none
Windows Media Player 12 Music Library

Question

• Reading through this, and other, forums it does seem that WMP12 has a big problem when it comes to music libraries.  From what I can see Microsoft aren’t acknowledging it so, presumably, not working on fixing the problem.

I have three 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate PC’s.  One is a laptop, one is a media centre and another is a general desktop.  All my data, including the music, is on a Netgear ReadyNas Duo.

WMP on both the laptop and media centre work as advertised with WMP displaying the music library correctly.  However, the desktop machine lumps all my music into two ‘Unknown’ albums – one for mp3’s and the other for wma’s

I’ve spent many, many hours trawling through forums looking for suggestions and, so far, nothing works.  It can’t be a tag issue as my other two PC’s are fine so Im guessing that it is PC related.

I’ve cleared %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player with no success and I’ve also removed and replaced Media Player (via Windows Features).

It looks as if my next move is to flatten the PC and re-install from scratch (and go through the painfull phone calls to various software companies to convince them that the re-activation requests isn’t due to software piracy).

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 5:55 AM

Answers

• Just a quickie to draw a line under this tread.

I wiped and re-installed my PC and everything now works perfectly. 

The music is still residing on the original NAS box.  I have no idea what the problem was but it doesn't appear to be related to media tags or the music tracks themselves.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:59 AM
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:06 AM

All replies

• When clearing the Media Player folder, did you make sure that the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service was stopped?

I have never heard of this behavior when the library is corrupted (the common symptoms are error messages, or songs not being added). So it seems more likely to me that WMP can't read the tags for some reason. Are you able to play the MP3 and WMA files from within WMP on the desktop machine?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:22 PM
  • When clearing the Media Player folder, did you make sure that the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service was stopped?

Yes it was stopped - I've tried it several times - some with the service running, some with it stopped. 

Richard

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Ok, I've just popped in a spare hard drive and installed a clean copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit).  Hey Presto, my music library (housed on my ReadyNas) shows up just as it should.

The problem, therefore, is on the original Windows 7 installation and has nothing to do with the music tags or music folders.

Bearing in mind I've already tried removing WMP & WMC via Windows Components in the add/remove programs, does anyone know of a foolproof way to remove WMP, together with all of it settings so I can re-install a totally fresh WMP?

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:08 PM
  • You still haven't answered the key question here: are you able to play the MP3 and WMA files from within WMP on the desktop machine?

Try clearing the Media Player folder again, and then run WMP as administrator. Does it still add all the songs into unknown albums?

Tim De Baets
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hello Tim, many thanks for your response.

Yep, I can play the tracks fine.

I noticed something else today though....

I manually edited one of the tracks so it had the correct artist and album name.  I then merged the rest of the album tracks and ended up with an album displaying correctly.  Boyed by this success I then repeated the procedure and ended up with 10, or so, 'correct' albums and two 'Unknown' albums (1 for mp3's the other wma's) containing the other few thousand tracks.

I then went to rip a CD (Sgt Pepper!) and hey-presto, everything ended back in the two 'Unknown' Albums again.

Throughout this time, the media library on my other to PC's displayed correctly.

I have tried clearing the folder again (having stopped the Windows Media Player Service again) and run WMP as the administrator with no success. 

My next step is to delete every music file I have and to restore them album by album - updating the album info as I go.

I'm sceptical that this will work as I becoming more and more convinced of a corruption somewhere within the system.

I'll come back with the results.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Ok, this is what I've found...

No matter what I try, WMP is listing all the tracks as an Unknown album on my current Windows 7 setup.  If I repeat the steps on a clean Windows 7 install everything works as it should.

There's obviously something either corrupted or interfering with my setup and I'm guessing that it will be a lot quicker to re-install the whole system.

As I mentioned, it's only on the one PC, my other two work perfectly.

It does make me wonder though, all the folks who have similar problems and blame their media tags - I wonder if something darker is going on here?

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Just a quickie to draw a line under this tread.

I wiped and re-installed my PC and everything now works perfectly. 

The music is still residing on the original NAS box.  I have no idea what the problem was but it doesn't appear to be related to media tags or the music tracks themselves.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:59 AM
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Since you have re-installed PC and everything now works perfectly, we cannot troubleshoot this problem anymore. However, if you encounter the similar problems, please feel free to ask your questions here.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 2:33 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. It can't be a tag issue since iTunes has correctly configured all the music into their appropriate places. So the only thing I can sumize is that WMP12 is corrupt. Unless someone can help me figure out how to get everything correctly configured in WMP, and it's just that I'm too ignorant to figure it out myself. I can play MP3 and WAV files in WMP with no problem it's just everything is lumped into one unknown album that's got 3/4 of all my songs in it.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:23 AM
  • BBB415, please check if it are only the WAV songs that are added into one unknown album. If that's the case, then this is likely caused by the fact that WAV has very poor tagging support. WMP only writes a few tags to WAV files during ripping, and you can't change these afterwards. See http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/WMP/WAV.htm for more info.

Converting the WAV files to a format that has proper tagging support, such as MP3 or (possibly lossless) WMA, and then re-tagging the songs, should prevent this issue from happening again.

Tim De Baets
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:27 PM
  • could you help me with my Windows media library? I have one file... unknown album, song, artist. Windows keeps trying to update the info for this "unknown album" it simply does not exist and i can not delete it from my library... what gives?

Thank You

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 4:17 PM
  • rastaxxx: I suggest that you try resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt.
    Tim De Baets
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:35 AM
  • I have had this same problem with WMP12 on Windows 7 x64 since about a week after I copied across my albums when Win7 first launched.

I have spent countless hours trying various solutions such as everything that has been listed on this page without any satsifactory results.

Finally installed the Zune software and pointed it at the media library - Zune shows everything as it should, with correct albums & art, only problem is it can't sync to non-Zune devices, but at least as a media player it behaves as expected.

The problem is with WMP12 and it would appear that Microsoft either doesn't accept this is a bug or simply can't/won't fix it. Software that causes this much frustration can only be labelled as crap.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:18 AM
  • brantc: were you able to successfully reset WMP's library? (see my previous post for instructions)

What's the file type (or types) of your music files (MP3, WMA, WAV...)?

Tim De Baets
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Same here, i refuse to reinstall windows 7. If I reinstall it will be Linux getting tired of non working windows products. and NO TECH SUPPORT!

Saturday, July 06, 2013 1:28 AM