none
Windows 8, Black screen . cursor but no login or anything...

Question

• Help!

My laptop has got the black screen, i've been reading other posts but they all mention 'when logging in' or something similar suggesting that there's something to actually see. I never get to the point to be able to see anything, as soon as i turn my computer on it loads a black screen with cursor. no login options, no boot options, no nothing.

Re-installing really needs to be the last attempt as i've got loads of web designs, pictures of my 1yr old boy, and alot of programs. i'll be gutted if i lose all that, especially pics of my boy.

thanks

Shelton

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:51 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

thanks for your efforts, but i ended up giving it to an IT guy i used to work with. he removed the hard drive and saved my pictures etc, and formatted the laptop. Gutted it had to come to that - makes you realise how much we rely on them these days!

If anyone knows of any patches or anything available to prevent it happening again can you shout them out

thanks again

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• SO it did work at some point in the past? Do you get an arrow on the screen? What happens if you press the Windows key?
    Monday, June 17, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

Try booting your computer into safe mode by pressing the shift+F8.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Shift + F8 no longer works in Windows 8.  I dearly hope they bring it back in Windows 8.1.

Jerry

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:51 PM
  • black screen with cursor

That could be what has also been described as "blank screen".   Then some have found that it means the Display is extended and the primary monitor is not being seen.   Try pressing Win-P, CursorUp, Enter?  

Alternatively, if it is really "black", e.g. suggesting a video failure, some have had success by assuming what they would be seeing, and then navigating around in the darkness using Tab, Spacebar, Enter, etc.  Then, if you thought you were on the login screen or knew how to get there, there would be two useful objectives there:  get to the Accessibility button so you could activate Narrator and hear its comforting words,  get to the Shutdown button so you could press Shift-Restart and then get into the Advanced Options menu, hopefully with more luck in the video support department.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:21 AM
  • Shift + F8 no longer works in Windows 8.

I still would like to see a reference for such a feature.   As far as I can tell it is a myth.   Shift-F10 would make more sense because that is what Win-PE supposedly supports for breaking into command mode (when that option isn't disabled by the install).   More credibly there is supposed to be some way of using BCDEdit to at least allow you to take your chances (200 ms window?) with the old F8 technique.

Ref.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/22/designing-for-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx

Found one.  (Thanks for making me find this.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2809468

(Microsoft search for
        bcdedit bootmgr displaybootmenu press f8
    )

So, it's not a "take your chances" option but a real reliable option?

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

You can boot from your installation media and choose repair the computer to access the recovery options. And then, we can add the boot entry with the bcdedit command.

More information, please see:

Windows 8 How To: 20. How to Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/08/win8-howto-20-how-to-start-windows-8-in-safe-mode.aspx

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:03 AM
  • Hi all,

thanks for your efforts, but i ended up giving it to an IT guy i used to work with. he removed the hard drive and saved my pictures etc, and formatted the laptop. Gutted it had to come to that - makes you realise how much we rely on them these days!

If anyone knows of any patches or anything available to prevent it happening again can you shout them out

thanks again

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:47 AM
  • pressing the restart button three times in a row (i wait util after the windows swirl) will prompt win8 to open advanced options from where you can access safe mode  and system restore as well as other tools

i find my pc boots too quickly for f8 or shift + f8 to work and the three restart thing has been a godsend

i am also suffering from the black screen on reboot if i install any nvidia drivers for my gtx660 but it works ok in safe mode and on generic drivers - i have tried everything i can think of including reinstalling windows

another tip is if reinstalling windows archives the old os as windows.old on c: - you can get rid of this by using refresh your pc in advanced options after the install has suceeded

Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:55 PM