100MB partition shown in the disk management tool.

The Windows partition did not appear to be marked active when I first got the error originally but I had tried marking it active. It now always shows active and the 'mark as active' line is greyed out.

I do have another 1.5 Gig drive installed as a normal drive (Not RAID) for backup purposes but I have tried unplugging that drive and installing but the error persisits.

The only other storage I have is a NAS that I mount as drive Z. I have tried un-mounting/disconnecting this drive but the error persists.

The only drive shown currently are C: (RAID) D: (1.5Gig Backup drive) E: DVD Writer F:Blue Ray Writer Z:NAS

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Could you try running the following command from an elevated command prompt?

bcdboot C:\Windows

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:24 AM
  • I ran the command from a command prompt run as administrator

I get the message "BFSVC: BcdOpenSystemStore faile with unexpected error code, Status = [c000015c]

When I did the diskpart automount enable I did not use an elevated command prompt. Could this be the problem?

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Yes, you should run the automount command from an elevated command prompt.

If the doesn't work, boot into winre and run bootrec /rebuildbcd

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:40 PM
  • I tried the automount from and elevated command prompt and then tried installing both before and after a reboot with the same error.

Sorry if I am a little dense but what is winre? Windows Recovery? Do I need to boot to the windows service pack disk or the original windows install disk.

I am a little worried that the bootrec /rebuildbcd might cause my RAID not to boot anymore.

I am going to do a complete backup before I attempt this once I have clarification.

By the way I really appreciate all the help I have gotten so far from Jim, Andree, and Joscon

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:14 AM
  • You will need to boot from the original Windows DVD. 

1. Click Repair your computer.
    2. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    3. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt
    4. At the command prompt run the bootrec /rebuildbcd
    • Marked as answer by bamsch Friday, March 11, 2011 8:15 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Thanks you very much for fixing my problem.

I booted to the original DVD. It said it found errors and wanted to repair but I canceled. I went to system recovery and got a command prompt. type bootrec /rebuldbcd

It reported it had found an error and wanted to add D:\Windows to the BCD block. I allow the change and rebooted windows. The service pack then installed with no issues.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone.

Friday, March 11, 2011 8:19 AM