none
Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 will not start

Question

• I just installed Windows 7 Professional and Office 2003 Professional including Outlook 2003. I was able to launch Outlook 2003 for the primary user (Administrator account) but am unable to launch for the second (non-admin) account. I receive the following error message:
    "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened"
    I have shared all the applications with the second user account but to no avail.
    I have uninstalled Office 2003 and re-installed to no avail. Curiously after uninstalling Office 2003 and reinstalling then when I launch Outlook 2003 on the admin account it still has my email account and email.
    Is there something else I need to do to allow the additional accounts on the same PC to run Outlook?
    Is there a way to remove the old email account from the system as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

• Veeresh,

Well, it is finally working.  I completely re-loaded Windows 7 and MS Office 2003 including Outlook 2003.  I followed the steps for setting up email exactly as outlined above with one difference from before, I made the second user account an admin account also.

A couple of things I noticed are that even though the second user is an admin account, the mail utility only shows up in the Control Panel of the first account created to build the system.  Another thing is that I cannot delete emails that I send to the Outlook "Deleted Items" folder, it crashes Outlook if I try to empty the folder.  I was able to get around this by setting the option to have the "Deleted Items" folder emptied whenever Outlook is exited, odd, but it works.

When I get my nerve up I may change the user account to standard instead of admin and see if it breaks Outlook.  But, for now I'm so excited about it finally working I will leave well enough alone for a while.

Thank you for your help and patience!
    • Proposed as answer by Veeresh-H Monday, November 09, 2009 6:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by JJSBX Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:40 PM
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 6:34 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the post.

Please have a look at the link below which talks about similar problem and provides a solution. Please let me know if this helps in resolving your problem.

http://www.talkroot.com/outlook/36672-re-unable-open-your-default-e-mail-folders-outlook-2003-a.html

Please use the link below for your reference to create new profile additional accounts:

http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/new_profile.htm

Please use this link below for your reference to add/remove email accounts:

http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/emailAccountsOptions/generalSettings.cwd

Veeresh

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Veeresh,

Thank you for the reply and related links.  I have gone through the same procedure as in the profile and email accounts links without success.  I have completely uninstalled Office 2003 several times, removed the Outlook feature from Office several times, thinking there may be some remnant of the old account hiding somewhere.  But, all without success.

I will remove the user account form the system when I get home from work and see if that works per the first link you referenced.

I will also try simply adding a new user account to the PC and see if that works.

I should point out that I am configuring a POP3 email account in all cases and do not attach to an Exchange Server.

I will post the results this evening, thank you again for the help!
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Veeresh,

I deleted the user account, created a new account and went through the steps to create a POP3 email account.  The email account creation went fine, I launched Outlook and received the message that I did not have a .pst for email file storage.  I created the Personal Folders .pst file using the Control Panel Mail utility and launched Outlook again for the new account, received the same message "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened".

I am at a loss as to why this won't work :(
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Could you please check if you have followed these couple of steps after creating a new email account.

1) Open mail utility from control panel
    2) In mail setup window click on “Show Profiles”. A General window opens.
    3) From the list select the recently created account and check the radio button called. “Always use this profile”. Click on Ok.
    4) Now give a try to launch the Outlook.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Veeresh

• Proposed as answer by Veeresh-H Monday, November 09, 2009 6:32 PM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Veeresh,

Well, it is finally working.  I completely re-loaded Windows 7 and MS Office 2003 including Outlook 2003.  I followed the steps for setting up email exactly as outlined above with one difference from before, I made the second user account an admin account also.

A couple of things I noticed are that even though the second user is an admin account, the mail utility only shows up in the Control Panel of the first account created to build the system.  Another thing is that I cannot delete emails that I send to the Outlook "Deleted Items" folder, it crashes Outlook if I try to empty the folder.  I was able to get around this by setting the option to have the "Deleted Items" folder emptied whenever Outlook is exited, odd, but it works.

When I get my nerve up I may change the user account to standard instead of admin and see if it breaks Outlook.  But, for now I'm so excited about it finally working I will leave well enough alone for a while.

Thank you for your help and patience!
    • Proposed as answer by Veeresh-H Monday, November 09, 2009 6:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by JJSBX Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:40 PM
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 6:34 AM