none
Windows 8 People app says "Looks like your PC isn't connected to the Internet right now."

Question

• The live tile for the Windows 8 "People" app updates fine with latest status from Facebook, but when opened, the People app just says "Looks like your PC isn't connected to the Internet right now."

Other apps work fine, e.g. Store, email, Calendar, etc.

Any clues?

/ Hannes.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:11 AM

All replies

• Have a similar issue - the app just updated the tile in start menu with news about a Facebook buddy, but when opening the app, it tells me I first have to connect to my Facebook account.
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:57 AM
  • More details:

* Same occurrs also on clean install of 64-bit Win8 RTM. Install, setup People to connect to Facebook ==> People app still fails.

* Remove the Facebook connection, leaving only LinkedIn and Live Accounts. ==> People app still fails.

* Uninstall & Reinstall People app ==> People app still fails.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:08 PM

• Hi,

Please check the network settings. If proxy is configured, please check the settings referring to the following document. For details about proxy settings, you can see the section “To configure the proxy addresses for the intranet and Internet”:

Isolating Windows Store Apps on Your Network
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831418.aspx

If possible, please also connect the computer to some other network and see if it works.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Your instructions seem to make use of the Group Policy Editor, which I cannot find on my touch PC running Windows 8 (RTM).

Are there equivalent registry changes I can make?

Thanks,

/ Hannes.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Whoa! I disconnected from 3G and got onto a WiFi network instead - the People app works fine on this network.

I am concerned if there a bug wherein the People app has an issue detecting the connection over 3G?

I was part of the team who developed the 3G connectivity stack in Windows 8. I would encourage you to have the People app team try their app over 3G. If they see issues, try talk to the Msft Wireless Networking team...

Anyway, good luck.

/ Hannes.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:21 PM