none
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 driver for Windows 7

Question

• I have downloaded the driver from the NVIDIA site for Windows Vista.  It is version 96.85.  After the driver install, I am asked to reboot.  Upon bootup, the screen turns black (after the Windows 7 splash screen) and then eventually blue screens and reboots again.  Same thing happened when I did a Windows update and loaded the drivers from Microsoft.  Anyone else having problems with this video card and Windows 7?  TIA.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:44 AM

Answers

• One thing to bear in mind is that your Graphics card may not be compatible with Windows 7...check out this link: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/windows_7_solutions_uk.html or go to this for the US website: http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1241025430517.html

If you wish to troubleshoot then the first thing to do is to revert back to original driver that was first installed by Windows 7. You then need to make a note of the stop error code when it blue screens and to stop it rebooting automatically you will need to untick Automatically Restart check box. Do a right click on My Computer and click on Properties, on the left side of the window that opens up click on Advanced settings then click on Settings button for Startup and Recovery. You then uncheck the box as mentioned above and click OK to save the changes.  Install the nvidia drivers and wait for the blue screen problem to occur and make a note of all the details that appear and then do some research.

I had problems myself at first with getting blue screen problems with my Geforce 7600 GS card even with the latest drivers from nvidia. The stop code I kept on getting at first was 0x0000008E which is often described as a RAM problem or some other hardware issue. I then downloaded the nvidia drivers from MSI who manufactured the graphics card I have and since then I have not had any problems.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:42 PM

All replies

• One thing to bear in mind is that your Graphics card may not be compatible with Windows 7...check out this link: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/windows_7_solutions_uk.html or go to this for the US website: http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1241025430517.html

If you wish to troubleshoot then the first thing to do is to revert back to original driver that was first installed by Windows 7. You then need to make a note of the stop error code when it blue screens and to stop it rebooting automatically you will need to untick Automatically Restart check box. Do a right click on My Computer and click on Properties, on the left side of the window that opens up click on Advanced settings then click on Settings button for Startup and Recovery. You then uncheck the box as mentioned above and click OK to save the changes.  Install the nvidia drivers and wait for the blue screen problem to occur and make a note of all the details that appear and then do some research.

I had problems myself at first with getting blue screen problems with my Geforce 7600 GS card even with the latest drivers from nvidia. The stop code I kept on getting at first was 0x0000008E which is often described as a RAM problem or some other hardware issue. I then downloaded the nvidia drivers from MSI who manufactured the graphics card I have and since then I have not had any problems.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hello

On Windows Update on Windows 7 it has the Driver for this Graphics Card because when I first installed Windows 7 the Drivers were not installed and so I connected to the Internet Ran Windows Update and the driver was on there!

I have this card too so thats how I know!
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:37 PM
  • I dont know how helpful this is..but, i have a toshiba tecra m2 laptpp with a GeForce FX 5200 .  When i tried to install 96.85, it said that it couldnt find the product.  After searching endlessly, I ended up finding a modified nvidia graphics driver (Laptopvideo2go.com) since nvidia stopped supporting my card.  When I installed this thing, I can now run Aero and furthermore I'm getting better resolutions out of my card than I ever did. Now I'm not advocating this, but in my case, it really helped the performance of 7 for me. Just my 2 cents.

• Proposed as answer by danielgr Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:29 PM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:46 PM
  • I dont know how helpful this is..but, i have a toshiba tecra m2 laptpp with a GeForce FX 5200 .  When i tried to install 96.85, it said that it couldnt find the product.  After searching endlessly, I ended up finding a modified nvidia graphics driver (Laptopvideo2go.com) since nvidia stopped supporting my card.  When I installed this thing, I can now run Aero and furthermore I'm getting better resolutions out of my card than I ever did. Now I'm not advocating this, but in my case, it really helped the performance of 7 for me. Just my 2 cents.

Hi qmartman,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I had the same problem as you, tried everything I could find in the net, but finally it was your tip that helped me out.

Regards,

Daniel
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hello qmartman and daniel,
    Can you please tell me the driver name / version that you use for FX 5200, because I couldnt find the correct files

Thank you
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hi
    you can run the windows update its automatically checks for the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
    and finds for the driver and installs it
    mine is also the same card i have done the same thing

hope it helps
    NIKHIL
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Hi
    you can run the windows update its automatically checks for the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
    and finds for the driver and installs it
    mine is also the same card i have done the same thing

hope it helps
    NIKHIL

Are you sure you've got the same card (i.e. a mobile Gefore FX 5200 for laptops?) and trying to make it work with Windows Vista or 7 ?
    Because you are the first person I've heard that has found that drive on Windows Update...
    Not even Nvidia provides drivers for that card, and windows simply installs a generic driver who is close to useless...
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:41 PM
    Can you please tell me the driver name / version that you use for FX 5200, because I couldnt find the correct files

Thank you

Hi enkeiz,

I went to Laptopvideo2go.com and downloaded their modified 96.85 driver (tried other newer ones but couldn't get them work).
    http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/vista/96.85/disclaimer

For it to work properly you have: 

1. Download the driver and extract it to any folder
    2. Download the "modified INF file" and over-write the original nvidia file on the install folder
    3. Install the driver with the Setup.exe file

It's working decently well on Windows 7 -32bit  for me...
    Good luck !

• Proposed as answer by qmartman711 Friday, October 02, 2009 2:17 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:53 PM
  • I have just installed the latest MSDNA Windows 7 build 7600 RTM. No Aero at first.. checked Windows Update, low and behold it found a new(er) driver... (FX5200)
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for the help and the quick response.

Best Regards,

nK
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:47 PM
  • I have been having prob with the drivers for fx 5 series and windows 7 the nividia web site sait it wasnt making driver updates for the fx 5 series for windows 7 but i guess they did and i cant get it  to work right after i install i usually cant even sign in but if it does let me then it ends up freezing on me so i have had to roll back the driver trying to find solution now if i do ill write it on here
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Install a Vista nVIDIA driver.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Install a Vista nVIDIA driver.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Doesnt work,....
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:24 PM
  • guys i found it

i'm using nvidia 5200fx same vista dirver 96.85 in windows 7

same trouble "aero" perormance is not working

i found it

just type windows 7 personalize in google and download one of the theam for win7

just double click it everything will be change

now my desktop filled with glass

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Nada.  Any other options to get the drivers to work.  I got Windows 7 to install but now it says:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

So, do I just go randomly disabling devices?

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:19 AM
  • I'm having this same problem. Have a Dell Optiplex 755 running Windows 7 64bit. Installed the Windows Update driver for the FX 5200 and upon rebooting and logging in all I see is black. Obviously a driver issue. I thought it might be the fact that the onboard video was still enabled so I booted into safe mode and disabled it but I'm still having the problem. Anyone else have any answers or suggestions?
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:52 PM
  • I have a similar problem.  I'm running a HP xw8600 Workstation with a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 using video card driver Version 9.6.8.5 dated Version 9.6.8.5.  Like the person before me I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 7.  Everything seems to be fine, except that some Java programs the program will either show a window with all black inside or transparent.  This usually happens in the primary monitor.  I didn't mention I'm using two monitors as well.  Sometime when the Java program is in the secondary monitory, and I minimize it, restore it, and then use Areo peek to select another dialog in the same Java program.  The redraw of the first restored dialog ends up being a mix of both dialogs of the program.  Is anyone else having this kind of problem.  I'm fairly convinced it is the video card driver, but I'm not sure what other driver I could use on the workstation to support the GeForce FX 5200 card.  Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Can someone provide the actual instructions to get a GeForce 5200 card to work with Windows 7? I have a Toshiba Laptop (Satellite M35-S320). Does the PC maker even make a difference? What driver and what INF file do I need to install to make my card work with Win 7? Please provide the installation instructions too.

Thanks for the help!!

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Your machine is far to underpowered to be using Windows 7, go back to XP which it came with.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++ I have lots of papers on my site for power supplies and video card problems, see the resources section
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:13 AM
  • I can confirm this method is working very well, my card is now recognized as a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 in the device manager, not a generic VGA Graphic card, and I can now adjust the screen refresh rate en enable Aero desktop. Thank you.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 12:17 AM
  • I just purchased windows 7 premium 32 bit exc. I am running on dell dimension 8300 with a NVIDIA GForce FX5200 graphics card and it took me about 10 hours to get my sound working and Warcraft 3 to recognize my DirectX 11... So I will post the whole story since all day I spent looking through forums, I got a bunch of advice that did NOTHING for me.

FIRST: GO TO START>ALL PROGRAMS>WINDOWS UPDATE and make sure everything is up to date, I did all 3 of these steps and everything started working so I will list everything I did.

SO to make warcraft 3 work I made sure my DirectX was updated to 11, which is compatible w 7, then I made sure my Graphics card was up to date. (see if it is up to date by clicking start>run>type: dxdiag.) That will bring up what Graphics card you are running and the version, download whatever necessary update there is from the net.

Come to find out my NVIDIA GForce FX5200 had no driver update for that specific video card that worked on 7... Researched everywhere and no one had the answer.. SO, for shits and giggles I tried the Vista version update of that video card, and IT WORKED. THANK GOD.

My sound ended up working without me having to buy a new sound card like everyone said I would... I just did the windows update as I first states. Updated my DirectX and Video Card (Vista Version since they didn't have one for 7) and my sound worked and Warcraft 3 finally recognized my DirectX 11... PAIN IN THE ____. I hope i can save someone for the hours of torture I endured.
    Friday, October 08, 2010 6:12 AM

Thank you

Hi enkeiz,

I went to Laptopvideo2go.com and downloaded their modified 96.85 driver (tried other newer ones but couldn't get them work).
    http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/vista/96.85/disclaimer

For it to work properly you have: 

1. Download the driver and extract it to any folder
    2. Download the "modified INF file" and over-write the original nvidia file on the install folder
    3. Install the driver with the Setup.exe file

It's working decently well on Windows 7 -32bit  for me...
    Good luck !

Hello!

I recently upgraded my PC to windows 7 and when triying to find the drivers for the new OS for my old FX5200 Nvidia card i find its not supported in the official Nvidia page... :(

I have tried the installation above unzipping and overwriting the old .inf but the seutp shows an error saying Setup had detected the OS is not Vista"

:///

Any advice ?

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Hi  Svuldruck !

It is very important to install the updates from microsoft site , if you do that the setup will not respond like in your case.

Good luck !

Monday, December 06, 2010 7:34 PM
  • DUDE!!!! you rule completely.... After HOURS & HOURS of searching I found your advice most helpful...

I followed the simple instructions and it works even better than before....

You are as Sheldon Cooper would say a 'Homus Novus' LOL

Thanx a mil... You have no idea how grateful I am...

Friday, January 07, 2011 6:09 AM
  • dear i kno wt u want to say keep ur mind nvidia geforce is design for xp not vista or win7 win7 is latest so can not downlaod any driver u say u instal 98. etc som thing that driver is soo old version dont try again ist use xp if u using nnvidia geforce fx5200 ok and install like 175.16_geforce_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe
    Friday, February 04, 2011 5:55 PM
  • That driver will not work with Vista or Windows 7 properly.

A more recent machine is the only real solution. Computers are dirt cheap now.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

• Proposed as answer by eric4211 Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by eric4211 Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:31 PM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 8:39 PM
  • running on my computer: the fx5200 xp driver can run in win7 with compatability mode for xp sp3. no aero, but all the resolutions and refresh rates work and device manager shows it working properly. 6.14.11.7519. date 5/16/2008. tried updating but appears nvidia fx 5200 drivers are the latest that work.  some manufactures re-write newer drivers that are possibly compatable with win7. example fx fifty five hundred sparkle brand has win7 drivers, if I remember right, and it runs aero. lowest hardware and price supporting aero I could find. vista drivers also work fine in my experience. works great for the parts and computers I recycled. windows 7 reports hardware missing for direct-x-9. nvidia system monitor.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Hi to everyone,

My laptop is a Toshiba satellite P25 series running w7 and  Nvidia Geforce fx Go 5200 graphic card. I have also explored the web looking for a solution to this problem but without luck. I modified the original 96.85 driver (only 2 files are requiered); after installing, the screen resolution is the one recommended by Microsoft (1440x900) but Aero has to be disabled so that the system doesn´t fail, although from time to time the screen blinks but nothing serious.

My main concern is to know if Nvidia or someone else could fix this issue because, in my case, the graphic card is integrated to motherboard and it is not possible to install a new one. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I have an old VGA card on my backup machine. The machine is a Pentium II running at 300 MHz and I have an FX 5200in it. The card is somewhat more recent as its AGP 4x but fits almost all slots.

That card is now considered a legacy part but it works OK with the built-in drivers in XP.

I do not think its going to be a very good experience with Windows 7 on such an old piece of equipment.

I do not think the FX 5200 manages 1 on the WEI

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:16 PM
  • SWEET FIX!!! This works great! I rebuilt an old Tecra M2 for my motherin law, used Win7 Pro and got a little more perf out of the machine than with XP AND with steps from danielgr she can now play Solitaire without complaining since the video driver is now recognized;) Nice to know the MVPs are out there to keep it real!
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Dr. Data, thank you as well.  6 months later and I'm benifiting from your suggestion.  I have been trying to get my GeForce FX 5500 card working in a PCI slot.  I have a Windows 7 system in which the Geforce Nvidia driver for it, is only updated up to cover Vista, but there is no GeForce driver indicated for Windwos 7 on their site for these older video cards.  I add what many have said, your system is too old for Windows 7 devices to work.  Well, I got it working.  I had the same message that Svuldruck was having in getting the Vista driver to download to try to use it for Windows 7- I think it was saying something like:  Setup had detected the OS is not Vista and would not let me install that driver.  As you said Dr. Data, run the updates and then it should take and it did and installed.  But now I wanted to know that it applied that driver to that video card.  To make sure, I went into Start, right clicked on My Computer, select Manage, selected Device Manager, found the Display video card that I plugged in, then Uninstalled Driver for it.  Then I had to refresh by right clicking on the Display Adapters and pressed Scan for Hardware Changes, give it time as it took a few seconds and finally, after doing it a couple times actually, I saw the screen flicker and the video card showed up in there again.  Perhaps I did not need to Uninstall Drivers at all, because it immediately showed it as having drivers associated with it as it gave me an option to Update Drivers, but not just to install drivers.  Anyhows, so then I clicked on Update Drivers, then clicked on the option to find the drivers myself on the system and then found where the Vista driver was and applied that.  Then it made me restart the system to apply changes.  It appeared to apply changes, but still when I'd switch the monitor cord from the onboard video to the video card, nothing but no screen or monitor registering.  However, the system was starting up or happening because I could switch the cord back to the onboard video and everything shows up. 

But now I would plug my monitor cord into the new video card and nothing.  So, what I wanted to do is add to this thread to help provide another layer to people solutions to similar problems.  That additional thing I had to do that I did not find in my reading helps was this.  For my computer, I wondered if there was not just a mechanism I had to employ to manually switch from the onboard video to the PCI video card.  I googled it and went to this site http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Onboard/Integrated-Video-On-Your-Computer and the basic ingredient that made the difference was to go into my Bios, I think it was Advanced for my mother board and then selected the video display which was by default listing AGP or something like that as the first element boot choice.  I had to change it to PCI as the first listed device, then saved and then before or while it started to boot I hurried and switched the monitor cord to the new card and presto, it all is working like a charm.  The card had to do some adjusting and I might have to do some manual adjusting to screen resolution, but my first attempt after all of this was to now see if World of Warcraft or Frozen Throne would open up instead of freezing on the start screen and presto, it is working and showing my game.  Just in case this can also help somebody, there is a process in the bios sometimes to change the default location your mother board will look for your video card options to start from.  For all I know, perhaps the default video driver options would have worked and maybe I never needed the Vista drivers, but I think perhaps I've needed them because so many others have confronted similar problems with Windows 7 playing older video cards.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:13 AM
  • [SOLVED]I've been beating my head against this problem on and off for months since installing Win7 on my old Pentium 4 Dell for my mom. Microsoft's "Standard VGA Adapter" driver severely limited the system's capability, limiting resolutions to 4:3 aspect and disabling all directx features, for instance. Nvidia's 96.85 Vista driver produced only a black screen with a cursor, requiring a reboot into Safe Mode to roll back the driver. 

The solution was ridiculously simple, in my case. My mom had plugged in both the DVI and VGA cables from her monitor to the 5200 FX's ports, and while switching between the two input modes in the monitor's menu, it occurred to me that it might be worth loading up the 96.85 driver again and switching modes when I got to the black screen. Eureka! I toggled the monitor's input/source button, and the black screen was replaced by Windows' log-in screen.

Now I have my mom's monitor running its native widescreen resolution on the DVI, with her 32" HDTV set up as a second monitor on VGA, and Aero running smoothly.

• Proposed as answer by TheTaosaur Friday, July 08, 2011 10:57 PM
    Friday, July 08, 2011 10:56 PM
  • I had to use a PCI FX5200 a few weks ago, I installed the 96.85 Vista drivers and it worked well but slow. Turn off hardware accelleration if you use Firefox though.
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:38 AM
  • I have mentioned that the old FX 5200 is a very old GeForce series card that is orphaned by NVIDIA.

Aero needs shader 2, the FX 5200 is not shader 2

I have a GPU-Z screen shot of it to show that

Windows MVP, paid Remote Assistance is available for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:53 AM
  • I don't use Aero, only Windows as a platform for running software.
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 5:20 AM
  • In Windows 7 I've installed last XP/2000 drivers for Geforce FX serie (175.16), downloaded from Nvidia site, by manually update, choosing the folder where the setup extracted them. They work perfectly.

If you don't need Aero, or it causes you some problems, turn it off by choosing Windows 7/Vista Basic theme.

Regards,

Gianluca Genovese

Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Try this. it is the new Nvidia driver update tools for windows 7 

#mce_temp_url#

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Worked absolutely perfect, perfect. Desktop PC with FX5200 addin card. Did as instructed, now 1280x something resolution and runs aero perfectly.

Thanks

Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Hi, I too was having problems with the same fx 5200 graphics card, compatability mode was no good, and it refused to load the driver stating it was incompatable. - well it isn't. What I did was to copy the needed driver when being used by windows vista into a special folder I called graphics card in my windows 7 downloads folder,- all the bits i could find that seemed connected to the  nvidia card in  vista drivers in system 32 , & especially those named in  the working vista driver device manager properties I copied the lot to the folder including the relevant inf files, then  booted back into  my windows 7,  I then  updated my basic vga graphics card driver, forcing it to load the Nvidia geforce fx 6600 from the list, a windows 7 recognized card, which  it begrudgingly loaded for me, even though it didn't work & I was left with the sasme original microsoft generic basic VGA settings,  my graphics card now however was calling itself, the nvidia 6600 (a windows 7 acceptable card) -I then once more updated the drivers for the newly named  fx 6600 card, but this time I forced the computer to accept the driver in my homemade graphics card folder. low and behold, it thinks I'm running an Nvidia ge-force fx6600 & I have the full working capability of my Nvidia ge-force fx5200 - Suck that Billy boy
    • Proposed as answer by windows 7 nerd Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:12 AM