none
UE-V not synchronizing Desktop icons or toolbar settings

Question

• I have Microsoft UE-V working in a test environment and I have been successful in synchronizing changes for Office, IE 9, Windows Themes.  However, I cannot get the Desktop to write the changes that I make.  So settings like my icons, icon placement, pinned taskbar icons, etc. do not sync.  Is anyone else having trouble with this particular setting?

I have deployed the desktop setting via GPO:

User Configuration\Windows Settings\Microsoft User Experience Virtualization\Roam Windows Settings

in which I have Desktop Settings, Ease of access, and Themes all set to roam.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Windows desktop and Ease of Access settings are applied at logon before the desktop is presented to the user. To optimize the logon experience, these settings are not roamed by default. Desktop and Ease of Access settings can be enabled by using Group Policy, PowerShell, and WMI.

Also, UE-V does not support the roaming of settings between operating systems with different languages. For example, synchronization between English and German is not supported. The language of all computers to which UE-V roams the user settings must match.

You may refer to this TechNet article:

Planning Which Applications to Synchronize with UE-V

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 09, 2012 5:04 AM
  • Hi Tracy,

I have followed the planning guide you linked, but desktop settings are not synchronizing.  I have deployed the UE-V settings via Group Policy.  Any other advice?

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the steps mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738

Also, wish this post can give some hint to you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpropoc/thread/b5bad18a-859b-4eb2-9c72-5167cdd023d4

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:01 AM
  • I have enabled the Desktop Settings with GPO.  I can successfully roam taskbar settings and some other desktop related items.  What I need to be able to roam are desktop and pinned taskbar icons.  The links above don't seem to help.  As I look in the xml I don't see anything related to the desktop icons.  I see where it sets to hide certain desktop icons but not to roam whatever a user happens to add to their desktop.  Is there a solution for this?
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Hi Dustin,

I found the same issues with desktop icons.  What I found is similar to what you have found in that there is no reference to desktop icons in the .xml file.  Here is a link to an option available in the UEV template gallery that doesn't completely address your issue, but can give you an idea of what would need to be done to roam desktop icons.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/UE-V-Settings-Location-16bc7ce4

Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:36 PM