none
Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection with Windows 7

Question

• I wonder if anyone else is having issues with Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection with Windows 7 and Server 2008...

I have been running Windows Server 2008 for some time. I have successfully had roaming profiles configured under both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003. This has always worked flawlessly. I was testing and running Windows 7 builds 7000, and 7077 and both seemed to maintain the roaming profiles as expected on the two test laptops. Both machines go on and off my wireless network without issue, but since installing full clean installations of Windows 7 build 7100 I cannot get roaming profiles to work properly. I'm hesitant to change what was working on the server side, but I am wondering if there are some security or performance enhancements to Windows 7 RC1 that is causing this issue. As I said, before my installations they seemed to be working fine.

The current behavior does not show any errors in the event logs however there are warnings indicating that certain GPO settings will require a reboot or logoff... (argh) Shouldn't the workstation know that the policy is either user or computer based and be more specific (but I digress)... In addition, there aren't any infomative entries in the debug logs to indicate an issue or error... Can anyone shed any light on what is happening? It is critical that I maintain the roaming profiles on laptops. 

So far I have changed the GPO setting for synchronous logon, and I have changed the slow link detection to "0"... this should in theory slow down my logon and logoff and allow the roaming profile to be copied to the network roaming profile folder... No? I exported the results of the GPO and all the settings seem appropriate and correct.

The two behaviors that I have identified are;

After logon while "wired" i seemingly logon without a problem (no errors). While "wirelessly"  logging on however, I receive a bubble message telling me that I am logged on with a temporary profile, but the obligatory "Temp" folder that should be created in the "Users" folder does not exist, and all my profile settings are intact... meaning I am getting my locally stored profile, but windows is telling me something different... Is this a change from previous Windows behavior? In either case it will not pull an existing saved profile off the network.

Secondly, Logging off while "wired" will eventually save the profile to the network, but it never "pulls" it when logging back on. Logging on while "wireless" NEVER saves the profile to the network regardless of how many times I log in or out, but there is a roaming profile folder created on the network... In addition, GPUPDATE /force continues to indicate that I need to restart or logoff and that it might take a significant amount of time for this process to complete (I'm parahprasing for brevity)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Stew Basterash
    ME
    Monday, May 04, 2009 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Folks,
    Any update, I'm experiencing similar problems with win 7 rc1,  I get a warning after I logon telling me I am logged on with a temporary profile. In the users folder I can see the temp.mydomain folder. I also see the group policy errors in event viewer regarding certain gpo settings no getitng applied. In addition to this I also see NETLOGON errors around the same time as the GPO errors.  as below, all my domain controllers however are fine and online, and I've disabled the windows firewall temporarily.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PaulD29

Netlogon Error:

TThis computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain mydomain due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator. 

ADDITIONAL INFO
    If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.his computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain SSC due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator. 

ADDITIONAL INFO
    If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.

• Proposed as answer by 47895095 Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:53 AM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Paul,

I still have not received any further detail... However, I have new information.

My previous setup for roaming profiles worked fine for Windows XP and Windows Vista. My real dilemma was to explore the GPO aspect. Do I break what has worked in the past? So, on a whim I decided to recreate the GPO. Once I did this it fixed (partially) the errors I was getting. Once I deleted and recreated the GPO I was able to make the roaming profile work for all the test users. However, my personal roaming profile sitll does not work... curious!

The only difference between me and the other users is that I am running about with an account that is a member of the Domain Admins group. So, I removed myself from this group... That showed no signs of having any effect, although I found some google links to that very problem in Vista... Second, I decided to attempt a new approach... I deleted and recreated my account by copying an existing working user account. I made sure all the security was accurate and the account created the roaming profile directory properly... But, No Joy! My account (less the domain admin membership) is still not roaming... It has come down to my specific piece of hardware. It is an HP Pavillion DV2000 laptop... A bit older, but still very functional with 2.16 GHZ Cenrtino Duo and 2 GB Ram... It runs Windows 7 better than Vista (performance wise).

To your issue, when I go from wired to wireless I am still getting the task tray balloon telling me that I was logged on with a Temporary profile... I think this means that it is using my cached account and this is some sort of code glitch with RC1. But, it is agrivating and confusing because this previously meant that you had no access to your profile and it recreated some base profile based on the "Default user". The result for me is the message and then I have my cached profile... 

I have also found that if I reboot a single time wirelessly (meaning I reboot and establish the Windows Startup while wireless), the message does not appear. The only time I see the message is when my computer is at my desk, hardwired, and then I log off. I then remove the computer from the ethernet connection and go wireless... The first time I log on I get the message as you have indicated above... If I reboot while wireless I go NOT receive the message. 

ME
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, Unfortuneatly I havent had much time to play around with this yet so I've removed my roaming profile and now working fine. Once I have a bit more time to investigate I shall have a look! I don't need to have a roaming profile like my users.

Paul

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Hello Stewart,

Have you been able to resolve your question?  If so please post the answer so others can see or if you need more help let us know.

Thanks

-Scott
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Scott,

Ummm... No.. I was able to resolve the issue but the answer to the problem is still outstanding.

I resolved the original issue by wiping out my profile and recreating it from scratch... In addition, romaing profiles do not work over a wireless connection, regardless of policy changes.

So, I set up romaing profiles in my small office (three servers and around 8 workstations virtual and real), and if I disconnect my laptop from the wired network While wireless I can not update my profile at any time, and if I restart any laptop while off the wired network I get the obligitory... You have been logged in with a temporary profile... Which is NOT the same as with previous Windows Versions messages. On previous Windows builds a temporary profile was created if the local SAM recognized you and logged you in, but for some reason the profile associated with your User SID could not be loaded properly.. Hence, you would get a "Default User" priofile and the message would tell you that if you make changes they will NOT be saved when you log out... It would then create a "Temp" user under the "Users" or "Documents and Settings" folder depending on the OS flavor...

I have also stared to see similar results on a stand alone workstation that I built while wired, then placed a wirelss LAN adapter in later. Now, while untethered it allows logon, it authenticates properly, but it does not appear to get "computer based" policy from AD... I believe that the wireless connectivity in Windows 7 is not complete, or there are some AD setting that I am missing... I've tried every blog suggestion and recommended setting in a Server 2008 environment... No joy! Funny things happen when Windows 7 detects a wireless network adapter... Offline files gets enabled and all sorts of features that wouldn't necessarly be important for an untethered workstation on a secured LAN... Like a KIOSK, or anything of that nature...

I sure hope MS gets this all fixed before the scheduled release...

Stew Basterash
    ME
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:34 PM
  • I am also getting an issue with "temporary profiles" on Win7 RC. When I turn on the computer and login, I get a temp profile first. I have to log out, then login again to get my normal profile. (I'm not on a domain)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I do not have any direct experince with W7 but have had lots of problems with roaming profiles with Vista and wireless connections.

Firstly wireless. The network connection has to be up and running before you logon at the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen so the PC can authenticate with the DC and acquire the computer portions of group policy. Some of the third party wireless config programs (esp Belkin) don't start the wirless connection up until after you have logged on. To avoid this, switch to the Windows Zero config tool as this will start the network connection up before logon. On older, slower PCs, you may need to allow an extra 30 secs or so after Crtl-Alt-Del appears for the wireless connection to start up and during this period you will see a bit of extra hour glass activity going on.

Now the Vista issues. What a nightmare! Hope they have fixed this stuff in W7 or once again, nobody is going to want to deploy it in corporate environments. First, Vista roaming profile are not interoperable with XP roaming profiles so if you have a mixed evironment, you have my sympathy as you are in for a world of pain! This alone makes deployment in an large existing W2K/XP network an absolute nightmare and is in my opinion one of the primary reasons for poor takeup of Vista in corporate environments. This however will not stop proper profile synchronisation but will just mean that XP machines can only roam to other XP machines and likewise for Vista systems. However, what regularly stops them synchronising is anything that stops the user registry hive in the profile from unloading from memory when you log off. In particular, recent versions of both NVidia and ATI graphics drivers cause this problem. In order to stop it you need to stop the appropriate services using MSCONFIG or Services snap-in. In the case of the NVidia Graphics systems the service is NVSVC.dll and for ATI it is the External Event Service you need to disable. In both cases, disabling these services does not seem to have any adverse effect. I have had this issue on at least half the Vista systems I have put in to Domain environments. Microsoft, NVidia and ATI are fully aware of the issue which did not occur on earlier driver versions but to my knowledge they have not fixed it yet even though they have got WHQL certification - how is this possible when there is such a fundamental issue??? Clearly not properly tested!

And finally, Click Once applications. These are fundamentally incompatible with roaming profiles. Their programs and code live entirely within the non-roaming portion of a user's profile. As such, neither they, their data or their settings will not roam and the application must have a separate install for every user on every PC they use. This can then give all sorts of permissions issues that stop them working if the users are not administrators on the client PC (not really ideal in a secure corporate network). So, not too much joined up thinking occured here when this system was developed and I know at least one software vendor that is totally redeveloping their app as an MSI package because of the insurmountable problems it has caused them in roaming profile environments. There are some ways of fiddling it to make them roam on XP but for Vista, forget it because it requires an impossibly complex and impractical string of permissions changes and moving of files to make it work.

I hope this helps with your problem but at least you can rule these issues out if not and see if you have any other drivers/services that could be holding the user registry hive open and not letting it unload from memory at logoff. I would like to bet it will be something like this that is causing your issue.

Regards

Machine_Silver
    MCSE 2000/2003

Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:43 AM
  • I'm also having similar problems - I'm running a Windows 2003 domain that has been hosting Windows 2000, XP, Vista and now Windows 7 roaming profiles and folder redirection for years.  I had noticed the odd failure to update roaming profiles over wireless connections here and there but it wasn't really a big problem for me.  However, I just upgraded a laptop that has been running with no issues on Vista Ultimate - to Windows 7 Ultimate.  Everything there was working great until I logged on with a roaming profile - and then logged off.  It took me 12 minutes to log off!  It ALWAYS takes 12 minutes to log off - extremely consistent.  This is an Acer T5500 laptop with wireless N connections (at 300 MBps) through a dual-band Linksys wireless router about 25 feet away.  I have tested copying large files (about 10 MB/s), small files (about 768KB/s) and have even copied the whole profile folder manually - and it all copies in less than 3 minutes, worst case using the largest profile I can find (about 50 MB).  No problems there.

I log in with the roaming profile (which takes about 90 seconds - longer than Vista) and then I log out and wait for 12 minutes...obviously not acceptable.  I connected to a hard-wire and tried again - now it's about 50 seconds to log in and 2.5 minutes to log off (still too long).  If I log on to a NETBOOK (SU3500 processor), it takes less than 2 minutes to log off wirelessly - connected to the same router.  I created a fresh account with a roaming profile - it takes about 1.5 minutes to log off and save wirelessly...still pretty slow. 

I have reinstalled Windows on the machine twice - same problem.  I'm using the final release of Windows 7, by the way...this is driving me crazy. It will justify removing Windows 7 and forcing me back to Vista, which I never expected to encounter! 

Microsoft, are you hearing these comments...something needs to be done!
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Well,

Guess what? The problems still hasn't gone away... I have the latest release of Windows 7 installed FRESH. It is visually faster than the release candidate probably because MS removed all the debug code in Windows 7... however I am still having the same problems with redirection, and roaming profiles...

The things I know:

1) Roaming profiles will not work if you are using ANY kind of administrative account. Don't even bother testing with an account like this.
    2) Roaming profiles act screwy when logging in or out wirelessly... sometimes work sometimes not, with no indication one way or another.
    3) Event logs don't seem to indicate that anything ever goes wrong... curious???
    4) I still get the damn bubble popup that tells me that I'm being logged on with a temporary profile regardless if I have a local profile cached or NOT... WTF!

This is some ____! Really, If my responsibility is users profiles in a corporate environment I hope the MS licensing agreemenet comes with a membership to the "Men's Club" cause were all going to be pulling our hair out!!!

Argh!

ME
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Hi Stewart,

The problem with the Temporary account has an answer since Vista and Server 2008.
    If you need to delete a profile don't forget to delete the subkey from registry: 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

So, once you delete the profile from  C:\Users go to the registry and delete any subkey which is relevant to your account.

In your case I see that you recreated your account so the SID is different that's why I suggest to delete all relevant Domain Users created in C:\Users and then all the subkey created in registry; don't delete the Local Admin subkey.

The Roaming Profiles is still an issue with Windows 7....mee2 working to get it right.
    • Proposed as answer by ZeroHour Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:13 AM

I'm not sure we are on the same page...

Windows Bubbles a warning that... "Your profile could NOT be found... You are being logged on with a Temporary Profile". Why would I want to delete a profile SID from the from the ProfileList? I actually want my Existing profile to be loaded if I am on or off-line...

Traditionally, Windows keeps the SID of the profile in two places. The WindowsNT\ProfileGUID is tha actual link to the profiles in c:\users (i.e. the actual user accounts where a profile has been created), and the WindowsNT\ProfileList subkey stores all the users who have ever logged onto Windows. These two keys are supposed to match (with some adminstrative differences) Removing the ProfileList key will simply tell Windows that NOBODY has ever logged on. which would log me on with a temporary profile anyway wouldn't it? I'm assuming that you are saying that if I remove the ProfileList user SIDS it will create a new key there when I log in, hence Windows will start the user profile creation process, and then say... "Hey, there is an acutal user account with that SID", in the WindowsNT\ProfileGUID key and use that profile... I'm assuming that, Windows will NOT bubble the message during that process...

The question then becomes... What happens the second time after the key gets created? Perhaps this REG HACK" works, but it is confounding to have to go into the registry and delete keys to make something that has been in place and working since WindowsNT 3.51...  

The problem is NOT that Windows doesn't load the profile that exists when I'm off-line... The problem is Windows Ballooning the message that I am being logged on with a temporary profile. Users who go mobile with their laptops get this message and it tells them things potentially aren't working!

The Wireless issue is obvious... If the wireless connectivity is NOT there at the login prompt there is no way for LSA to contact the domain and get a response. This should be a warning to those who purchase hardware for a corporate environment to make sure that the wireless hardware comes up internally early in the process...

Stew 
    ME
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Hi Stew,

I was just referring to the case when someone deletes a profile from C:\Users (like we're used in XP to reset a profile) and next time when he logs in gets the Temporary error Ballon. At first after having so many problems I deleted the account completely from the Domain and then recreated again...but after I logged into the same machine I had the same error with temporary account ballon because obviously the SID changed and the new account couldn't be recognized (it had the same user name); I thought you had the same problem when you deleted the account and then recreated.

Mee2 I have huge problems with Roaming Profiles, and redirecting My Documents to a network drive ( Error 1327) and after reading so much I think that at the moment there is no quick and clear solution to this...we should just wait for some updates.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Don't delete user profiles from the C:\Users directory instead goto Start > right click Computer > properties

On the left handside choose Advanced System settings (possibly provide admin credentials), in the following popup is a section called User Profiles > click settings.

Next you get a list of all user profiles present in the C:\Users folder. Here you can choose the profiles to delete.

Using this way ensures that all user settings are deleted including any registry settings associated with the deleted profile.

To come back to the original problem of temp profiles when logging on wireless, there's a GPO setting to wait for the network before logging on. Did you turn that on?

You can find it at:

"Computer Configuration\Policíes\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

This setting is also available on workgroup machines through gpedit.msc
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

Deleting profiles from the Users folder has never been a proper way of deleting profiles... I understand using the "user profiles" tab is the correct way of doing this... In addition, the GPO for waiting for wireless again has been implemented and discussed inthe previous threads...

Sorry...
    ME
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:35 PM
  • Hi everyone,
    I was experiencing exactly the same issue.

As with Server 2003, I ensured the "Do not Check for user ownership of Roaming Profile folders" group policy setting was enabled in my Default Domain Policy and also ensured "Add the Administrators Security Group to Roaming User Profiles" was enabled.

This out of the way, I was still experiencing the Temporary Profile issue with Windows 7.

I deleted my profiles the "dirty" way as listed above by simply deleting the folder. Had a look in the registry and found the key in my HKLM Profile List so deleted it. Checked the WOW64 keys and couldn't see the profile listed so all good. I will definitely use the System Control Panel Applet from now on.

Now, the bizarre thing that I believe fixed it. I was doing a lab on Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite and had to disable the Windows Firewall to push the install out. Got it installed and working with the firewall component on.

I created a Default User.v2 in my Netlogon share as well and created my folders manually with modify permissions for the user only. If you are doing this as well, we might be onto a track here.

Now, since disabling Windows Firewall and using the 3rd party firewall with special file sharing rules, my roaming user profile works.

Symptoms seem to be pointing to either:
    - A new group policy setting / behaviour
    - A new component in Windows Firewall that needs tweaking

Those still experiencing issues, I would recommend disabling the Windows Firewall service on your client as a test and seeing if it works.

Keep me posted and if I suss it out I'll let you know, every bit of help on here has been a life saver!
    Aussie Tech
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:10 PM
  • I am also experiencing major problems with Windows 7 Workstation in a 2003 Domain with roaming user profiles. I get assigned a temporary profile. I am also unable to copy a profile to the netlogon server share using the copy to method by renaming the default profile temporarily and putting my profile inplace. I'm not sure whats going on? Sometimes I wonder if Microsoft actually tests their features before they deploy the software.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 11:29 PM
  • I'm not sure how your are copying the default user?

The way I do it is:
    Create a local user so that group policy does not apply.
    Log on as that user and set it up the way I want.
    Clear all recent programs lists and recent docs, internet history etc
    Shutdown and reboot
    Log on as an administrator and from the System Properties > Advanced tab I click User Profiles
    I then click on my default user login I created and click Copy to
    When it asks me where to copy to I say \\mydomaincontroller\netlogon\default user and set permissions to everyone.
    If I'm creating a Vista or above default user when I tell it the path for the default user, i type the same path with .v2 at the end.

Is this how you're doing it?
    Aussie Tech
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:58 PM
  • I had some odd issues with Roaming profiles when trialling windows 7.

I was getting the temporary profile issue despite being able to find and browse the old profile in the share etc. What I stumbled across is that in the profile folder windows 7 shoudl create a .V2 folder which contains the newer Windows 7 profile alongside the existing XP/2000 compatible one.

The reason I found this wasn't being created is the profile path on the user's account was '\\server\share\user.name' which works fine for XP profiles. However it doesn't seem to work for windows 7 ones, but simply adding a \ to the end to give the path as '\\server\share\user.name\' works perfectly and it auto creates the .V2 subfolder and profile directory structure within it. (don't ask me where this inspiration came from, probably too much faffing on Linux which is really picky about this kind of stuff.) My guess is the script that creates the subdirectory cannot accept a path that IS a directory itself.

So in order to migrate a profile I would use the Microsoft Users and settings migration tool if possible (else manual copypasta) to migrate the settings to a new local profile. Then add the profile path to the user's account and log on/log off. It SHOULD then copy that local cached profile to the .V2 folder in their roaming profile. Failing that you now have a working roaming profile and can at least do it manually.

There are still some annoyances with profiles that make this harder that I would like to voice however:
    It seems the .V2 folder is created with permissions to the user's AD account and system only. So you can't do the documents/settings/favs migration on the server from their XP profile. No other accounts have any permissions whatsoever by default (not even view the current permissions). That can be gotten round by taking ownership of .V2 and re-doing the permissions so domain admins have full control and the user has special/modify allowing you to manage the profiles, (or you could log in as the user themselves and browsing to .V2 on the server and setting permissions, if you have access to their password or have them sat next to you) but it's far from elegant even if you did manage to script it all neatly.

You can't manually create a folder called .V2, it throws up a file naming error. I've not tried using a third party tool to create the folder or doing it via script yet. This might make life easier perhaps as creating the folder prior to first login allows you to set permissions how you want and copy data across folder to folder much like you would do for XP profiles if you do it manually without 3rd party AD management tools. I'm assuming you must be able to do this somehow as windows does it when you first run it, I suspect it's just an explorer thing not liking dot as a leading character and I'm sure it can be gotten around.
    • Proposed as answer by Ross Goonan Monday, June 07, 2010 5:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:27 PM
  • To all,

As I'm writing this I am at a remote location with my laptop and I've just seen the information bubble that tells me there is something wrong with my roaming profile and I am being logged on with a temporary profile... and yet... everything is in tact... curious!

Anyway, the problems with roaming profiles are not unique to Windows 7 however the roaming profile issue has been compounded in Windows 7 by virtue of the changes from WinXP to Vista/Windows 7 ".v2" implementation. In the past I have been able to seperate out much of the profile and give the "traveling user" what they need... I can still do this, but it now comes down to defining the paths to the "default" Libraries... This is different, but the same.

As for the access rights and needing to take ownership on the roaming profiles on the server side, one needs to make sure you set the Root folder security options properly. This will avoid the hassle of having to take ownership and make a mess out of the permissions on the server side.

The problems with roaming profiles from the workstation side of things was obviously not in the scope of Windows 7. Perhaps a subsequent patch will fix the bubbling of dummy messages that are not true and only serve to create help desk calls when a remote user thinks he/she has done something wrong...

Overall I have to say that Windows 7 is much improved from its predecessor... 
    ME
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:04 PM
  • I have this same issue PLUS items.
    Wanted to point everyone to a topic I created where I'm trying to find a resolution.
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/File_Servers/Active_Directory/Q_25338640.html

I did want to ask here, is anyone getting the problem I'm having with IE history data not being saved?

Hey you can check the above link or also check this as this would force the temp profile:
    "I may have found the problem to issue 1 and 2 myself.  I found we have a GPO that sets this enabled:
    Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/User Profiles/Delete cached copies of roaming profiles"
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Has anyone looked over the Vista guide?  They talk about the "difficulties".  I'm looking it over now and if I find some answers I'll repost them.

Managing Roaming Users Data from M$

What I needed to do was this:

2k & XP folder:  \\server\profileshare\enduserfolder

Create a new folder called \\server\profileshare\enduserfolder.v2
    Apply permissions, don't inhereit, delete "authenticated users", add your end loser up to "modify"...full if you really want to
    Log on
    Log off
    Log on

Done, it creates the profile and uses that new .v2 folder without incident.  Apparently Vista and Win 7 use that .v2 profile folder path.  Good idea, you guys at M$ are slick ;-)

SYG
    • Proposed as answer by washington64 Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:41 PM
  • I am not sure if this will help some of you but it's worth a mention.

I have found several issues with Vista and Seven all of which pertain to Stereoscopic 3D being enabled.

The biggest issue I see is the Bubbles Screen Saver, but it appears in other areas intermittantly as well.

I found, by entering the NVIDIA control panel, and disabling the Stereoscopic 3D the Bubbles Screen Saver imedialy works again without a reboot (Vista/Seven all versions). Then again without rebooting, going back and re-enabling it will immediately recreate the issue.

I also found on one windows Vista Home premium machine the that a wireless driver (no wireless adapters installed) would not release control untill I disabled Stereoscopic 3D and then refreshed the windsock again. This I associate to user error as the source, improperly installing a driver for something not there, and then improperly removing it, but I fought it several times untill I disabled Steroscopic 3D so I mention it for that reason.

I have not tried the same with ATi as of yet. Also, I am not sure if it is DirectX/DirectDraw/Direct3D/OpenGL related, or strickly NVIDIA. I do have a feeling it is in the use of DirectX or related to it by any video driver that enables Stereoscopic 3d just by the occasional other anomolies that occure, which can clear easily with restarting the program or explorer itself.

I have not been able to find any details on any MS site to correct the problem, let alone address a source of the issue, or the issue itself, as I have here.

I do however found thousands of paniced users bitching at MS for something they know nothing about, searching the net for answers.

Any notice to the public of this issue would be of great help, I get a couple calls a week on this one with more and more people discovering the use of Stereoscopic 3D.....

Enjoy....

Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:40 PM
  • I found the same issue.

If the user has a backslash at the end of their profile path,
    I.e. \\server\Users\%username%\profile\
    Then they get profile\.v2

If the user does not have a backslash at the end of their profile path,
    i.e. \\server\Users\%username%\profile
    Then they get profile.v2

For the permission problem we use a vbscript after it's created.

Option Explicit
    Dim Path, Domain, Act, strInput, Display
    Path = "D:\Users\"
    Domain = "MyDomain\"
    Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

If WScript.Arguments.Count = 0 then
        strInput = InputBox( "Enter the UserID for which you wish to reset permissions. i.e. jdoe:" )
        Display = 1
    Else
        strInput = WScript.Arguments(0)
        Display = 0
    End If
    Act.Run("takeown /f " & Path & strInput & " /r /d y"),Display,True
    Act.Run("icacls " & Path & strInput & " /reset /t"),Display,True
    Act.Run("icacls " & Path & strInput & " /grant:r " & Domain & "administrator:(OI)(CI)F" _
                                   & " /grant:r SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F" _
                                   & " /grant:r " & Domain & strInput & ":(OI)(CI)F /t"),Display,True
    Act.Run("icacls " & Path & strInput & " /setowner " & Domain & strInput & " /t"),Display,True

If Display = 1 Then
        WScript.Echo "Permissions fixed for " & strInput
    End If

' Clean Up
    Set Act = Nothing
    Set strInput = Nothing

Monday, June 07, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Hi Stewart,

Regarding your Windows 7 profile issue.  Have you disabled fastlogon via GPO.  You can find it under Computer > Policies > Admin Templates > System/Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon.  They mention this is for XP and 2003 systems but I'd imagine Windows 7 is carrying this over but can't find any proof that it is...honestly I just googled quickly and didn't see anything.  No time for technet now. 

This will initialize your network connections (both wired and wireless) once you get to the logon screen.  Remember to use Windows built-in wifi management and this may help solve your problem. 

Hope this helps. 

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:42 PM
  • RC1 has issues with NT4. Upgrade from Nt4 or install a different release.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Hi All,

If your Problem has been Resolved then very well otherwise you can use my technique to make Roaming profile success in windows7 with win2003 Server.

First Download Tool (x86fre_GRMRSAT_MSU) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d2f6ad7-656b-4313-a005-4e344e43997d&displaylang=en and Install it on one win7 client Computer and configure it according to Microsoft. after that go to win2003 Domain Group Policy Editor, computer-administrative templates-system-user profiles and Enable "Leave Windows Installer & Group policy Software Installation and Wait for Remote User Profile. After that Login on win7 computer profile will be load then logoff and login with administrator account and delete that roaming profile from my computer property- advance system setting-click on profile and delete it. Then log off and again login with those profile which you have deleted profile will be load from server again do log off and login with administrator account and delete those roaming profile from c:\user and log off from administrator account and login using those account which you have deleted then it will show after login you have login with Temp profile and your files will not be present there then restart system in safe mode go to "start-run-regedit-hkey local machine-software-microsoft-windowsNT-current version-profileList-and select any value in left side after Expanding profileList it will show a user name in right side with other value then delete left side value which contain that user name which you have deleted earlier from C:\ user and Restart computer in normal mode and Now you will be able to togin with that User with all Data which you have deleted earlier and there is not any error like You have Loged in Temp Profile.

Enjoy

MD.Shahid

(MCSA, CCNA, ISMS)

Monday, August 09, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Great Man, Really you are genius, i was facing this problem last 1year but nobody provide me   solution for roaming profile in win7 with win2k3.

Thanks again

John, IT Manager at california

Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Had alot of the issues mentioned above.

Fix for me was where we stored the roaming profiles.  Our file server was linux based and Windows 7 did not like it as we were getting the bubble with the temp profile message.  I then moved the test users profile to a Server 2000 file storage box and got the same warning.  However, once I moved the test users profile to a Server 2003 box the issue was resolved.  

Hope this helps anyone beating their heads against the wall as I was.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:00 PM
  • This is exactly what was causing the issue for me and after trying lots of different things noticed on a shared profile the permissions were inherited from the first user to log on and all following users had no writes to the profile, as such a temp.domainname folder was loaded.
    I had some odd issues with Roaming profiles when trialling windows 7.

I was getting the temporary profile issue despite being able to find and browse the old profile in the share etc. What I stumbled across is that in the profile folder windows 7 shoudl create a .V2 folder which contains the newer Windows 7 profile alongside the existing XP/2000 compatible one.

The reason I found this wasn't being created is the profile path on the user's account was '\\server\share\user.name' which works fine for XP profiles. However it doesn't seem to work for windows 7 ones, but simply adding a \ to the end to give the path as '\\server\share\user.name\' works perfectly and it auto creates the .V2 subfolder and profile directory structure within it. (don't ask me where this inspiration came from, probably too much faffing on Linux which is really picky about this kind of stuff.) My guess is the script that creates the subdirectory cannot accept a path that IS a directory itself.

So in order to migrate a profile I would use the Microsoft Users and settings migration tool if possible (else manual copypasta) to migrate the settings to a new local profile. Then add the profile path to the user's account and log on/log off. It SHOULD then copy that local cached profile to the .V2 folder in their roaming profile. Failing that you now have a working roaming profile and can at least do it manually.

There are still some annoyances with profiles that make this harder that I would like to voice however:
    It seems the .V2 folder is created with permissions to the user's AD account and system only. So you can't do the documents/settings/favs migration on the server from their XP profile. No other accounts have any permissions whatsoever by default (not even view the current permissions). That can be gotten round by taking ownership of .V2 and re-doing the permissions so domain admins have full control and the user has special/modify allowing you to manage the profiles, (or you could log in as the user themselves and browsing to .V2 on the server and setting permissions, if you have access to their password or have them sat next to you) but it's far from elegant even if you did manage to script it all neatly.

You can't manually create a folder called .V2, it throws up a file naming error. I've not tried using a third party tool to create the folder or doing it via script yet. This might make life easier perhaps as creating the folder prior to first login allows you to set permissions how you want and copy data across folder to folder much like you would do for XP profiles if you do it manually without 3rd party AD management tools. I'm assuming you must be able to do this somehow as windows does it when you first run it, I suspect it's just an explorer thing not liking dot as a leading character and I'm sure it can be gotten around.

• Proposed as answer by Mandatory Monday, November 15, 2010 1:39 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:43 PM
  • There is a windows update that makes the roaming profile not work. the update is KB980232 try uninstalling it and see if that helps. I work for a local News Paper and we use app. programs that will only work if you have a roaming profile. this fixed our problem some years ago. now that we have new windows 7 computers it was doing the same thing that you are having problems with. once we uninstalled it every thing works good.
    Friday, December 03, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Whoa... thats a lot of info... As a guess... Depending on the secuirty you use for Wireless determines if the network starts before or after the user logs on... From memory you need to use WPA2-Enterprise for the comptuer to establish the wireless link before the user logs on... Just thinking that if the Wireless is not starting until after the user logs on this could cause the issue with it not loading the profile.

Just an idea...

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Has anyone looked over the Vista guide?  They talk about the "difficulties".  I'm looking it over now and if I find some answers I'll repost them.

Managing Roaming Users Data from M$

What I needed to do was this:

2k & XP folder:  \\server\profileshare\enduserfolder

Create a new folder called \\server\profileshare\enduserfolder.v2
    Apply permissions, don't inhereit, delete "authenticated users", add your end loser up to "modify"...full if you really want to
    Log on
    Log off
    Log on

Done, it creates the profile and uses that new .v2 folder without incident.  Apparently Vista and Win 7 use that .v2 profile folder path.  Good idea, you guys at M$ are slick ;-)

SYG

charles washington
    • Edited by washington64 Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:42 PM i need laptop instalation,not workin properelyy
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:34 PM
  • I was having the same problem with the roaming profiles and found the same issue as Stewart_Bash on Monday May 04 2009 2:47 PM the original question.

I have tested the comment from Bas van der Kruijssen on Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:17 AM by creating a new domain with 2 new Windows 7 computers and 1new  Windows XP computer.

The Windows XP does not show any issues with the roaming profile. The Windows 7 machines however look like they corrupt the profile after loging on a few times.

This is not due to the mixed environment as 2 profiles are created, 1 for XP and 1 for Win7

I changed the GPO like Bas van der Kruijssen mentioned, quote:

"there's a GPO setting to wait for the network before logging on. Did you turn that on?    You can find it at:

"Computer Configuration\Policíes\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

This solved my problem in the test environment, however I had to update the GPO on the desktops with the command  "GpUpdate /force"

Thanks Bas!!!

Yryk

• Proposed as answer by chillytee Friday, May 20, 2011 5:19 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:56 PM
  • I too was experiencing the same or similar problems with roaming and mandatory profiles on windows 7 machines. We currently have a Windows 2003 domain with multiple operating systems (WinXP and Win7). After 2-3 months of research, testing and countless hours on the phone with Microsoft I finally got it to work using the following information which is a brief summarization of the process but includes articles and links with more detailed and step by step information. I know what everyone will say "this is a ridiculous process to get roaming profiles to work" and I agree, nevertheless it resolved my problem.

Setting up a roaming or mandatory profile using windows 7

(Please refer to article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289)

·         Unlike WinXP you will need to run sysprep in order to create a default user profile. The default user profile is copied from the local Administrator’s profile when sysprep is run. The default profile can then be copied to the server. (For more info regarding sysprep see article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766049.aspx).

·         Prior to running the sysprep you will need to create a unattend.xml answer file. To do this you will need to use the Windows System Image Manager (WSIM) for windows 7. This tool is included in the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK). See the following articles: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349343.aspx and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744394(ws.10).aspx . To create an answerfile that contains the Copy Profile parameter you must open a Windows Image (.wim) or catalog (.clg) file in WSIM. (To do this follow article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744253(WS.10).aspx. This parameter must be set to “true” in the specialize pass. Once the answer file is created follow the steps to run sysprep located in (%systemroot%\system32)  from the command prompt using the following command: \sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot /generalize /unattend:c:\answerfile \unattend.xml.

·         After sysprep is run you can now log onto the computer with an account that has administrative credentials and follow the instructions from article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289 on “How to turn the default user profile into network default user profile in Windows 7”. Then follow the instructions on “How to turn the default user profile into a mandatory user profile in Windows 7”.

·         Note: If you are in a multi windows environment such as WinXP and Windows 7 you will need to create two folders for the profiles. WinXP will be named student (ex. \\servername\profiles\student) and Windows 7 profile will be named student.v2 (ex. \\servername\profiles\student.v2).

Note: If there are any group policy settings being applied or running such as application installs you may need to disable these GP objects from executing, this can cause problems especially if those GP settings and apps are not compatible with Windows 7.

• Proposed as answer by chillytee Friday, May 20, 2011 5:37 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 5:32 PM
  • I've been having similar issues with roaming profiles on Win 7 in a Windows Server 2003 environment. We've managed to fix the "temporary profile" problem, but now when users log on they sometimes get the message "Windows could not find a copy of  your profile on the server and is attempting to log you in with a local profile saved previously" (or something to that effect, I'm translating from French). This issue happens seemingly randomly; one day the user can log in just fine, a couple of days later Windows can't connect to the profile on the server. To fix this I have to remove the computer from the domain and then add it back to the domain again (sometimes I have to delete the computer's entry in Active Directory); but the solution is only temporary - in a day or two the profile isn't working again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and more importantly, found a permanent solution?

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:23 PM

•  

I've been having similar issues with roaming profiles on Win 7 in a Windows Server 2003 environment. We've managed to fix the "temporary profile" problem, but now when users log on they sometimes get the message "Windows could not find a copy of  your profile on the server and is attempting to log you in with a local profile saved previously" (or something to that effect, I'm translating from French). This issue happens seemingly randomly; one day the user can log in just fine, a couple of days later Windows can't connect to the profile on the server. To fix this I have to remove the computer from the domain and then add it back to the domain again (sometimes I have to delete the computer's entry in Active Directory); but the solution is only temporary - in a day or two the profile isn't working again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and more importantly, found a permanent solution?

Samantha, we had the same issue with our server 2008 and Server 2003 cross platforum domain. To remedy the issue that you are havign we had to increase the login timeout. The Client machines where logging in too fast and the connection for the profile was failing to load the entire profile.

Another solution we used for this is created and separeted the user profiles, so all user documents ect we setup a GPO on the Server 2008 that redirects users documents and files they change to a user profile folder on the Server example ...  John.Doe  (This is done at login by the user, both are made) Then with Server 2008 Manageing folder redirection and userprofiles when a user logs in their profile creates John.Doe.V2    V2 is so they can load cross platforum without profile corruptions. We managed to utalize this in solving this issue. Sure there are 2 locations for a single user profile, however this keeps the data needed to load at login seperate from that of the users. Thus reducing the time needed to login. After login the user profiels sycronize automatically and the user just see Welcome... Loading profile... and then their on their jolly way.

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Thanks Bsharpe, but I have to ask: how fast is "too" fast? The user profiles do take about a minute (sometimes even two) to load before it gives us the "cannot find a server copy of your profile" error...

We might have found a solution on our own, so I'll share it here for anyone else who might happen along: we have a problem with saturation in our domain and have to delete computers from Active Directory as we deploy Win 7 over XP... turns out that our DNS was über-saturated, and many computers were sharing an IP address; no wonder the machines couldn't load anything from the server! In any case we've cleaned up a fair bit, and everything seems to be running smoothly now; only time will tell, though!

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:58 PM
  • After reading many post and getting no result, I solve the problem just by reading some more and getting some hint. I read someone metioning active directory so that's what I did.

1) I went to the server where active directory resides.

2) went to the user's account (properties) then mine to compare the two.

3) I clicked on profile. (we use home folder instead of user profile)

4) in user profile I saw that the profile path was mapped in there instead of being in the home folder with the connect mapping. I cut the mapping and then went to the home foler selected connect f: to then pasted the mapping that I cut before. clicked apply then rebooted the computer and logged as the user......

dont know if im making sense however we have a server where all the users profile are located and we called them the f drives. then we map it in the profile part of the user in active directory.

5) problem was gone.

rafael
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 10:14 PM
  • I am having the temp profile problem still. I can log onto a XP machine and get a profile just fine but what i log in as win 7 it creates the .v2 profile folder but there is nothing inside

I have tried so many different things but nothing seems to be a fix for this problem. As of now we are upgrading a lot of computer labs with Win7 but no one can get their profiles. THOUGHTS?? 

Friday, December 16, 2011 4:26 PM
  • I'm in the same situation - SBS Essentials 2011 server with 4 Windows 7 Pro(x64) SP1 workstations, 1 Vista Pro, and 1 XP Pro. I can't get the profiles to roam to anything except the XP box. The user's home folder is visible under Computer on the Win7/Vista MAchines, but despite setting up the Folder redirection GPO and pointing all user profiles to the user share on the server, the profile data won't migrate. I've seen allusions in different places about an NVIDIA driver being a problem, but I don't have any NVIDIA drivers on my machines as near as I can tell. Suggestions?
    Monday, January 02, 2012 9:03 PM