none
HP LaserJet 1010 not recognized by Windows 7 (64-bit)

Question

• My HP LaserJet 1010 (USB-printer) is not automatically recognized by Windows 7 (64-bit). I am unable to install the printer manually. I did locate a Vista 64-bit driver for this printer on the HP-website, but I don't understand how I could use the inf-file. I can't find a way to tell Win7 where to look...
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:27 PM

Answers

• I got it to work trough downloading the same zip file, and then chose <add printer> in printers and devices. I had already connected the printer and it was installed with DOT4 ladida, but couldnt print (itwas actually identified by win7, but only by name and pretty picture). During installation I pointed it to that folder (unzipped first, the folder), and hey presto - it worked. If that works for you as well someone should spread the word as i see the same question unanswered a few other places. 
    :-S Amazingly it was just to install it instead of trying to sneak it in through the backdoor. I was really happy not to have to consider to get a new printer.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:55 PM

All replies

• Hanzin,

Try installing the printer using the method provided by the poster "Frank El Paso" in this forum thread.
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Can't find a proper install program on the HP-site. For Vista 64-bit there's only a zip file that contains one inf-file (no, there's no oslist in this file) and a bunch of cab-files. That's why Frank's method doesn't work for me. 

I tried to install the printer although Win7 states that's impossible for a USB-printer. Chose USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB), hoping this makes sense. Pointed through Have Disk to the inf-file and everything seems to install perfectly. Unfortunately nothing happens, I can't print. 

I tried the same thing through Windows Update instead of Have Disk. Found a LaserJet 1015, close enough. Funny things happened after installation (other printer disappeared), but printing was impossible.

So I'm still stuck...

Han
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:13 AM
  • I got it to work trough downloading the same zip file, and then chose <add printer> in printers and devices. I had already connected the printer and it was installed with DOT4 ladida, but couldnt print (itwas actually identified by win7, but only by name and pretty picture). During installation I pointed it to that folder (unzipped first, the folder), and hey presto - it worked. If that works for you as well someone should spread the word as i see the same question unanswered a few other places. 
    :-S Amazingly it was just to install it instead of trying to sneak it in through the backdoor. I was really happy not to have to consider to get a new printer.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:55 PM
  • khaakon's answer puzzled me, mainly because his method didn't work for me. I didn't give up and finally my LaserJet 1010 is printing again...

First I removed all traces of my previous attempts to install the printer.

Switching the printer on still gave the same result: in Devices and Printers it showed up as an unspecified device. Nothing new here.

Once again I clicked on Add a printer. I chose Add a local printer (ignoring the warning about not trying to install a USB-printer...). This time I tried Use an existing port with DOT4_001.

I used Windows Update to search for the correct driver. After a couple of minutes I could not find my LaserJet 1010, but settled for the LaserJet 1015.

In Devices and Printers my printer still shows up as an unspecified device and of course there now was a new printer installed: the LaserJet 1015. I had seen this happening before, but this time I was able to print again. Phew.

Han
    Monday, July 27, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Just searching for the issue with my LJ1010. Even I can use it as a Laserjet 1015, it is still problematic, i.e. when printing multiple pages, the printer simply fed itself too fast (I thought it's because LJ1015 is a 15ppm device while LJ1010 only prints at 6ppm), paper jammed every 2 pages... does anyone encounter the same issue and comes up with a solution?
    • Proposed as answer by Holodoc B Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:27 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Excuse me for wrongly marking the last entry as answer.

I changed from win xp x32 to 7 x64 and had the same problem with a missing 1010 driver. Download the vista x64 driver from hp resulted in a VERY slow printer which printed with long breaks after every page, inacceptable.
    Solution:
    Add printer - Dot4_001 - Windows Update, take the HP LaserJet 3055 PCL5. After this, the 1010 prints (as 3055) fine.
    Bothered by the wrong printer name and symbol: take the 1010 previously installed (with the slow vista driver), go to printer properties and change the 1010 driver to the 3055 driver. Symbol and name of the 1010 remain correct. You can even delete the 3055 printer now from the printer list - the driver will remain on the system.
    Only in some app's print menu you will see the hp Laserjet 1010 as printer name but HP LaserJet 3055 PCL5 as printer type, and in the win7 printers and devices menu a unnown device symbol LaserJet1010 remains below the printers row - bu t who cares - better than buying a new printer with maybe more expensive toners and drums (sorry hp).

HolodocB

Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:35 PM
  • khaakon's answer puzzled me, mainly because his method didn't work for me. I didn't give up and finally my LaserJet 1010 is printing again...

Switching the printer on still gave the same result: in Devices and Printers it showed up as an unspecified device. Nothing new here.

Once again I clicked on Add a printer . I chose Add a local printer (ignoring the warning about not trying to install a USB-printer...). This time I tried Use an existing port with DOT4_001 .

I used Windows Update to search for the correct driver. After a couple of minutes I could not find my LaserJet 1010, but settled for the LaserJet 1015 .

In Devices and Printers my printer still shows up as an unspecified device and of course there now was a new printer installed: the LaserJet 1015. I had seen this happening before, but this time I was able to print again. Phew.

Han
    Thanks for this worked a treat and I thought I was going to have to get a new printer!
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:33 PM

Once again I clicked on Add a printer. I chose Add a local printer (ignoring the warning about not trying to install a USB-printer...). This time I tried Use an existing port with DOT4_001.

I used Windows Update to search for the correct driver. After a couple of minutes I could not find my LaserJet 1010, but settled for the LaserJet 1015.

Han
    It worked for me too.  Many thanks! 
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:42 PM
  • I'm unable to installed HP 1010 printer Driver in my Laptop.. Its working in my other Desktop Computer.. can you find out or suggest whats wrong? 

• Proposed as answer by KEKHRIE Monday, May 10, 2010 8:23 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:22 AM
  • thank you very much... it worked very well for me as well...

b/w how did you figure out the port??? randomly???

or sum logic???

Monday, July 05, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Hi Kekhrie,

Hp Laserjet 1010 Driver for download link,

Good Luck

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:03 PM
  • this works. Thanks!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:47 PM
  • was just wondering if anyone can help with installing the hp LaserJet 1010 printer on a wireless network?

as it is not a local printer this option is not working?

I have installed it on my desktop and it worked,

but now on the laptop witch is connected on a wireless network i can't seem to get the printer to work?

thank you

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:42 AM
  • hi, I worked this hp laserjet 1010 driver for Windows 7
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:36 PM
  • I know its been a while but i hope this helps if your still trying. Finally got mine working on all 3 PC's in my net and here is how.

Instead of doing the DOT_blah blah port what you need to look for is the \\hostname\printername in the use existing port part and then use the drivers you choose. really not sure how this happened but i have a driver called HP Laserjet 1010 HB from a previous attempt some weeks back so i just used it but i'm sure the ones listed above will work too. :-)

Best of luck. but 1 note it takes some time to print even a test page so i'm not sure whats up with that?

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:47 AM
  • it worked for me as well...thanks alotttttt

XPe beginner!
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:30 AM
  • This worked. I read this thread after 5 hours of labor trying to figure it out, then I did this and it took 1 minute and it is printing.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:50 AM
  • dude all u have to do is just go to control panel I chose Add a local printer  This time I tried Use an existing port with DOT4_001.then let it search after few minutes it will display something ignore it go to left dialog box and select hp ..then select hp laserjet 1015 ..click on it n wait for the magic .. hope it will help coz it worked for me
    Monday, June 20, 2011 12:59 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue. I installed the Vista x64 drivers. I connected the printer via USB and it worked flawlessly. However, when trying to set it up with Bluetooth, printing fails. A signal goes to the device but nothing prints and I can't delete the job.
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Thanks for this thread it helped a lot, but I cannot use the windows vista 64 bit driver even when I brose to it to select the driver, It seems to error because the printer is located on a XP 32bit based computer via usb and shared over the network.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

ps it installs via usb fine.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:30 AM
  • cheers mate thats that was like cake walk..

it worked for me.

you rock.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:53 PM
  • install hp laserjet 1010 on windows 7 64 bit (yes its true)

1. power on the printer plug in the USB cable to laptop or desktop.

2. laptop will search it may recognise USB support & will show not recognised the ieee something. close it when it is done.

3. On your laptop click on start Devices & printers u will see a box named 1010 but it will be of no use.

4. Now click on add printer >> select manufacturer as HP >> On right hand side select printer model as HP LASERJET 3055 PCL5 Click Next >> printer installed & done.

5. You are ready to print from your oldy 1010 :-D

P.S.:- Make sure to unzip or the software file(laserjet 1010) to c drive of your laptop well i done it.

& yes  choose the printer port as DOT004.
    • Edited by yippedo Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nisso_1 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Not for win7 64bit as the question really was about, but for all others this link or directly to hp.com is ok.

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:28 PM
  • This was very helpful. Thanks. Just for others to know: even the LaserJet 1015 was away when I tested. Use HP LaserJet 3055 PCL5 instead and the 1010 will work perfect. You can even rename the name of the printer directly to HP LaserJet 1010 when you install. Than the printer will be shown as a 1010 and the only tiny difference is that the icon shows a 3055, but that does noe mean anything at all.

The LJ1010 is still going strong for me. HP should do it easier for us than this, but they want to sell new printers to us.

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:37 PM
  • any ideas?

hanks for this thread it helped a lot, but I cannot use the windows vista 64 bit driver even when I brose to it to select the driver, It seems to error because the printer is located on a XP 32bit based computer via usb and shared over the network.

thanks in advance.

ps it installs via usb fine.

helo

I have the same problem...did you fix it????

• Edited by laranjo Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:26 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:10 PM
  • THE BEST CHOISE IS SELECT HP LJ 1010 AS HP LJ 2200 SERIES pcl 5 I TEST IT WORKS NO PROBLEM...  LOOKS LIKE WIN XP .. ANY DIFFERENCE..  (I TEST IT ON WIN 7 64 BIT...  I INSTALLED HP 1015 DRIVER ON 32 IT ALSO WORKS GOOD SAME THING WITH THE WIN XP)
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:08 PM
  • as posts below show, there are a number of hp drivers which will make the laserjet 1010 function.

HOWEVER, note that after printing a number of pages, these drivers will fail in every instance.

you get an empty page with just... unsupported personality; PCL.... message

this is because the buffer gets filled

if you turnoff the printer and turn it back on, the buffer is cleared and you can print again...for a while

so far as i have found there is no driver which works the way it should

Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Thanx mate for ur help
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:21 PM
  • thannxx alott
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:37 AM
    • Thanks ALOT..............  good job
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:02 PM
  • My HP LaserJet 1010 (USB-printer) is not automatically recognized by Windows 7 (64-bit). I am unable to install the printer manually. I did locate a Vista 64-bit driver for this printer on the HP-website, but I don't understand how I could use the inf-file. I can't find a way to tell Win7 where to look...
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Have managed a little bit better solution based on using HP1015 Vista 64bit driver for HP1010.

Here is my hint:

- first tried to plain install HP1010 Vista 64bit driver on W7 64bit through 'add printer' wizard. Installs fine, but pressing 'Printing preferences' will kill explorer and no settings dialog... Went to google and found many ideas to use HP3050, 5200, and others... Than found this post mentioning use HP1015 driver instead of HP1010, as 1010,1012,1015 are in the same package.

- changed driver to 1015, and - bingo - now i have 'preferences' for my printer working...

- but this is not the end... Now i have two drivers (NOT printers, but just drivers) in my system - one for 1010, another one is for 1015. So changed BACK driver to HP1010, and, magically, still have 'preferences' working!

Final steps:
    Install Vista 64bit printer driver for HP1010, change driver to HP1015 (pointing again to the same drivers folder extracted from package), than change it BACK to HP1010. Duh! Do NOT remove drivers for HP1015 from system! (N.B.: you can use HP1012 instead of HP1015 drivers).

PS. I suppose some dll file(s) is(are) missing in HP1010 inf section, but is(are) present in HP1012/15 sections, so having those drivers in system eventually supply those missing dll(s) to spooler...

• Edited by D F Friday, August 17, 2012 9:57 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Working solution on win 7 32 & 64 with driver lj1010serieshb-vista, did as follow:

• connected printer, windows tried to auto install and failed, device was listed as unspecified.
    • googled for lj1010serieshb-vista(32/64).zip driver, downloaded from hp website, unzipped and extracted files.
    • Start > Run > PrintManagement.msc , then Print Servers > Localhost , right click on drivers > add driver > next > choose x86/x64 > next > have disk > browse to location of extracted files, select hpc1015e.inf > ok > select hp laserjet 1010 hb > next > finish
    • Repeat above process and this time select select hp laserjet 1015 hb > next > finish , this step is needed as stated on previous post some files are missing on the 1010 driver and adding 1015 fixes the problem.
    • Now back to Devices and printers , right click on the unspecified device > troubleshoot > then will ask to search for driver, select "apply this fix" , it will find and install the correct driver from previous step > then will ask to set printer as default, select "apply this fix" > then will ask if you want to share printer, select "skip this fix" if you don't want to share > close troubleshooter.

Now i have perfectly working printer, 'preferences'  is working and not crashing win explorer and printer doesn't hung.

I guess you could first add the two drivers to your system before connecting your printer and it would install perfectly but who would though this old printer would not work trough windows update.

thanks to the people who went by trial and error to find a working solution.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:09 PM
  • thank you! its woking now!!!
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:38 AM