none
Install Windows 7 on an system with 8 pre-installed?

Question

• I work for a non-profit, and while I prefer Win8 our policy is to install Windows 7 Ent on everything.  We recently bought 3 new systems with Windows 8 pre-installed (Acer CX600).  I can not get Windows 7 to install!  Is this even possible, or do we need to return the system?
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:15 PM

Answers

• The Win7 install DVD (used to boot from) refuses to reformat the drive... "OEM Reserved".  Argh.

You'll need to delete the existing hard drive partition Windows 8 is installed on.  Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and select the option to delete that partition, then create a new partition, then install Windows 7.

Carey Frisch

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:24 PM

All replies

• Format c:\ on each machine and then use your company's Windows 7 Enterprise licenses to install Win7 to your three additional seats.  Otherwise, I see returns as your only option.  Some vendors offer "downgrade" deals in which they install Win 7 on your machine and supply you with a Win8 install DVD for your later use, but it might be hard trying to locate one of these with a Win7 Ent option.  Good luck.

• Edited by WaltC3 Friday, December 28, 2012 5:44 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Purchase a new hard drive, remove the current hard drive, install the new hard drive and perform a "clean install" of Windows 7.  When you wish to run Windows 8, simply swap out the hard drives.

Carey Frisch

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:50 PM
  • The Win7 install DVD (used to boot from) refuses to reformat the drive... "OEM Reserved".  Argh.
    Friday, December 28, 2012 6:51 PM

Try a XP CD. When you reach this:

Delete all partitions. Then boot up from the Win7 DVD. The XP installer won't care about "OEM Reservations" I am sure. If that fails (maybe the PC is too new and the XP installer won't even boot), get a Linux distro and delete the partitions with the installer of the distro.

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:09 PM

You'll need to delete the existing hard drive partition Windows 8 is installed on.  Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and select the option to delete that partition, then create a new partition, then install Windows 7.

Carey Frisch

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:24 PM