none
Easy Transfer Help! 7 to XP

Question

• I was using the Windows 7 Beta,  I started getting messages saying it would expire in two days.  It would not let me upgrade to the RC(I don't know why?)  So I just figured I would go back to XP, first I backed up my files with Easy Transfer(To External Hard Drive)... It was a success!  I then Installed XP and downloaded Windows Easy Transfer for XP.  Except it does not give me the choice to recover files on my External, it only lets me make new backup files.  If someone could help that would be great!

Thanks in Advance!,
    JayMan221
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:27 PM

Answers

• Jay -

Your first problem (upgrading Beta to RC) is not doable because installing the RC on top of the beta could have resulted in a LOT of issues that would not have shown up. Given the Beta expires in 30 days, and the final product isn't going to be available till the end of October - it's not likely that anyone would be upgrading from the Beta to the final version. Microsoft said they weren't about to track down any of the issues that may have resulted in an upgrade from the Beta to the RC. The only supported upgrade for the RC would have been from a copy of Vista.

There WAS a means to upgrade to the RC from the Beta for those who had no other option - but I'm guessing that by now we're a bit late with that.

Now then, the 2nd problem - Given Easy Transfer (as found on the Windows 7 DVD) is designed to retrieve stuff from different versions of Windows (XP and Vista) and restore them to Windows 7. The program isn't designed to work backwards - i.e. retrieve data from Win 7 and restore it to XP.

Now then, all may not be entirely lost. Which version of the Easy Transfer utility did you use? The one on the Beta DVD (or was installed by the DVD) or the one from the RC?

The likely fix would be to reinstall the version of Win 7 and use the easy transfer utility to restore the data from your backup.

From there, you've got two options:

1.) If you decide to go back to XP, you'll want to do a MANUAL backup of your files - My Documents, Photos, Videos, etc... and then reinstall XP, and manually restore your files.

2.) If you decide to move forward and install the RC afterall, you will NEED to run the Easy Transfer utility found on the RC DVD. DO NOT use the one installed by the Beta. They aren't 100% compatible and you may not be able to restore the data from the version backed up by the older version.

Good luck...
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:04 AM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:20 AM

All replies

• Jay -

Your first problem (upgrading Beta to RC) is not doable because installing the RC on top of the beta could have resulted in a LOT of issues that would not have shown up. Given the Beta expires in 30 days, and the final product isn't going to be available till the end of October - it's not likely that anyone would be upgrading from the Beta to the final version. Microsoft said they weren't about to track down any of the issues that may have resulted in an upgrade from the Beta to the RC. The only supported upgrade for the RC would have been from a copy of Vista.

There WAS a means to upgrade to the RC from the Beta for those who had no other option - but I'm guessing that by now we're a bit late with that.

Now then, the 2nd problem - Given Easy Transfer (as found on the Windows 7 DVD) is designed to retrieve stuff from different versions of Windows (XP and Vista) and restore them to Windows 7. The program isn't designed to work backwards - i.e. retrieve data from Win 7 and restore it to XP.

Now then, all may not be entirely lost. Which version of the Easy Transfer utility did you use? The one on the Beta DVD (or was installed by the DVD) or the one from the RC?

The likely fix would be to reinstall the version of Win 7 and use the easy transfer utility to restore the data from your backup.

From there, you've got two options:

1.) If you decide to go back to XP, you'll want to do a MANUAL backup of your files - My Documents, Photos, Videos, etc... and then reinstall XP, and manually restore your files.

2.) If you decide to move forward and install the RC afterall, you will NEED to run the Easy Transfer utility found on the RC DVD. DO NOT use the one installed by the Beta. They aren't 100% compatible and you may not be able to restore the data from the version backed up by the older version.

Good luck...
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:04 AM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:20 AM
  • In XP, try using the same version of Easy Transfer for Windows 7 that you used for the export.

For transferring from XP to Windows 7, they say you need to use the Windows 7 version of Easy Transfer for the export in XP.  Since this implies that it runs in XP, maybe it will work in "reverse".
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:29 AM
  • I will be using different hd for win7 and then transfer files and settings from xp hd to win7. If I use Easy Transfer to save files and settings to root of the xp drive and then install win7 hard drive as master and xp drive as slave will i be able to use easy transfer to get files and settings from root of xp drive to win7 drive. Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

As long as the file is intact & accessible then it shouldn't be a problem. You may also want to have a look at the tutorial, Windows Easy Transfer I created on www.sevenforums.com if you're unsure about the process. It is for Windows 7 but the process is similar for XP

Hope it helps :)

Jeff
    If anyone is helpfull, please click the 'Vote as helpfull' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Thanks, OS
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Also, sorry for getting back late, you can download Windows Easy Transfer for XP from Microsoft which will make the whole process a lot easier.
    If anyone is helpful, please click the 'Vote as helpful' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:34 AM