none
Windows 8.1 Setup exe This product key didn't work. Check it and try again

Question

• I am upgrading my machine with a new MOBO and SSD. I need a full windows 8.1 install disk so I am trying to create one from the WindowsSetupBox.exe file.

I am doing this on the machine that I will be upgrading and it currently has 8.1 Pro.  When I enter my product key (yes confirmed correct) I get 'This product key didn't work. Check it and try again.'

My MOBO is coming today and I really want to get this thing done tonight but I can't even begin without an 8.1 Pro install disk.  any help is much appreciated.

NOTE:  I tried the regedit fix that I found for the same error on activating windows.  (no luck)

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Answers

• I attempted this, and it installed fine but would not accept my key when trying to change.

I had to call tech support and waste a lot of time only to get disconnected.  However, upon calling back the very first person I talked to was very helpful.  He had me run slui 4 which prompted for my location and then gave the activation id that I had to read to him.  Next, I was prompted for a confirmation number supplied by him.

After this it showed windows was active, but a few hours later it said once again that I needed to activate.  At this time my original product key did in fact work fine for activation.  Thanks for the help guys.  Ultimately, there doesn't seem to be an answer for my problem other than letting tech support fix it and hope you get someone that knows what to do when you call.

• Marked as answer by trouzyy Monday, February 03, 2014 3:15 PM
    Monday, February 03, 2014 3:14 PM

All replies

• So what became of the original Windows 8 disc?

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Never had one and that is a useless response.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:34 PM
  • The key your using is for 8.0 not 8.1..........that is your problem.  Either install 8.0 and then upgrade OR find a generic 8.1 key that microsoft has, it won't activate but it will let you install and then you can enter your valid windows 8 product key to activate.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Nope.  I am using my 8.1 key as I stated in the message it is the correct key.
      However, thanks for noting the generic key I will see if I can find one.
    • Edited by trouzyy Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:44 PM
  • While this isn't the answer I completely want this may be a decent work around.  I found a generic key

{removed}

which it does accept but then it won't connect after that.  So I guess one issue at a time.  Maybe I am getting closer.

Thanks

So I either need my original problem solved.  Or need to figure out if it isn't connecting because of the generic key or for some other reason.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:49 PM
  • Can you confirm that a generic key should/will work?  I don't know where to go from here unless someone can help with the actual problem at hand.  I don't know if I should

A. pursue the generic key route (maybe it doesn't work at all)
    B. continue looking for answers to the actual problem with it not accepting my valid key

ATM:

A. results in ("We can't connect right now.  Check your internet connection and try again.")

B. results in ("This product key didn't work.  Check it and try again")

So any help furthering either of these would be helpful.  And confirmation as to whether or not the generic key is even a possible route or if the connection error is simply the farthest I will get with a generic key.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:30 PM
  • Never had one and that is a useless response.

So how did you originally install Windows 8 if you never had a Windows 8 DVD?

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:44 AM
  • In my response i said install with generic key and THEN use the slmgr commands to install your key (slmgr /ipk) and the activate (slmgr /ato) and that should work.  Please try that and confirm if it works.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Friday, January 31, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Depending upon the source of the 8.1pro, it could be the wrong key for the flavor of windows (eg. TechNet has downloads for 8.1proN -- on which a 8.1pro key will not work). After you get the key in, you may still have an issue activating it, as the number of activations/hardware are tracked by MS. If you don't have a TechNet account or some other way to obtain the correct flavor of Windows, you may be screwed....
    Friday, January 31, 2014 2:25 PM
  • I attempted this, and it installed fine but would not accept my key when trying to change.

I had to call tech support and waste a lot of time only to get disconnected.  However, upon calling back the very first person I talked to was very helpful.  He had me run slui 4 which prompted for my location and then gave the activation id that I had to read to him.  Next, I was prompted for a confirmation number supplied by him.

After this it showed windows was active, but a few hours later it said once again that I needed to activate.  At this time my original product key did in fact work fine for activation.  Thanks for the help guys.  Ultimately, there doesn't seem to be an answer for my problem other than letting tech support fix it and hope you get someone that knows what to do when you call.

• Marked as answer by trouzyy Monday, February 03, 2014 3:15 PM
    Monday, February 03, 2014 3:14 PM