none
Write Protected Drive

Question

• I am running Windows 7 Pro x64, which I have recently reinstalled due to my system drive  dying irrecoverably recently.  Since reinstalling I have been experiencing a problem where I am given error messages such as "Access is denied", etc when trying to write a file.  This happens sometimes on my RAID 5 drive which I use as a secondary drive (three 500GB SATA drives set up into a RAID 5 for 1TB of disk space, using MB drivers for RAID), and sometimes on my system disk (320 GB disk just bought when my other drive failed) which is set up in a single disk JBOD (because of RAID setup limitations).  I have attempted each and every possible solution for that I have found, most relevantly from this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasetup/thread/c6c6edc0-f7e4-42f1-a376-cfad751f2357

I have tried the diskpart, and the "fsutil resource setautoreset true x:\", neither of which give errors (they both say they completed successfully) but don't actually help.  I have only tried the "fsutil volume dismount x:\" on my system drive (resulting in an "Error: Access is denied") due to the fact that since finding that suggestion I have not had my secondary (RAID) drive lock up.  The next time it does, I will attempt that solution and give feedback on it here.

I had Windows 7 RC installed at least half a year ago and it had similar issues, though it only affected the RAID drive.  I installed Windows 7 Pro (the release) in August when I got it from the MSDNAA program, and it had not shown any of these problems until I had to reinstall due to my old system disk dying.

My system is custom built, the motherboard is a Foxconn A7DA-S.  I have a multi-core (can't remember atm if it's dual or quad) Phenom processor by AMD.  I have 8 GB of RAM installed.  I believe all drivers are current.

If you need more information please ask.  This issue is becoming increasingly difficult to live with and I would like to get it resolved as soon as possible.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:42 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Do you Run the CMD as administrator before perform the command line "fsutil resource setautoreset true x:\"?

Does the error occurs randomly when trying to write a file? If the problem happens in a Special file or folder, I recommend you try the following steps:

Take ownership of the folder or file

===============
    1. Right-click the folder or file which you want to take ownership of and click "Properties".
    2. In the "Security" tab, click the "Edit" button. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click "Add", and then type the name of the user (e.g. Administrators) to whom you want to give access to the drive or folder.

4. Click "OK" to accept the changes.
    5. Repeat the above steps with the other hard drives. 

Reset Permission

============

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue".

4. Click "Start". In the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================

@Echo Finished.

@pause

6. After the above commands are finished, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

You can also log int the build-in administrator account and to see if the issue persists:

Using the Built-in Administrator

================================

1. Click the Start button->All Programs->Accessories.

2. Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Copy the following command and press Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

5. Restart the computer and then log into the computer by this Administrator account.

Thomas77
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:18 AM
  • I noticed that this prolem occurred after reinstalling the system. In geneal, "Access Denied" error can be related none-enough permissions or unaccessable destination. Besides Thomas_77's suggestions on checking permissions. I would like to propose the following suggestions additionally,

1. Run chkdsk /f command to check hard disk error.

2. Re-assign the drive letter. I assume that the hard disk driver letter may be messed up while switching between 500 GB SATA drive and 320 GB SATA drive. When you use the command line "fsutil volume dismount x:\",  the x: drive letter may not correctly navigate to the volume.

How to assign the drive letter
    ===================

1) In Disk Management, right-click the volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    2) Click Add, and then click Assign the following drive letter.
    3) Select the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK two times.

Best Regards
    Dale

Friday, December 18, 2009 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you Run the CMD as administrator before perform the command line "fsutil resource setautoreset true x:\"?

Does the error occurs randomly when trying to write a file? If the problem happens in a Special file or folder, I recommend you try the following steps:

Take ownership of the folder or file

===============
    1. Right-click the folder or file which you want to take ownership of and click "Properties".
    2. In the "Security" tab, click the "Edit" button. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click "Add", and then type the name of the user (e.g. Administrators) to whom you want to give access to the drive or folder.

4. Click "OK" to accept the changes.
    5. Repeat the above steps with the other hard drives. 

Reset Permission

============

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue".

4. Click "Start". In the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=system=f

@Echo Finished.

@pause

6. After the above commands are finished, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."

NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

You can also log int the build-in administrator account and to see if the issue persists:

Using the Built-in Administrator

================================

1. Click the Start button->All Programs->Accessories.

2. Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Copy the following command and press Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

5. Restart the computer and then log into the computer by this Administrator account.

Thomas77
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:18 AM
  • I noticed that this prolem occurred after reinstalling the system. In geneal, "Access Denied" error can be related none-enough permissions or unaccessable destination. Besides Thomas_77's suggestions on checking permissions. I would like to propose the following suggestions additionally,

2. Re-assign the drive letter. I assume that the hard disk driver letter may be messed up while switching between 500 GB SATA drive and 320 GB SATA drive. When you use the command line "fsutil volume dismount x:\",  the x: drive letter may not correctly navigate to the volume.

===================

1) In Disk Management, right-click the volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    2) Click Add, and then click Assign the following drive letter.
    3) Select the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK two times.

Best Regards
    Dale

Friday, December 18, 2009 10:10 AM
  •  

Thomas77

I realise this thread is a bit dated but that's the best answer to a user question I've ever seen on a Microsoft 'community' forum. Just wanted to say thanks. And impose further, of course, if I can...

nb. all completed as "builtin / net user administrator" obv

When I run the batch file, hundreds of thousands of changes are made. Which is great, because there is no system on the planet which needs changes more than mine. Unfortunately, around 30% come up as "Failed - Access Denied" when the Microsoft utility is directing the Microsoft code to make changes to the Microsoft permissions of the registry keys - which I understand was coded by Microsoft, but which $600 Microsoft Emergency Support technical experts (who I paid to remote access my desktop), had never heard of.  

But then it seems to have 100% success with files on C: drive, which is great except...I have all sorts of other drives, the most obvious being the System Reserved folder of corruption which is automatically created on brand new Intel SSDs by Genuine Windows discs pressed by Microsoft. I read on a Microsoft page somewhere that the System Reserved folder denotes virtualisation, which I wryly noted after first suspecting virtualisation in Februrary when Diskpart refused to delete Objects due to "Virtual Disk Error" and "Object cannot be found".

But anyway, it's all a bit moot in the end, because the 70% 'successfully' changed permissions, weren't. Just like when I use Aaron Stubner's "Final Solutions" for .NET hacking to remove Frameworks 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.5, various Visual Basic and C++ SDKs and whatnot, nothing that is 'removed' is removed.

I know this because I can run commands and utilties 1000's of times, back to back. And I'll get the same output every time, so I don't know what the utilities think they're removing, but I'm guessing they're watching the magician's right hand, whilst his left is...ruining my life.

1) In Disk Management

1. I've been running chkdsk and sfc all year. They never fail to find, or install corruption. I mean, obviously I use them in hope. But then they find tens of thosands of "disused" SIDS and remove them, or hundreds of thousands of corrupted system entries / files and remove them, and next boot Windows cannot repair this system. Which is confusing, because I thought that's what chkdsk and sfc claimed they just did.

2. My Windows virtual X: drive is persistent, bootsect says it's "not attached to a volume on [my] hard drive" (then, where?) and write-protected (which actually is the reason I'm posting on this specific page), and only reluctantly cooperates with brand new CD-Rom's reading Genuine Windows discs. They don't read the discs very well, what with the CRC errors and Bad Blocks one expects from any brand new hardware (and I have 25 or so internal and external CD drives). All of which have been overwhelmed...by software? Hardware ruined by software? Hey maybe I'm a moron, but this is bs imo. Experts are baffled, but most assure me it's nothing to worry about. Which makes me think I should be very worried.

It's funny. I mean, that everyone is baffled and confused. I'm still borderline computer illiterate after a year of watching operating systems install and immediately crash, or fail to install at all - for every reason under the sun, and (my personal favourite) no reason at all (at least, none they care to tender). But I can read logs. A child can read these logs, if the child could speed-read and had the desire to read millions of lines of installation logs, which do a perfectly acceptable job of logging the corruption. But the brilliant minds which (unlike mine) are not reduced to migraines when exposed to concepts like virtualisation, recursion and infinity...suddenly seem disinterested in kernels that panic at the prospect of a clean install, virtual RF / Bluetooth / wireless drivers installing themselves onto offline systems (I guess they needed to be brought online?) - it confuses me, but the confusion of the experts is horrifying. I vaguely understand there are some simpler ways to skin my cats, like...NetBIOS? iSCSI? Fcoe? Pxe? mDNS? Tunneling, which seems magical to me. Psuedo-tunneling, which seems like showing off, or something? Magic tricks inside of magic tricks. I'm impressed. But maybe I'm the only one. Everyone else is just bored / disinterested. Which is fine, but then I was paying them $200/hr not to be. And suddenly they're bored / disinterested, in money? I usually go throw up, when that happens. Because I don't know what it means, but I don't think it's good.

I understand the world isn't interested in hidden default networking functionality - I'm not surprised, I'm not interested either. But I have these "Microsoft ISATAP Adapters" (which spawn indefinitely), and which my Device Manager > Resources by Connection more or less suggests are in control of my entire system via interrupt requests. I would like to politely decline. But when I do, I discover they're not really requesting permission, and my life will be interrupted. Because Windows will crash with a BSOD, and I don't what the RE does for you, but I am a not a violent person and I will slice in TWAIN anyone who asserts that I am lying about what I'm HAPPY to prove - and that is, the Windows RE cannot - CANNOT - repair my system. EVER. It sure does insult me with 'trying' though, spinning for hours when I can install Windows 7 in 25 min, and Windows 8 in 5 min with my UEFI boot option in my BIOS - heck if I know what UEFI is, and if you think I'm too lazy to research, you'd be right, except this year, you'd be wrong. 

It's all too much for me. I've been saying this for 9 months, and $80,000. I need expert help. Where are THEY. I know why I have Teredo Tunneling Psuedo Interfaces, WAN Miniports for IKEv2, IP, IPv6, L2TP, PPPoE, PPTP, SSTP and my brain is about to have a kernel panic, I can't remember the others. SSH seems to be a concern. Filter drivers. I learn something, then someone contradicts it, and I'm back at square 1. NetIO, seems concerning on some level, mostly because I understand it's beneficial functionality - just like all functionality which I don't need? Imposed upon me for my benefit. And Microsoft and Intel, and Hewlett-Packard, DELL, Sony, ASUS, MSi, Canonical - everyone - all disinterested in answering my simple questions, but they sure are 'curious', about why I wouldn't want something I will NEVER - EVER - personally benefit from. "Thanks, but no thanks" - they're so taken back, that they Insist.

I resist. They insist.

This has been going on all year. Who do you think is dominating that conversation?

I can wait, for corruption to end. Who do you think will crack first?

I can resist, Corruption's insistence that I be grateful for undesired functionality I don't use. It's persistent, unfortunately. And it's imposed upon me, persistently. I know it's imposed upon all of you. I understand you don't mind. I didn't mind either, but then one day in February I woke up to a desktop and two laptops which had all BSOD'd. The horror, has escalated, every day since. I'm horrified, that there is no end to that escalation. 

I appreciate the world is nonchalant. That's cool, but tell me something will you - can this blows my 'illiterate' mind:

Why do I have networking hardware? Why, does ANYONE?

It seems to me, that the entire world should be asking this question. But what would I know...or I should say, how could I know? I seems I know sweet f all, but I know that. And maybe, that makes me the only person with a clue. Not much of one, but maybe clues are dangerous things, best nipped in the bud. Maybe I'm moronic, but it sure does seem to me, that there is some bud-nipping going on. I'm the bud, and I'm 80% nipped through.

Failing that, kindly tell me how the hell can I reassign X: drive with MMC? It seems like a impossible idea bordering on stupid, but then I appreciate my RE might not = your RE. It's a pity for me, that chances are, you will not share my appreciation, of corruption.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:17 PM
  • This is my third attempt to comment on jpnnygs1 hysterical delusional observation of the 'NETWORK' hardware that must have resources to access in abundance
    Collection of Your Personal Information Collection of Your Personal Information
    Use of Your Personal Information Use of Your Personal Information
    Sharing of Your Personal Information Sharing of Your Personal Information
    Accessing Your Personal Information Accessing Your Personal Information
    Communication Preferences Communication Preferences
    Display of Advertising (Opt-Out) Display of Advertising (Opt-Out)
    Security of Your Personal Information Security of Your Personal Information
    Collection and Use of Children's Personal Information Collection and Use of Children's Personal Information
    Use of Cookies Use of Cookies
    Use of Web Beacons Use of Web Beacons
    Controlling Unsolicited E-mail ("Spam") Controlling Unsolicited E-mail ("Spam")
    TRUSTe Certification TRUSTe Certification
    Enforcement of This Privacy Statement Enforcement of This Privacy Statement
    Changes to This Privacy Statement Changes to This Privacy Statement
    How to Contact Us How to Contact Us
    svchost style to assume compliance with the following. MINE AND YOURS JONNYGS1 agreement to all of the above before we can first boot, first use, trail or otherwise exercise realitivity of the current system crash, access denied, file not found, you dont have permission to, source file not found, error FU!(10100).!! IM a nail bender by trade but I to have experienced line after line of logg files to dynamically unlinked access to unrelated simulation of virtual intelectual property. MINE >/? help. Im at the bottom of my income level and have been since I first realized how much time and effort and less documentation would be neccessary. Save a tree buy ten computers. The early system dos styled command prompt baseball diamond was so much more fun and the games attracted nothing but whiter coats and all we could do was cheer the black and white screens that actually had a way to negotiate the diamond and add a number to the upper left hand corner of the tube driven monitor. Ah those were the days and I felt more like jonnygs1 does now than I did 35 years ago. When will it all end? Why must I reinstall,reformat, resubscribe,restart,reinvest, and upgrade automatically? My upgrade list for windows XP is longer than the binerary registry and probably the source of all the corruption. If it works dont fix it my Grandpa used to say and things dont fall off of the floor. Hence the piles of laptops and desktops. I dont want them to fall and get broken or anything. I would gladly agree to almost sodomy if someone would please help me to get my system back running so I CAN GET SOME SLEEP AND DO PAYROLL~.>/? HELP /ELEVATE /FRUSTRATION : ACTIVE /REGARDLESS / CURRENT FINAL PLEE =yes P.S> thread /comment /by /jponnygs1 /shared /appreciation /corruption :active /yes
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:11 AM