none
Problem installing Windows 8 32 bit in VirtualBox VM, getting error 0x0000005D when starting installation program

Question

• I have been trying to install the release version of Windows 8 32 bit in a Virtual Box VM so I can do some testing of our software on a Windows 8 platform as well as get used to where things are in Windows 8.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 CPU in a Dell Vostro 1710 Laptop.

I have turned on all the required Virtualisation and NX options in the bios and currently I am able to run Windows 7 x64 VM's as well as various Linux, Windows XP and PosReady VM's.

From what I can tell from running Coreinfo on the host OS and within a Windows 7 x64 VirtualBox VM, the CPU supports all the required features for Windows 8, VT-x, PAE, SSE2, even NX, though the error 5d that I am getting upon startup of the Windows 8 installation DVD would tend to tell me something different.

The complete error is 'Your PC needs to needs to reboot, Error Code : 0x0000005d Parameters 0x03061706 0x756E6547 0x49656E69 0x6C65746E'.

I have updated to the latest version of VirtualBox, v4.2.10 r84104 but the issue remains. I have also tried using Windows own Virtual PC virtualisation software and get the same error at the same point which tells me that it isn't a virtualisation platform issue but is either some odd compatibility issue with the specific CPU or system I have or a problem with the installation routine for Windows 8. Does anyone know if this is the case ?

I had previously successfully installed the Windows 8 Preview with Apps but that timed out long ago. From what I have read the installation routine was changed with later releases with regards to the NX feature.

Is this a known issue, is there a workaround to this problem as it seems to be quite a common issue if you read the VirtualBox or other virtualisation software forums on the Internet. Is there a definitive list of supported or unsupported CPU's from Microsoft. All I have read is that it should run on the same hardware as Windows 7, which it doesn't in this case.

Any help with this greatly appreciated.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:25 PM

Answers

• I think i have found the solution to this myself after a bit of digging on the Internet,

On the host OS I have gone into System Properties, Advanced, Performance, Properties and on the DEP tab I have changed the setting from 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only' to 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select'.

You then have to restart the machine and then when I fire up VirtualBox and try to install Windows 8 again, voila, it works !!

I am currently installing Windows 8 32 bit in a VirtualBox VM.

• Marked as answer by neilpickles Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:15 PM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:15 PM

All replies

• You must activate PAE/NX Bit in the VirtualBox VM options:

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Thanks for that, I had already checked all the available settings in VirtualBox and it is all enabled as it should be.

I tried running the the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor on the Win 7 Ultimate host OS and got a surprising result.

It reckoned that NX wasn't enabled, but it did confirm that the CPU supported it.

I have also tried running SecurAble from Gibson Research which confirms that hardware NX/DEP support is available, though it doesn't actually tell you whether it is turned on or not.

I have rechecked the BIOS settings and NX is saying it is definitely enabled.

I am thinking that either MS is checking for NX support in some odd, non standard way or I have a Bios issue where it says it is enabled but it isn't doing it quite right.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:15 PM
  • I think i have found the solution to this myself after a bit of digging on the Internet,

On the host OS I have gone into System Properties, Advanced, Performance, Properties and on the DEP tab I have changed the setting from 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only' to 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select'.

You then have to restart the machine and then when I fire up VirtualBox and try to install Windows 8 again, voila, it works !!

I am currently installing Windows 8 32 bit in a VirtualBox VM.

• Marked as answer by neilpickles Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:15 PM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:15 PM
  • ok, thanks for telling us why it failed :)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear your issue has been resolved. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:00 AM