none
Mouse stops working, only fix is restart

Question

• Every so often the mouse stops working and the light goes off on it. It's connected to a laptop and thankfully the touchpad still works but there is no respsonse from the mouse at all. I've tried unplugging it and putting back in, using different USB ports and I cannot get it to start working again at all. The only method that works is restarting. Reinstalling the drivers fails as well.

I know that these problems have been reported for mouse failure when resuming a session from standby / sleep etc, and this has happened as well but it's not just a sleep resume which causes it, and sleep resumes do not always cause a failure. Could it be as a result of inactivity of the mouse which causes it to be turned off for power saving purposes? I think I disabled this already though by switching to the performance power plan. Is there anything I'm missing or is it just because of bugs?

Telemann
    Monday, March 16, 2009 1:20 AM

Answers

• I don't think there is any consistancy in the timings because sometimes it runs fine when the computer is on for days at a time and at other times it can break after only a few minutes. I think I may know what is causing the problem now, I have been using a USB hub and the last time the mouse stopped working it was a result of a conflicting device also using the hub. Removing the conflicting device and then replugging in the mouse fixed it, without requiring a restart, so hopefully this is the cause.
    Telemann
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:51 AM
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:33 PM

All replies

• You hinted at it, but check system / Device Manager / Mice and other pointing devices / your mouse, and look in the Power Management tab and assure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked (or is unchecked and grayed out).
    Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P F7, E7200 2.53@3.76ghz, 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1188, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , Win 7 7000
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:23 AM
  •  

Hi,

It’s seems a problem related to driver. Have you tried update the mouse driver?

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:17 AM
  • I found the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" but it was grayed out.

The mouse is made by "Texet" but I think I have generic drivers installed, I can't find any Texet drivers online. The mouse is optical and wired, if this makes a difference

Telemann
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:21 PM
  • TBC 203485 said:

I found the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" but it was grayed out.

The mouse is made by "Texet" but I think I have generic drivers installed, I can't find any Texet drivers online. The mouse is optical and wired, if this makes a difference

Telemann

If you have not explicitly installed a driver, then it is using the built-in MS driver (options accessable at control-panel / Mouse).  Is there any consistantant timing as to how much "inactive" time passes before you lose it?  if so, compare these to the times set in Control Panel / Power settings.

Hope that helps.

Kris -------- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P F7, E7200 2.53@3.73ghz, 4GB (2x2gb) OCZ Reaper1150@1179, EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 , Win 7 7000
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:23 PM
  • I don't think there is any consistancy in the timings because sometimes it runs fine when the computer is on for days at a time and at other times it can break after only a few minutes. I think I may know what is causing the problem now, I have been using a USB hub and the last time the mouse stopped working it was a result of a conflicting device also using the hub. Removing the conflicting device and then replugging in the mouse fixed it, without requiring a restart, so hopefully this is the cause.
    Telemann
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:51 AM
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Hope so!  Finding those things can be brutal!  Good luck with it!

Kris
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:40 PM
  • I sometimes have this problem after I log back on to my laptop.
    Luckily the touchpad still works however the mouse, which is an intellimouse incidentally, fails to move the pointer.
    The light is on on the mouse, the buttons work, left and right but thats about it.
    under the pwer management options the item is greyed out and unchecked. I have not installed any drivers for the mouse, allowing windows to use its own default ones.
    Perhaps installing fresh drivers will cure the problem, I'll give it a go and return with the results in a few days.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:06 PM
  • I haven't had any more problems since I started using a built-in USB port instead of the USB hub ports so I think the problem is the Hub and conflicting devices on the Hub. Thanks for all the suggestions and hopefully I won't have further problems with it.
    Telemann
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:34 PM
  • First of all, I suggest moving the mouse to another port to determine if this behavior continues. With my unit I found that the mouse would work for a short time and then would stop working, especially when other programs were operating. The symptoms with my mouse continued when I connected to an alternate USB port. I concluded that the problem was probably not with the port but with the Mouse drivers, supposing that the mouse itself did not suffer from an internal problem. I also temporarily installed a non-usb mouse to the mouse port so that I could continue to operate after the usb mouse failed to operate on my system. To say the least, this can make the following a lot easier if your mouse USB is failing to work shortly after your system is booted. Today I dealt with this problem on my Winodws XP Home SP2 system.

I did resolve the problem by:

1) Locating and deleting the actual USB mouse driver. In my case this involved the WIndows XP standard installed driver. For specifics, go into the device manager, select properties, mice & other pointing devices, HID-compliant mouse, right-click select properties, driver, driver details. Copy the details, search on your Windows system drive for those drivers and delete the non-archived versions. (You should see 2 instances for each driver. If you are showing more than one mouse installed (in case of blue-tooth mouse support or such) this will be the mouse located at "Location 0" under "general" in "properties".

2) I also located the "driver cache" folder in the Windows Directory and temporarily moved it to my desktop. This was to make certain that no defective drivers would be retained or re-installed after I performed the next step.

3) I returned to the Device manager, right-clicked over the entry for the appropriate mouse and uninstalled the driver.

4) Final step, I shut down the computer. After shutdown, I reboot with the USB mouse still connected to the USB port. After reboot the USB mouse was working much more smoothly, in fact I saw increased ability of the total computer to operate with the bad drivers replaced. To test this I opened an excessive amount of programs and ran them at the same time. Even under these stressed out conditions my USB mouse did not disconnect or stop working. I consider the problem resolved.

A) I would suspect that this resolution, assuming the same situation, would probably work on other Windows systems. My conclusion is that despite uninstalling mouse drivers, if one does not absolutely delete the associated damaged drivers, Windows will simply re-install the same damaged drivers on reboot.

B) On my system the drivers deleted for my USB mouse were "mouclass.sys" and "mouhid.sys". Nevertheless I suggest that you follow the previous steps to determine what drivers are being used for your particular system, and possibly, some type of alternate mouse installation.

** Please note:  I actually re-installed my system from the original operating system disk prior to this repair in 'upgrade mode'.  That did not resolve the problem as apparently Windows migrated the defective mouse drivers into the newer installation,  instead of replacing the defective version. **

• Edited by Celegans Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:45 AM spelling grammar update
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:39 AM
  • I have the same issue on two machines a Lenovo AIO with a wire USB Mouse and a Lenovo Twist with a Bluetooth mouse - appears Windows 8.1 related since there was no issue before upgrade.
    Friday, December 20, 2013 10:15 PM