none
System Recovery...Operating System not listed in dialog box

Question

• I'm using hp that has Windows 7 operating system installed on it. I cannot get to my desktop, so i tried to go into safe mode, but it is taking too damn long to load...not sure if this is normal; it has been at least 30 minutes. I got into the system recovery, and I chose "Repair Your Computer", and I get a dialog box but there is no operating system listed. So, I tried to prompted to "Load Drivers," and honestly, I do not know where to look at. I tried Startup Repair, and System Restore but do not work. What can I do? I looked online, and I couldn't find an answer. please help from a non-techie! By the way, not sure if I listed this question in the right forum.
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:35 PM

Answers

• It sounds like your hard drive may have died and you must contact HP Customer Assistance or Technical Support for further assistance.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by FNM82 Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:59 PM

All replies

• It sounds like your hard drive may have died and you must contact HP Customer Assistance or Technical Support for further assistance.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by FNM82 Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Can I reinstall Windows 7? Will that work?
    • Edited by FNM82 Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:06 AM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:06 AM
  • As Rick says that your hard drive is dying, you can't install Windows 7 or any other OS without replacing your hard drive. Besure to recover your data before replacing your hard drive by connecting it to another PC using SATA/IDE to USB Connector.

You might test different system utilities and command such as chkdks /r and see if this can help to fix the issue.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Thank you for yor replies! Great....I'm using my company's computer, and the hard drive is dying on me! GREAT!
    • Edited by FNM82 Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:39 PM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:38 PM
  • There is a big difference between Hardware Compatibility and Hardware Failure.

This forum is for the express purpose of discussing Hardware Compatibility with the Windows 7 operating system.

Hardware failure must be referred to repair technicians since once it fails it is no longer compatible with any operating system!

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I searched more online for answers, and I found out that my company's hard drive is an affected model( Seagate Barracuda drive ST3500620AS). In fact, I ran the diagnostic tools, and everything passed except the hard drive. The error code is: BIOHD-8, and the erros message is: A SMART test failed on the drive. Well, it is time to tell my boss...a great way to finish my internship with the company! I know he will not like to hear this.

Thanks for your reply!

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I talked to my boss, and I'm going to take out the hard drive. Thanks for all your help!!
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:10 PM
  • BIOHD-8 clearly indicates that the problem is with the harddrive and running any dignostics tool will not going to work anymore. However, Sorry to hear what happens with you.

Becarefull next time!!

Thanks

Oliver

Friday, April 06, 2012 4:58 AM
  • OliverGeeky,

My boss bought a new hard drive, and I put it back into the computer. However, when I turn on the computer, I get "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." How can I solve this problem?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Also, when I run the dignostic tool, I pass everything, but I get a warning code BIOHD-3 saying something like no boot drive detected
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Also, when I run the dignostic tool, I pass everything, but I get a warning code BIOHD-3 saying something like no boot drive detected

It's time for you to take the computer to a Repair shop or to HP for diagnostic.  It is obvious that the system has a hardware problem and there is nothing Windows 7 can do to compensate for defective hardware.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:06 PM