none
USB Mice "recognized" but not working.

Question

• I have Win 7 64bit version on my laptop, I have a wireless Moblie Mouse 300 and an older Basic USB Optical mouse. Both have been tested on a number of other mahines with XP and Win 7. All work fine except for my primary laptop.

Both mice are recognized, the system knows what they are and finds drivers and installs them and everything just fine. But I can't use them, they don't move the pointer...

Strangely these devices appear mostly in the Device Manager under the section "HID" rather than "Mice and other pointing devices"; they are named correctly however. One time, just once I somehow had the wireless Mobile Mouse 300 appear under "Mice and other pointing devices"; of course it still didn't work.

I've tried unstalling and installing a variety of drivers, searched in vain to see if for some reason they "conflicted" with the Synaptic touchpad drivers (which is unlikely because these devices have been tested on a number of laptops with no conflict).

Ofcourse I've tried all 3 USB ports.Help!

Thanks

Monday, July 05, 2010 8:50 PM

Answers

• I suggest you reinstall the USB controller drivers.

Use the Mouse
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest you download the latest IntelliPoint if you are using Microsoft wireless mouse.

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Hardware - Download Software

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:35 AM

All replies

• <qqg3> wrote in message news:6a8fa957-706a-4cef-992f-2638ce1c9ff7@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have Win 7 64bit version on my laptop, I have a wireless Moblie Mouse 300 and an older Basic USB Optical mouse. Both have been tested on a number of other mahines with XP and Win 7. All work fine except for my primary laptop.

Both mice are recognized, the system knows what they are and finds drivers and installs them and everything just fine. But I can't use them, they don't move the pointer...

Strangely these devices appear mostly in the Device Manager under the section "HID" rather than "Mice and other pointing devices"; they are named correctly however. One time, just once I somehow had the wireless Mobile Mouse 300 appear under "Mice and other pointing devices"; of course it still didn't work.

I've tried unstalling and installing a variety of drivers, searched in vain to see if for some reason they "conflicted" with the Synaptic touchpad drivers (which is unlikely because these devices have been tested on a number of laptops with no conflict).

Ofcourse I've tried all 3 USB ports.Help!

Thanks

Are the drivers you're using for a 64-bit OS? Have you tried your notebook manufacturer's web site for any updated Win7-64 hardware drivers, such as motherboard, chipset, etc.? Have you tried disabling the Synaptic touch pad in Control Panel, Mouse, Device Settings just to see if there may be a conflict?

SC Tom

Monday, July 05, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Checked and the 64bit drivers are in use and up to date. It won't let me disable the touch pad, the button is greyed out...

Heres how my device manager looks; clearly the system doesn't recognize that my USB mouse is actually a mouse...

Heres a screenshot; http://i46.tinypic.com/4hy3aq.jpg

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 8:31 PM
  • I suggest you reinstall the USB controller drivers.

Use the Mouse
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest you download the latest IntelliPoint if you are using Microsoft wireless mouse.

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Hardware - Download Software

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:35 AM
  • I'm having the same problem as qqg3.  The only difference is I used to have this dell hooked up to my docking station and the mouse worked fine through that.  However, this is the first time I've undocked it since getting it and the mouse will say the drivers have been succesfully installed, the optical light is on, but will not work.  It's a wired mouse.

Have tried Mr. Xie's suggestion to no avail.  We have another Dell here that is the same make/model and the mouse works just fine on it.  The machine is barely 2 weeks old

• Proposed as answer by compujacks Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by compujacks Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Never mind!  There were TWO Host controllers, and I had only deleted one of them.  After I deleted both, the mouse worked fine
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:50 PM